• Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Post All Articles Relating to Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi HERE

The Rediff Interview / Mona Singh

From Jassi to Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi

May 13, 2008

Mona Singh, who created waves with Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahi and Jhalak Dikhla Jaa, is back with a new show called Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi on Sony Entertainment Television. She will host the show, which is about individuals going in for a complete transformation.

The show is based on the popular US show Extreme Makeover where ordinary men and women undergo extreme makeovers involving plastic surgery, exercise regimes, hairdressing and wardrobe changes.

Rajul Hegde talks to Mona to find out more.

Tell us about the show.

The show documents the physical transformation of people. It gives them a once-in-a-lifetime chance to undergo a complete transformation with the help of cosmetic surgery, make-up, dentistry, dermatologists and personal trainers. The show hopes to change not only an individual's looks but his life as well.

How different is it different from other reality shows?

First of all, there is no winning or losing. There are no judges and there is no voting system. Unlike other reality shows, which are mostly about singing and dancing, this show intends to correct the lives of distraught individuals, facing stigma and loneliness due to their physical features. These are the people, who have been accepted by their families, but rejected by society.

What was the criteria for selection?

A team of experts have selected 10 people with extreme cases.

What made you take up this show?

When I was shooting for Jassi, I was told by the channel about a new show based on Extreme Makeover and that they wanted me to host it. I was excited because somewhere Jassi also started with the trend of a makeover. I think this kind of show has never happened in Indian television before.

How does each episode begin?

Each episode opens with the person's case history and how the entire process happened. After surgery and the recovery process, which in some cases takes several months, candidates will not be allowed to meet their family as the show requires their transformation be a surprise to family and friends. In each episode, the viewer will witness the agony and ecstasy of the participant and the final victory.

Any particular case which touched your heart?

As a matter of fact, there are three cases -- Jhony, Shameem and Slesha. Their lives have undergone a dramatic change after their makeovers.

Slesha, who had severe dental problems, dreams of becoming a model. She got to fulfil her wish after her stunning makeover.

Do you think you need to look good in order to be accepted and appreciated in society?

This show is of extreme makeover. The people, who have been selected, are not people with normal problems like their chin being too long or their lips are too thin. These are the people, who have actually been ridiculed because of their deformities. It's a noble cause with noble intentions.

Tell us about your experience in the show.

It was a challenging project for me and an emotional journey as well. We had difficult cases and I had to confront them. I needed to be calm and positive for the people on the show, which was not easy. The best part about the show is helping people solve their problems.

Will we see you in any soaps soon?

After doing a substantial role like Jassi, I wouldn't like to get involved in a typical saas-bahu role. So far there is nothing exciting.

Any dream roles?

Jassi was my dream role. I loved anchoring shows like Jhalak Dikhla Jaa and Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi. I would love to anchor Indian Idol [Images].

Your beau Karan Oberoi has launched his own production house. Will you be working with him?

Karan has offered me a cameo role in his serial Haadsa but I don't know when I will be doing it. He is working hard since he is acting and producing the show.

He is playing a rough and tough cop in the show. I hope his production house becomes successful.

What about films?

I have a couple of movie offers but let me see what works out best. I will not quit television for films.

Mona Singh
Transcript of LIVE INDIATIMES CHAT with TV actress, Mona Singh at 3pm (IST) on Friday, July 21, 2006, in Mumbai

"There is no godfather in the industry; it's only your talent which will take you places."

Mona Singh
TV actress

simiHi > Mona we are missing our darling Jassi and her Armaan Sir! Now that Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi has ended. What moments do you remember most in terms of best scenes, worst scenes, and sad scenes? What do you miss most and what will you always cherish from Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi ?
Mona Singh > More than the scenes I miss shooting for Jassi ... I will always cherish my fans that I have got from Jassi ...My best scene was with Armaan, when I see him in Nanital when he is already married to Mallika.

Anjali > Hi Mona! Kudos for saying you won't do saas-bahu soaps. Why don't you tell your pal Rakshanda the same?
Mona Singh > Why don't you tell her yourself when you chat with her next!

Simi > For die-hard fans like me, Jassi ended very abruptly. For months it was just dragging and when it ended it was more of bhootni Vidhi's story than Armaan & Jassi's! Why didn't we get to see Nandu's marriage, Armaan and Jassi's kid, rather than just the ghostly presence of all guest characters?
Mona Singh > Thanks for being a die hard fan and I am sorry about the story being so abrupt. I can't have done anything, I wasn't writing it.

Paparazzi > Hello Mona what are your future projects?
Mona Singh > Right now I am doing another show, which it is a reality show called, 'Extreme Makeover'

Simi > Mona heard that you will be hosting a new serial "Extreme Makeover"...am looking forward to seeing you again on TV although it seems like you are stuck with 'makeovers'!
Mona Singh > Yes I guess I have become the makeover queen. But this one is for a very good cause and it will also be changing people's lives.

Anoophi > Jassi ji how are you? Main aapka fan no.1 hoon aur meri sister aapko bahut manti hai or woh aap se baat karna chati hai kya aap usse baat karengi agar aapka koi no. ho to pls.dedijiy.
Mona Singh > Thank you. Number to nahin lekin chat zaroor kar sakti hoon .

Simi > Mona, if Dilwale Dulhaniya (DDLJ) was to be remade and you were taken as Simran, which TV actor would you want to be Raj?
Mona Singh > Armaan sir because unke jaisa koi nahin ...

Ananya > Hey Mona we really miss you and Apoorva. When will we see both in action again?
Mona Singh > At parties...hahahahahah. Thank you for giving us so much love...

Pooja981> Hey Mona you were too good in Jassi. You look so beautiful, how do you manage to keep yourself so beautiful and elegant?
Mona Singh > Thank you. I guess it's because I am a Sardarni ...I also take good care of my skin. I drink at least 2 -3 liters of water a day. You should try the same...

Paparazzido > Do you think your Jassi image is too etched in public mind for you to do glamorous roles?
Mona Singh > Jassi was also glamorous after her makeover when she was playing Jessica (the model). So there is no such thing...

sharli_jv > What will be your role in your new project, 'Extreme Makeover'?
Mona Singh > It's a reality show and I will be hosting it...

Simi > Mona, I love your smile...you are one of those few people on TV whose smile reaches her eyes. There is so much warmth in those eyes...what according to you are your best features?
Mona Singh > Thank you so much. My nose, I think it's perfect. I don't have to get a nose job done (laughs)

pooja981 > Hi Mona you were too good in Jassi, can you share your birth date and email id?
Mona Singh > Thank you. My birthday is on 8 th Oct and I really don't get the time to check my mail...

Paparazzi > Who would you like to be paired opposite in a bollywood movie? Please be honest.
Mona Singh > Abhishek Bacchan...he's too hot!

Simi > Mona, what social cause is very close to your heart and in future what will we see Mona Singh doing most?
Mona Singh > I have adopted a child and am taking care of his education. This is a cause that is very close to my heart. Also I am doing a new show called 'Extreme Makeover' which is also for a very good cause...

sharli_jv > Mona, what will you choose if you are given a choice between TV and Films?
Mona Singh > Marriage (laughs)! My choice would be TV because this is where I started from.

armaan suri > Hi, tell me the truth were you the one who modeled for the Asian paints Commercial?
Mona Singh > Yes I very much modeled for the Asian paints commercial.

Paparazzi > Which is your most unforgettable moment in your life?
Mona Singh > I guess when the postal department came up with a Jassi stamp...that's the biggest thing that can happen to anyone!

Sharli_jv > Mona, I am a big fan of yours and cannot wait to see you again on TV. Can you tell me when your new project is likely to be aired?
Mona Singh > Thank you so much. The show will be on air around September.

Anjali > Please give us Bobby Pushkarna's phone number so that we can tell him to cast Apu opposite you in your movie!
Mona Singh > Don't bother...I have his number, I'll tell him!

Pooja981 > Hi Mona, when are you planning to get married, all your buddies have got married!
Mona Singh > I know! They are all so boring (laughs)

Omphello > I want to know whether you are a Punjabi or from Uttar Pradesh?
Mona Singh > I am a Punjabi from Punjab.

Paparazzi > Given a chance what would you change in the world?
Mona Singh > I will make sure that everybody is educated and earning for themselves.

Sharli_jv > Who were your best friends on the JJKN set? Have they been in touch with you now?
Mona Singh > My best friends included my director (Rohit Khanna), Apurva, Nandoo and yes they all are in touch with me.

Oviii > How do you see yourself at age 60?
Mona Singh > Very sexy...

pooja981 > Hey Mona how were you as a kid... were you naughty or a sweet child?
Mona Singh > I was very badmash as a kid . I used to trouble all my teachers and neighbors.

Paparazzi > What do you hate most and love most?
Mona Singh > Hate is a very strong word. I don't hate anything or anybody. I love my family and my lovely fans.

Sharli_jv > Mona, How was your Kerala trip? Did it help you to unwind from your 3 year long Jassi journey?
Mona Singh > Kerala is beautiful and Kerala massages are completely de-stressing so I had fun!

Anjali > Do you agree with your friend Karan Oberoi's comment on Kandyfloss that "Women prefer married men"?
Mona Singh > Actually all good things are either married, fattening or ill legal!

Sharli_jv > Mona, define an ideal life partner?
Mona Singh > He should be intelligent, looks really don't matter. He should have a great sense of humour and keep me happy!

Paparazzi > What is your advice to aspiring actors?
Mona Singh > It's only hard work and no short cuts. There is no godfather in the industry. It's only your talent which will take you places.

Sign Off message > See you guys... It was fun chatting with you. Thank you for all your love! Take care. Love Mona Singh

Sexy Mona Singh at Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi launch

Sexy Mona Singh ar Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi launch

A new reality show that changed peoples' lives forever

Every Thursday at 8.00 p.m.
Only on Sony Entertainment Television

Mumbai, May 12, 2008: Sony Entertainment Television has launched yet another innovative reality show Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi that gives a true once in a life time chance to a few individuals with flawed looks- people who were scared or maimed, people with a prominent birthmark, a congenial cleft lip, victims of acid attack or explosions- a complete transformation, not just by changing their looks, but their lives and destinies too.

Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi on Sony Entertainment Television will present people with real problems, problems that kept them away from facing the world, unfulfilled dreams & desires and finally how they achieved their ambitions and found their dreams come true.

Jassi aka Mona Singh hosts the show. In fact Mona traveled across the country to call for entries for the miraculous makeover. An appeal for medical case studies or true-life stories got overwhelming response. From the entries that came to the channel, a team of experts selected 10 people. These 10 have been fortunate to undergo this lifetime transformation.

Commenting on the show, host Mona Singh, said; 'As Jassi the 'ugly duckling' I have experienced what an individual undergoes in terms of rejection by ones peer group and the lack of confidence that comes from being beautifully challenged. So where my experience was restricted to that of rendering an on-screen character, even then it did make me think. I can empathize with people facing such situations in real life. An individual's deformity does become a barrier in his/her personal and professional life. I am so happy that Sony Entertainment Television has taken up such a mammoth task thro' this unique show to change peoples' lives and I am thrilled to be there for all these special people.'

Albert Almeida, Executive Vice President & Business Head of Sony Entertainment Television said why this is a unique show; 'This is a reality show with a difference. It is a show about hope, building back confidence and living ones dreams. There is no talent hunt involved, but every participant is a winner. What is even more emotional and poignant are the case histories (some are shocking & even heartbreaking) and the hurdles/handicaps they have overcome in this emotional journey. Through Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi we have tried to bring back hope & confidence to the individuals and smiles to many families. It's going to be 10 anxious weeks, 10 amazing episodes and 10 life changing stories to wait & watch for.'

Each episode opens with the person and his/her case history and how the entire process will happen. The viewer in each episode will witness the agony & ecstasy of the participant and the final victory. After the surgery what follows is the recovery process, which in some cases has been several months . The participant, the patient in this case, the procedure involved, the experts/doctors operating & attending on him/her, the anxious family & friends who are looking forward to nothing short of a miracle'everything adds to the tension & uniqueness of the show.

The magic of Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi is conjured through the skills of India's top plastic surgeons, eye surgeons and cosmetic dentists, along with a talented team of hair and makeup artists, stylists, and personal trainers'

Created by Howard Schultz in association with Disney ABC International Television Limited, Naya Roop Nayi Zindagi is produced by Miditech Private Limited and directed by Bimal Unnikrishnan.