College & University

Foreign Language Courses

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Do you guys take any foreign language courses.  In the US it's especially a recommended to take at least one foreign language course no matter what you're majoring in.  So do you likes take any foreign language courses? Which ones do you take?  I took Spanish and French.  Both weren't so hard but the accents drove me crazy.  I heard Chinese is wicked hard.  Anyone took Chinese or Japanese?

-Mahi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hola!!

Hehe I took 5.5 years of Spanish. Luckily most of that was in middle school and high school - only took a semester of Spanish in college:)
-Mystery- thumbnail
^^^ Oh wow!! That's great so you must know a lot of Spanish! Do you still speak it and how's your accent?

I took the AP test in my senior year and so I got credit for it in college so don't have to take it.

-Mahi

I don't speak much Spanish anymore. I didn't take the AP test, but I took the placement exam at my university and placed out of the general ed. foreign language requirement. I took the next level anyway because my friend's a Spanish major and she forced me 😔...hehe
-Mystery- thumbnail
Oh I see, yeah Spanish didn't click for me that much either.  Although I can still speak it and understand it a little bit, I am not a huge fan of it.

-Mahi

-Mystery- thumbnail
Originally posted by: pracheen

I took Arabic

Wow, how was it? Tough?  I know Arabic, but not to a great extent.

-Mahi

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I am taking Spanish...i took it for one whole year and just started my second year =]

i can get the accent right but i dont have a good memory for spanish words 😆 i  usually have a low grade than usual in my spanish class...but i am trying to study more. To go to college i only need 2 years of a foreign language so im gonna be done with spanish after this year is over!

-Jessie
-Mystery- thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angad luver#1

I am taking Spanish...i took it for one whole year and just started my second year =]

i can get the accent right but i dont have a good memory for spanish words 😆 i  usually have a low grade than usual in my spanish class...but i am trying to study more. To go to college i only need 2 years of a foreign language so im gonna be done with spanish after this year is over!

-Jessie

Yeah vocabulary can be certainly a big problem especially if you know both French and Spanish and you tend to confuse them all the time.  When I learned Spanish in highschool we were taught using a "TPRS" method.  I actually forgot the full form of that but usually we had like 7 words of new vocabulary every day.  So what my teacher would do is that she'll give us clues about what those words mean using the words we already knew in Spanish and so we would come up with the definitions.  Then the class collectively would use those words to come up with a story... like one person said a line and then someone else added on and then different people would volunteer to say the entire story a couple times.

I thought this was a lot better way of learning new vocabulary instead of just sitting down and memorizing words.  I remember a lot more words in the context of the story we came up with and it's just a lot easier that way.

-Mahi

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
LoL...i also have a bad teacher...he just gives us work  and makes us do oral presentations =[

hes also not a big help on explaining anything...
LeadNitrate thumbnail
i hrd spanish is way easy, atleast my spanish frnds who r struggling with german now tell so, and i found i picked up spanish words faste thn i did when i first started learning german
 german learners here?