NEW RECIPE THREAD 3 - Page 6

Posted: 15 years ago
Thanks for the recipes Sue & Indera.

Yesterday, I made a very easy version of Mango Shrikhand, which I thought I would share with all of you. 'Since my cooking is restricted to simple food, which does not involve much standing and preparation, this was all I could come up with for my friend's potluck lunch. '(I don't know if anyone has already posted this earlier, if so, please let me know.)

Mango Shrikhand:

1 can mango pulp

1 carton yogurt, plain lowfat

1 carton sour cream, nonfat

Elakkai powder

Saffron strands - a few

Directions:

1. Hang the yogurt in a cheesecloth and allow to strain for about two hours. '

2. Whisk the mango pulp and the sour cream thoroughly into the hung yogurt, till the mixture is smooth and creamy.

3. Add a pinch of elakkai powder and warmed saffron (I warmed it in the microwave for about 10 seconds)to the mixture and blend well.

4. Chill thoroughly and decorate with chopped nuts before serving.

Edited by eljay - 15 years ago
Originally posted by Sue Nair

Thanks Supree your Barfi looks so delicious. Its Nair bhaiya's favourite. We always get it from a North Indian shoppe whenever we happen to be in that area. Your squares are so neatly cut identical pieces. You have presented 7 pieces for a 7 Cup Barfi.!!πŸ˜† Enna... is No.7 your lucky number???πŸ˜‰

Thank you so much SueAkka for your nice and wonderful compliments.... ☺️ πŸ˜ƒ  I knew/ and kind of expected that some one would notice that 'count' of burfis I put in that plate and ask me about it.... and you surely didn't upset me Akka. I placed 7 of them as it's 7 cup cake/burfi recipe... And of course, let me share one other tiny detail with you Akka..... my dd's B'day is 7th!!  πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks Sue Akka for your wonderful recipes... never tried this honey chicken wing before... will give it a try soon...

Thanks Indrea for your Tomato soup recipe.

And thanks eljay for a simple & easy, yummy desert recipe... I love mango and I love deserts...and yours is a combo and I'm sure it's yummy!! ( I used to make Mango Ice-cream, similar to this using Mango pulp, but with Evaporated Milk & Cool whip...) It has been a long time since I have made that. Since yours is with different ingredients and both my dd & I like the taste of sour cream (yum!), definitely wanted to try it.

I assume the Mango pulp you had mentioned is the regular size tin that is available at Indian stores!
Could you please give those carton sizes (in ounces) for yogurt and sour cream please?!
Edited by supree - 15 years ago
Thank you everyone for the wonderful recipiesπŸ˜ƒ

Let us keep this thread active by posting new items whenever we canπŸ˜›
Originally posted by supree

Thanks Sue Akka for your wonderful recipes... never tried this honey chicken wing before... will give it a try soon...
Thanks Indrea for your Tomato soup recipe.
And thanks eljay for a simple &easy, yummydesert recipe... I love mango and I love deserts...and yours is a combo and I'm sure it's yummy!! ( I used to make Mango Ice-cream, similar to this using Mango pulp, but with Evaporated Milk &Cool whip...)It has been a long time since Ihave made that. Since yours is withdifferent ingredients and both my dd &I like the taste of sour cream (yum!),definitelywanted to try it.
I assume the Mango pulp you had mentioned is the regular size tin that is available at Indian stores!
Could you please give those carton sizes (in ounces) for yogurt and sour cream please?!

Supree, I bought a 32 oz. carton of yogurt and a 24 oz. carton of sour cream. I used the regular sized can of mango pulp that we get in our Indian stores here. I thought I could have used less sour cream, since there was a little tartness in the shrikhand, and we are not too keen on pulippu in this house. Anyway, that can be adjusted to taste. Actually, I use the same ingredients for mango lassi but it is just a whole lot thinner and I add some honey for sweetening and a few crushed mint leaves for added flavor.

Enjoy the shrikhand.

Incidentally, I have made the 7 cup cake in the past using maida also, and it comes out equally well, in fact, it looks white, so what I did once was to make two batches, one with maida and one with besan, and arranged them alternately on a plate for effect! The only difference in the procedure was that I warmed the maida first, then covered it and let it cool for some time and then proceeded to make the barfi.

Originally posted by kadhambari

Chechi thanx a lot..................idhukku veggie oyster sauce ellam thevai illaiπŸ˜†πŸ˜†,so i will try this soon & let u know my comments.i cant serve it with chicken curry.....i think mixed veggie curry will also compliment well 2 this.thanx once again chechi 4 such a simple recipe.

Chicken curry aa?Kadham... I thought you were a vegetarian!!!πŸ€ͺVeg-Non veg oyster sauce is easily available in Singapore...innum-ma nengga adhu vangaley???😲 I posted those recipes many moons ago...πŸ˜‰.
Edited by Sue Nair - 15 years ago
Originally posted by eljay

Yesterday, I made a very easy version of Mango Shrikhand, which I thought I would share with all of you. 'Since my cooking is restricted to simple food, which does not involve much standing and preparation, this was all I could come up with for my friend's potluck lunch. '(I don't know if anyone has already posted this earlier, if so, please let me know.)

Mango Shrikhand:

1 can mango pulp

1 carton yogurt, plain lowfat

1 carton sour cream, nonfat

Elakkai powder

Saffron strands - a few

Directions:

1. Hang the yogurt in a cheesecloth and allow to strain for about two hours. '

2. Whisk the mango pulp and the sour cream thoroughly into the hung yogurt, till the mixture is smooth and creamy.

3. Add a pinch of elakkai powder and warmed saffron (I warmed it in the microwave for about 10 seconds)to the mixture and blend well.

4. Chill thoroughly and decorate with chopped nuts before serving.

Thanks Eljay...ripe mangoes are my favourite plus with yogurt....wow!...super 'O' super ..!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ I have already imagined tasting it...so now its only left for me to try it out..!πŸ˜ƒ All the ingredients are easily available... so its not a problem πŸ˜›
Originally posted by eljay

Supree, I bought a 32 oz. carton of yogurt and a 24 oz. carton of sour cream. ?I used the regular sized can of mango pulp that we get in our Indian stores here. ?I thought I could have used less sour cream, since there was a little tartness in the shrikhand, and we are not too keen on pulippu in this house. ?Anyway, that can be adjusted to taste. ?Actually, I use the same ingredients for mango lassi but it is just a whole lot thinner and I add some honey for sweetening and a few crushed mint leaves for added flavor. ?

Enjoy the shrikhand. ?

Incidentally, I have made the 7 cup cake in the past using maida also, and it comes out equally well, in fact, it looks white, so what I did once was to make two batches, one with maida and one with besan, and arranged them alternately on a plate for effect! ?The only difference in the procedure was that I warmed the maida first, then covered it and let it cool for some time and then proceeded to make the barfi. ?

Is sour cream a must in this recipe?...enna I do not like much pulippu....😳
SIMPLE RAISIN BISCUITS

Ingredients
140g self-raising flour
45g butter cut into small pieces
45g castor sugar
1tbsp grated orange rind
160g seedless raisins
5 tbsps Evaporated milk

Method
1. Sift flour and place in a bowl.
2. Cut butter into flour and mix until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in sugar, orange rind and raisins. Add milk and mix well.
4. Form into small balls, press slightly and place on baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 80 delicious biscuits.