It's Halloween time! :)

TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago

๐Ÿ˜ƒHeyy Friends!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

It's Halloween time!

The bestest time in the whole wide world. It's time for horror movies, costume parties and all the candy you can eat and purge and eat some more. The senses are at their most alive, this time of year.

Halloween is a great day for parties. People dress up as witches, ghosts or vampires, and they go from house to house playing TRICK OR TREAT.
But what's the origin of this custom?

Halloween means Hallows' Evening. It is the evening before All Hallows' Day (now called All Saints Day), a  holiday, celebrated on the 1st of November. But that day was important already in ancient times. On the 1st of November, Celtic peoples celebrated the festival of Samhuinn, which marked the beginning of winter and the Celtic New Year.

It was widely believed that on Hallows' Evening the dead would rise from their graves to roam the earth. Afraid of evil spirits, people therefore either wore ugly masks to frighten those spirits away, or they stayed at home saying prayers. Some would also go from house to house, begging for 'soul cakes', square pieces of bread with currants. In return they promised to pray for dead members of the donors' families.

Going from house to house, begging for sweets โ€“ doesn't that sound familiar? Indeed, that's the origin of TRICK OR TREAT. Be aware, however, as the custom has changed! Nobody is going to pray for you nowadays. Instead, if you don't have a TREAT for the children in front of your door (some sweets for example), they will most likely play a TRICK on you โ€“ that's what TRICK OR TREAT is all about.

The Jack-o'-lantern

https://lennthompson.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pumpkin.jpg

The carved pumpkin, lit by a candle inside, is one of Halloween's most prominent symbols in America, and is commonly called a jack-o'-lantern. Originating in Europe, these lanterns were first carved from a turnip or rutabaga. Believing that the head was the most powerful part of the body containing the spirit and the knowledge, the Celts used the "head" of the vegetable to frighten off any superstitions.
The name jack-o'-lantern can be traced back to the Irish legend of Stingy Jack, a greedy, gambling, hard-drinking old farmer. He tricked the devil into climbing a tree and trapped him by carving a cross into the tree trunk. In reveng, the devil placed a curse on Jack, condemning him to forever wander the earth at night with the only light he had: a candle inside of a hollowed turnip.

^^for more info....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Wishing you all a Happy Halloween!

If possible do share with us::

• If you celebrate halloween..? If yes, how..?
  • Anything special to say about this day..?

Regards,
Paranormal Dev Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shijhu thumbnail

even in india these days youngsters do celebrate dis halloween tho i never did but yeah virtually we had fun last yr on IF

yeah i want to say ki saare log halloween celebrate karo n come to paranormal to see bhoots like us

Nikasha. thumbnail

Haha Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! I remember dressing up when i was little๐Ÿ˜ƒ This year I just watched a freaky movie ๐Ÿ˜†. And of course I gave out candy to Trick or Treaters, and ate some...๐Ÿ˜† Halloween is a time for fun and getting candy with friends,watching movies, and EATING Candy!!๐Ÿ˜ˆ

shijhu thumbnail

Originally posted by: stylindude

Haha Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! I remember dressing up when i was little๐Ÿ˜ƒ This year I just watched a freaky movie ๐Ÿ˜†. And of course I gave out candy to Trick or Treaters, and ate some...๐Ÿ˜† Halloween is a time for fun and getting candy with friends,watching movies, and EATING Candy!!๐Ÿ˜ˆ

hey nikasha so many candies hun ๐Ÿ˜†gud gud keep it up btw great sigs
Nikasha. thumbnail
Thanx Jhumi di... What did you do this Halloween?๐Ÿ˜†
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

wow Nikasha..candy..? sounds awesome!

and when you were a kid you loved to dress up..?
tell nah..you looked like whom then..??? Dracula..?? hahahaha or just some evil witch...? tell tell...

well in suriname we don't celebrate Halloween...sometimes there is a special halloween costume party in some disco...but i don't go to discos so i never attended any party...
shijhu thumbnail
same here no halloween celebration but aajkal metros me youngsters have some coutume party or theme parties in discos which obviously person like me never attends or is not allowed to sab witch ka broom leke bhagaofy me hehehe
Nikasha. thumbnail
[QUOTE=Gracella]

wow Nikasha..candy..? sounds awesome!

and when you were a kid you loved to dress up..?
tell nah..you looked like whom then..??? Dracula..?? hahahaha or just some evil witch...? tell tell...

well in suriname we don't celebrate Halloween...sometimes there is a special halloween costume party in some disco...but i don't go to discos so i never attended any party...

Oh here in the US its a big thing... I was once a vampire๐Ÿ˜† Lets see..... Hmmm... I was a ghost, vampire, puppy๐Ÿ˜†, Naagin๐Ÿ˜†, Pirate, etc...
Nikasha. thumbnail
hehehe Jhumi di... Aww no Halloween in India๐Ÿ˜†