Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a book by Jonathan Safran Foer that tells a story of an extraordinary 9 year old and his life after his dad dies in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.  

It's great to read the book through a 9 year old's perspective who is just the smartest 9 year old I could ever imagine.  It's sometimes heartbreaking to read how he can't forget his father and how his relationship with his mother gets worse and worse.  He was closest to his dad and thus it hurts him the most when he's gone and he can't think of moving on because that would be betraying his Dad's memories.

It's a great story to see how he begins to see other people's point of views and begins to understand their feelings.  It's not necessarily a coming of age novel but it's awesome to read if you can spare a few hours.

Foer's writing style is also nothing like the conventional way of writing.  The perspectives change, you get a lot of pictures to support the writing and so on.

With some great themes, heart touching story, and wonderful writing style, I recommend Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to everyone!

-Mahi

Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sareeta thumbnail
Thanks there, for letting us know! You know its the good thing about this section , that there so many people who come out and let us know about books they have read and feel should be read by others... its what makes it all the more my fav section of the whole forum!

Thanks again, will sure , try to get my hands on this book as soon as I can.
-Mystery- thumbnail
^^ Yep I definitely agree with you there... I mean people all over the world have different tastes in books and all and so if someone reads something and suggests it then it becomes all the more easy to go and get it and read it.

You're most welcome.  Let me know what you think about it when you read it.

-Mahi

chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
i'll try and get it from my local bookstore.... sounds interesting
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I'll look  for it next time I go to the bookstore!
-Mystery- thumbnail
^^^ Definitely, it's a very interesting book and the fact that the writing style is totally different from the conventional writing style makes it even more worthwhile reading!

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
Mahi - Thanks for suggesting this book! I finsihed reading it over the weekend and I just have to say one thing - What a read that was!

One who has read the book cannot put down the book, without accepting the impact it has on the reader!

And the writing style - I paid particular attention to it, after you mentioned it and I concur there! It definetely adds to that fact of making it an absolute worthwhile read!

So happy to have it in my collection!
-Mystery- thumbnail
You're most welcome, Sareeta! And I am glad you like it!

It was really an impactful book and I couldn't go through some parts without having tears in my eyes... I just felt so much for Oskar...

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
True Mahi - There were times , I couldnt read , coz it was so blurred and only then did I realize, my eyes were moist and yet you know this book, like one other that I had a chnace to read leaves you with this intensely heavy drowing feeling  - kinda blocks all tears and drains out the voice and you just feel so weighed down for this inexplicable sorrow... I guess that is the impact of the book - You cant help but feel what Oskar does and in some uncanny way, the author makes you live Oskar's moments and that is something, coz those moments are what literally jerk into that stark reality that we have not experienced until then and Oskar has!

OKay, I seem to be rambling now - but the book is fantastic and I am going to re-read again , this week!
-Mystery- thumbnail
Originally posted by: sareeta

True Mahi - There were times , I couldnt read , coz it was so blurred and only then did I realize, my eyes were moist and yet you know this book, like one other that I had a chnace to read leaves you with this intensely heavy drowing feeling  - kinda blocks all tears and drains out the voice and you just feel so weighed down for this inexplicable sorrow... I guess that is the impact of the book - You cant help but feel what Oskar does and in some uncanny way, the author makes you live Oskar's moments and that is something, coz those moments are what literally jerk into that stark reality that we have not experienced until then and Oskar has!

OKay, I seem to be rambling now - but the book is fantastic and I am going to re-read again , this week!

No you don't seem to be rambling, Sareeta! In fact very nicely put!! 👏👏 Amazing words!  Totally agree with you, although I was immersed in sorrow but towards the end I wasn't feeling so painful as I was feeling in the beginning.  In fact, I was feeling a bit joyous because Oskar seems to grow up a lot towards the end... He learns from the lives of the people he meets and he begins to value his relationships a lot more!

Okay, now I should stop before I ruin the story for the people who haven't read it yet and would like to.... Sorry.... 😳😳

-Mahi