Foreign Language Courses - Page 2

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by its me tan

i hrd spanish is way easy, atleast my spanish frnds who r struggling with german now tell so, and i found i picked up spanish words faste thn i did when i first started learning german
 german learners here?

I think it's mostly because Spanish and English have a lot of cognates so some of the meanings are easily remembered. Examples are urgent and urgente, use and usar, effect and efecto. At the same time it can get confusing because some words are false cognates. Embarasado is not embarrassed. It actually means pregnant.😆
Originally posted by inavars

I think it's mostly because Spanish and English have a lot of cognates so some of the meanings are easily remembered. Examples are urgent and urgente, use and usar, effect and efecto. At the same time it can get confusing because some words are false cognates. Embarasado is not embarrassed. It actually means pregnant.😆

Yeah some people who have taken other languange courses do think that Spanish is a bit easier.  I mean if you take Chinese or something Spanish will be a lot easier when you know English. 

I definitely agree about the false cognates like Libreria is not library but a Book store, Library is Biblioteca... I used to make this mistake so many times 😳

-Mahi

Originally posted by -Mystery-

Yeah some people who have taken other languange courses do think that Spanish is a bit easier.  I mean if you take Chinese or something Spanish will be a lot easier when you know English. 

I definitely agree about the false cognates like Libreria is not library but a Book store, Library is Biblioteca... I used to make this mistake so many times 😳

-Mahi

well spanish has a lot of common with greek and german too
 i cannot say all, coz my get confused too when my frdns spek in their mother tongues
 but, in german also library is BIBLIOTHEK

im taking spanish as well! - its kinda easy..but kinda hard!
sum words remind me of hindi too 😕😆
but ya..im still deciding if i shud take 3 or 4 yrs of spanish..
imm only taking the 3rd yr cuz its an honor credit
and i myt take all 4 yrs..cuz my sis said the teacher is super easy! && its an easy A
...but the teacher encourages the students not too take the AP test..cuz she sux at teaching 😆
so im still debating 😕
hey mahi di.
i never took spanish cuz im in canada. right now im taking french though.
Originally posted by miss5stars

im taking spanish as well! - its kinda easy..but kinda hard!
sum words remind me of hindi too 😕😆
but ya..im still deciding if i shud take 3 or 4 yrs of spanish..
imm only taking the 3rd yr cuz its an honor credit
and i myt take all 4 yrs..cuz my sis said the teacher is super easy! && its an easy A
...but the teacher encourages the students not too take the AP test..cuz she sux at teaching 😆
so im still debating 😕

If you don't mind me suggesting, I'd say go ahead and take the fourth year too. Even if you don't take the AP, a lot of universities have foreign language requirements. Taking four years of Spanish in high school will better prepare you for the placement exam in uni. And if you pass that, you'll be waived from taking any foreign language courses in college. You can focus on other requirements then.😉 It's better to get foreign language done in high school because language classes tend to be more difficult at university level.
I took French for four years and Hindi for six years.
I think if i'll take spanish it might be alot easy for me because it really ressembles to french and i have went in french schools my whole life..so maybe i'll take spanish or probably german XD 
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Do you guys take any foreign language courses.  In the US it's especially a recommended to take at least one foreign language course no matter what you're majoring in.  So do you likes take any foreign language courses? Which ones do you take?  I took Spanish and French.  Both weren't so hard but the accents drove me crazy.  I heard Chinese is wicked hard.  Anyone took Chinese or Japanese?

-Mahi

I'm taking Spanish Honors 4 this year and I'm honestly confused if I should take AP Spanish next year...
If you don't mind me asking, was the AP Spanish Exam too difficult?