~*~ Balika Vadhu Character Sketch ~*~

Posted: 15 years ago

Heyoo Everyone!

As the banner contest is up; here is a quick sketch of all the characters of the show [ Provided by the wonderful jinc118🤗]

Anandi aka Chuhiya aka Lado 'played by Avika Gor
       Anandi is the female protagonist of the show. She is a bubbly 9 year old who is the only daughter of her parents and is thus pampered. She loves going to school but her studies are cut short when her parents decide to get her married to a respectable family at the tender age as is the tradition in their village. She is distraught at first to leave her parents and her friends and village and to go to a new setting where she faces some hostility but slowly she learns to adjust to the new surroundings and accept her new family with support from her loving in-laws and the new friendship with her "husband" Jagdish.

Jagdish aka nakta Bandar aka ladesar ' played by Avinash Mukherjee
     Jags is a 12 years old who'd much rather play cricket with friends than do homework. He is the favorite grandchild of his Dadisa also because he is the only male child in the family. One day he is pulled out of a match to be informed that he is getting married. He initially doesn't like his "wife" Anandi as she has too much attitude according to him and gets a lot of attention from his parents. But slowly he sees a different side of the coin when she starts helping him with his homework. He even stands up for Anandi and defends her in front of his Dadisa who is no less than a tyrant. Soon they become friends though they constantly have sweet banters.

Dadisa (Maasa) ' played by Surekha Sikri
      She is Jagdish's Dadi (grandmother) and is the elder of the family. She rules the household with an iron hand. No one dares to go against her wishes in the family. She mostly comes across as a heartless woman who is very selfish when it comes to her sons especially the elder one. But somewhere deep inside the rigid, cold, cruel exterior lies a heart that may be melted if tried hard enough (so far achieved only by Anandi). She is bound to traditions and often overlooks the human aspect of any situation in order to uphold the pride of her family. She represents everything that is of yester-years in this show. It is the mind-set of people like Dadisa that this show is trying to change.

Bhairav ' played by Anup Soni
      Is Jagdish's father and Daadisa's second son. He is a sensible man who judges right from wrong correctly but often feels helpless in front of his mother's stubbornness. He is caught between his desire respect his mother's wishes and doing what is right in any given situation. He is kind by nature and understanding. He supports his wife and loves his daughter-in-law Anandi as his own child. Though he got his children married at a young age, he along with his wife, have decided not to let them live a married life until they understand the implications of being married and are ready to accept the responsibilities that come along with it. He often is taunted by his mother for being too "soft" for his support of his wife's ideals.

Sumitra ' played by Sumita Bansal
     Is a Jagdish and Sugna's mother and Bhairav's wife. She is a passive character with a lot of patience and tolerance. She is a dutiful daughter-in-law a good wife and loving mother and wonderful mother-in-law. She gives her healing touch when and where needed. She might as well be the strength that holds the family together. She understands her husband's dilemma but also guides him in doing what is morally right. She is very determined to not let her daughter and daughter-in-law endure the injustices of child-marriage and tries her best to give them the same opportunities that her son enjoys. But its often difficult and close to impossible when an obstacle the size of Dadisa is in the way. But she bares it with patience and never gives up hope. She is most effected by Anandi's and now Gehna's plight.

Sugna played by Vibha Anand
      Is Jagdish's 14 yr old sister. She is married but lives with her parents. However she is a typical teenager and meets with her "husband" secretly when she can. She is very annoyed by her parents who refuse to send her to her husband's house and often complains about the same to her mother. But she is a very supportive sister to Jagdish and a friend to Anandi. She often speaks against the injustice dealt by Dadisa but is quieted by her mother.
Later now she is shown as an 18yrs widow who is expecting Prataps child...A new guy named Shyam who falls in love with her on the first sight inspite of knowing the entire truth of her pregnancy, He insists on marrying her. 
Sugna is remarried with him but the thing is she is still not able to forget her past and accept Shyam as her husband.

Pratap played by Jehangir Vakil

Sugnas beloved husband. He loves sugna alot and is shown very desperately waiting for the gauna so that he could be with his wifey! however say it as misfortune or anything on the very day of gauna he would be shot by the goons and the character would end up there.

Basant 'played by Satyajit Sharma

Is Jagdish's uncle, Dadisa's first son, Bhairav's brother. He is an alcoholic. His sole purpose in life is to have an heir born to him. He treats women as instruments for childbearing and nothing more. His first wife had several miscarriages due to being pregnant at a young age and she died during child ' birth due to lack of proper care. He got married again to a girl old enough to be his daughter and now continues his attempts in having an heir. He often accuses his younger brother of being jealous and not wanting his happiness. He is basically a jerk with little if any goodness in him.

Gehna ' played by Neha Marda
      Is a (estimated) 15 year old who comes from a poor family. She was literally bought by Daadisa to be wedded to Basant, a man more than twice her age. She was forced into this marriage and she is tortured every night by her husband because he wants an heir asap. She finds whatever solace she can in Anandi, Sugna and Sumitra. So far she is tolerating the atrocities quietly but soon she will break the dam of patience and rebel against the injustice.

Khajaan Singh ' played by Chaitanya Adib
      He is Anandi's father. He is also a man typical of his surroundings'he adheres to the norms of the society in which lives. Otherwise he is a loving father and husband.

Bhagwati' played by Bhairavi Raichura
      She is Anandi's mother and Khajaan's wife. She is extremely attached to her daughter and wants the best for her but is also inflicted by the ignorance of evils of child-marriage. She insisted on getting Anandi married after witnessing some of the situations of other girls in their village. But ever since Anandi has left her home, Bhagwati is longing to see her daughter. She wishes only that Anandi be happy in her in-law's place.

Badi Masi ji Played by Farida Jalal
She is Kalyani's elder sister. She stays in a city and so her thinking is very different from that of Kalyani. She is practical about things and will try to pass on some advice to her sister. She has come to bring in relief and happiness to the tense environment. Kalyani will also listen to her because she is elder to her, she will bring a change in her frigidness too

Niranjan played by Rahuol Lohani

he is an Music teacher. He is a very silent guy and is totally positive. He comes down to teach Gehna

Shyam played by Vikrant Massey

Shyam is a curious young man who comes to visit the Sikris from the city. Although from the same village and community, his stay in the city makes him oblivious to the traditions practised in the village.

Cool, confident and a big prankster, Shyam begins his stay at the Sikri household on the wrong foot as he plays a prank on Sugna during his introduction to her. Gradually, once he acknowledges his true feelings for her, Shyam's only purpose in life is to see Sugna happy.

Edited by ApoorvaFan - 10 years ago
This wil be very useful....thankoos!!!🤗

But Di , in the Abhishek episode , Jaggu said he was 13 and Anandi said that she was 12....its a minor detail and doesnt matter much [in fact doesnt matter at ALL] but just thought I 'd write this..

Cheerio!
thankssssssssssssss a lot nidds....🤗...........dear.................👍🏼..i realy want that pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,👏
Originally posted by Shubh_Aastha

This wil be very useful....thankoos!!!🤗

But Di , in the Abhishek episode , Jaggu said he was 13 and Anandi said that she was 12....its a minor detail and doesnt matter much [in fact doesnt matter at ALL] but just thought I 'd write this..

Cheerio!

See this is what I'm confused about....earlier on it was mentioned that Anandi was nine and Jagdish twelve.😕

Anyhoo; I'll do some research in to it and after the banner contest; I'll edit this further.😊
Originally posted by nibbles

See this is what I'm confused about....earlier on it was mentioned that Anandi was nine and Jagdish twelve.😕

Anyhoo; I'll do some research in to it and after the banner contest; I'll edit this further.😊

I was confused about the same. But then i think they changed Anandi's age to be 12 because they keep mentioning that Gehna is almost close to Anandi and Sugna's age. Which would mean if Gehna is 15...Anandi can't be compared at 9...she should be at least 12.
thanxx a lot for the wonderful sketch of all the characters
Thanks Nibbles..
Your character sketch really helps a lot in adding cast Balika Vadhu

Can anyone tell me what is the real name of Sugna, Pratap and Basant

Edited by *Jayshree* - 15 years ago
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eS88_dLsk
Originally posted by *Jayshree*

Thanks Nibbles..
Your character sketch really helps a lot in adding cast Balika Vadhu

Can anyone tell me what is the real name of Sugna, Pratap and Basant

Basant's real name is Satyajit Sharma

thanx nibbles u hve made it so clear by tis post, im new here n im tryg 2 figure  the cast, well dne!!