Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
"It's a tough competition amongst female debutants this time" - Prachi Desai

All of a sudden, Prachi Desai is a star, 'kasamh se'! Not that she wasn't. She was considered one while on the small screen, but the big screen is a different ball game altogether. And not just a star - she's spoken of in informed circles as the newest version of India's Sweetheart, like Karisma Kapoor decades before. The film that made her one was Abhishek Kapoor's Rock On, where her sweet rasp and expressive features saw her as a perfect romantic foil for Farhan Akhtar's panicked banker role and a morally tested rockstar. We spoke with the petite actress on a Sunday morning, almost brunch time though, to talk about her on going rocking life. She cheerfully replied, "It's a different feeling now and definitely a change for the better. Rock On will always be special for me. But I have to move on and can't stick to the films success always". Listening to Prachi's comment, we move on to Life Partner, her second offering which also happens to be Abbas Mustan's first production directed by Rumi Jaffery. Miss Desai takes me back on how the film landed up at her doorstep. "When I was shooting for Rock On, I got a call from Rumi Jaffery, who wanted to meet me regarding a film he was making. Because it was my first meeting with him, he did not narrate the entire script to me. Rumi had one thing very clear that he wanted me to be a part of Life Partner. But I got the film because it was a romantic comedy and I'm sure he must've seen me on the small screen before signing me", said Prachi.

She also isn't in a hasty mood to sign anything. "I have been warned right from the beginning that I cannot afford to be making wrong and hasty decisions just because I'm new", comments the actress. So is moving on from the small screen to the big screen a hasty or a wrong decision? Answers Prachi, "I think that was a smart move because the daily soap I was doing was about to take a twenty year leap which I wasn't ready for. I didn't want to play a mother of a twenty one year old."

Friendship is where the story of Life Partner picks up from. The said film, as described by Prachi Desai, is about relationships before marriage and how tough it gets after tying the knot. But how tough was it for the actress to be working with a director who made a flop like God Tussi Great Ho was something which she had to answer. "That's very true. I began shooting for Life Partner immediately after Rock On. After I finished my first schedule of filming for Life Partner, I saw the promos of God Tussi...and then came to know that the film did not perform well at the box office. More sad to know is the fact that the film got released after three to four years in the making. But that was past and its over. After Life Partner releases, I will surely say - 'God Tussi Great Ho'", replied Prachi.

The actress reveals that she has signed yet another film after Life Partner, but does not want to mention the name of the film nor the director. All she comes out open with is, "The only thing I can tell you is that I will start shooting for my third film from March' 09 onwards. It's a big production house film. Give me a month's time and I will be out in the open with the name of the film". To be working with Abbas Mustan is nothing short of an achievement. You have to be lucky and lucky she is. "The first thing I noticed about Life Partner was that Abbas Mustan were producing it. I would love to work with them under their direction too, as I've grown up watching their films like Baazigar, Ajnabee and Soldier", said the chirpy actress. With so much said and done, I quizzed Prachi on whether she is looking forward to win many awards for her stunning debut performance come Jan and Feb '09. And to my surprise, in a relaxed tone, she said, "I've already won a debut award in Kolkata where Rock On also won the Best Film. I've also won an award just a couple of day back as a 'Sabse Favourite Heroine' which was showcased on Star Gold. Now I am looking forward for more. I am really happy that I've received these two awards."

Ga-ga over awards, she also cannot stop showering praise on her competitive colleagues. "I'd heard so much about Mugdha's performance in Fashion that I had to watch the film. I saw it and can now believe what everyone was talking about. Mugdha's role wasn't the typical, sweet heroine types. She was amazing in Fashion. I haven't seen Adah Sharma's 1920 but have seen Sonal Chauhan in Jannat. She was good too. But the one who is likely to win is Anushka Sharma from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. She was brilliant. It's a tough competition this time."

With New Year just a couple of days away, Prachi tells us on how she wishes to celebrate the end of 2008 and look forward to a bright and successful 2009. "I won't be in town. All my television friends will be going out of Mumbai to celebrate our New Year. It won't be as great as my last two because 26/11 has changed all of that. I am not in a mood to celebrate and will keep it low profile", said Prachi. Well, there was just about time to ask Prachi Desai couple of last questions - one on a bad habit she would like to leave behind in 2008. She said, "I am fed up with my lazy life right now. While doing television, we used to work for 24/7. With films it's an easy and a lazy life but a bigger and a better life too". And what about that special someone in her life? Will 2009 bring the real 'Life Partner' for this cutie pie? "I am desperately looking for young, chocolate boy; one to suit my type kind of a guy. I don't mind attending college to find my 'Life Partner'."

Edited by Lubnavaishali - 15 years ago
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
EVEn i feel anuskha sharma n Asin are tough competitors for prachi..thanks for the article Edited by sweetytweetypoo - 15 years ago
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

here's a pic of prachi
rose12 thumbnail

2008 was a year when quite a few newcomers made a mark in their very first film. Actors like Anushka, Asin, Adah and Prachi Desai made a thumping impression while Genelia D'Souza saw a revival in her career with Jaane Tu Jaane Naa. Katrina Kaif got her hits but there wasn't a single performance that could make the cut into the Top-10 of the year while big guns like Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Bachchan, Bipasha Basu and Kajol continued to reign. Joginder Tuteja looks at some of the best performances by a female actor in the year gone by.

10 - Prachi Desai (Rock On)

Her foray into the big screen was much welcomed with Rock On. An unconventional way to begin her Bollywood innings, what with playing the part of a married woman and no romantic angle per se, Prachi Desai was courageous enough to take a plunge into a film that had a director (Abhishek Kapoor) with a flop tag (Aryan - The Unbrekable) to his name. Still, with people like Farhan Akhtar, Ritesh Sidhwani, Shanka, Ehsaan and Loy attached to the project, she got herself a start with Rock On. The ploy worked and how! With a restrained performance, she was the person who got a certain 'thehrav' to the rocking proceedings of Rock On. The million dollar question is - 'Will she be able to be a part of the glam brigade from here on?'

9 - Ehsaas Channa (Phoonk)

The youngest of the lot, Ehsaas impressed one and all with her performance of a girl who was possessed due to black magic at work. Coming up with one of the most intense performances of the year, Ehsaas was a revelation as a girl actor after working in quite a few films where she was required to portray a boy. One wonders how she would have worked upon her psyche after being a part of cinema where her character was required to go through tumultuous times. Director Ram Gopal Varma yet again succeeded in extracting a brilliant performance out of an actor and one now looks forward to how this girl would announce her arrival as a lead actress a decade from now.

8 - Adah Sharma (1920)

It was the year when possessed females made an impression on the big screen. If Ehsaas was psyched, Adah Sharma was indeed scary, what with her character being almost a cannibal in appeal. Made to play a part which could turn violent, riotus, frightened and ferocious at regular intervals, Adah surprised in this horror flick by Vikram Bhatt. Not just she helped the director break the jinx of a dozen odd flops that he had delivered before 1920, she also announced an arrival, albeit a low key, to Bollywood. Though she was mostly non-glam in 1920 and was made to wear the costumes that were in vogue a century ago, one looks forward to see her look entirely different in the upcoming films of hers that are set in contemporary times.

7 - Asin (Ghajini)

She has worked in more than a dozen odd films down South but had to wait a while before the best opportunity came her way in the form of Ghajini. Though she had to recreate the emotions of the original 'Ghajini' in which she had already starred, she did it with full gusto in the reprised version as well. Going through a gamut of emotions that required her to be naughty as well as emotional at heart, she didn't disappoint. Her most remembered scenes would the light hearted ones that she shared with Aamir and her death scene. However, one waits to see many more histrionics from her in her upcoming films. A little more touch of glamour would only help the cause.

6 - Bipasha Basu (Race, Bachna Ae Haseeno)

While newcomers like Prachi, Adah and Asin were busy knocking the doors of Bollywood, Bipasha Basu continued her femme fatale act in films like Race and Bachna Ae Haseeno She proved that girls would be girls and women would be women! No wonder, she approached her part in 'Race' with such style and sensibilities that one didn't mind her playing the gray character at all. Some more sizzling dance numbers later, she was the darling of Race. As for Bachna Ae Haseeno, she was indeed such a 'bit%^' (as she proclaimed in the film too) that one wouldn't mind being her slave at all, as did Ranbir Kapoor in the film.

5 - Kajol (U Me Aur Hum)

It's a pity that 'U Me Aur Hum' didn't go the distance that it deserved. Though the film did reasonably well at the box office, one would have expected much more buzz around Kajol's act in the film. As a troubled woman suffering from Alzheimer disease, she was near perfect in the film which was directed by her husband Ajay Devgan. The usual spunk was missing from her performance, as per the demand of her character since she was required to be all tense and pensive for most of the film's duration. As for her future films too, expect some more serious/meaningful/hard hitting characters to be played by her, something that she seems to be opting for considering her status of being a 'veteran' actor already.

4 - Anushka Sharma (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)

It is not every day that one sees a debutant leading lady being offered an author backed role in a commercial Yash Raj film outing where she is seen in almost every frame of the film. This way Anushka Sharma was really lucky since she didn't just get an opportunity to be a part of a film which told a new story and allowed her to display her acting talent; it also made her stand next to Shah Rukh Khan in almost every scene. Anushka grabbed the opportunity provided to her with both hands and went all out in coming up with a sparkling act. Add to that her modeling background and some good dancing skills and we could be looking at yet another star material in the offering.

3 - Genelia D'Souza (Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa)

The 'home coming' award for the year 2008 should go to Genelia D'Souza who came back from hibernation (as far as Bollywood is concerned since she was busy with her work down South) and came up with a flawless performance in Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa. Even though the film took close to 2 years in the making, spark in Genelia's performance could be witnessed in each of her scenes. Simply brilliant and the heart of Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa, she impressed on all quarters, whether it was her delivering her dialogues, being natural in front of the camera or looking just like the character she was required to portray. A powerhouse of talent, she should be much more visible in Bollywood from here on.

2 - Aishwarya Bachchan (Jodhaa Akbar, Sarkar Raj)

While it is hardly a breaking news that Aishwarya Rai looks beautiful in every outing of hers, what is turning out to be a pleasant surprise are some consistently good performances from her year after year. In 2007 it was Guru and this year, the films where she came up with some good performances are Sarkar Raj and Jodhaa Akbar. Though her Jodhaa Akbar turned out to be a good money spinner and got her quite some accolades, it is Sarkar Raj where she impressed even more in the role of a businesswoman. Watch out for her scenes with Amitabh Bachchan and you know that she is confident enough to be standing in front of the best of the talents and still make her presence felt. Credit must go to Ram Gopal Varma who went beyond her beauty, made her wear business suits for most of her scenes and still made her performance noticeable.

1 - Priyanka Chopra (Fashion, Dostana)

And this would well be the comeback of the year! With as many as six flops behind her - Salaam E Ishq, Big Brother, Love Story 2050, Chamku, Drona, God Tussi Great Ho - any other actress would have just given up. But not Priyanka Chopra who just looked at Fashion and Dostana as the opportunities that could bring her back into the reckoning. While most of her flops were long in the making, she concentrated completely on these two films which promised to present in a different light altogether. While Madhur Bhandarkar gave her a author backed role in Fashion' Karan Johar ensured that she turned out to be the scorcher of the year with Dostana. She impressed on both counts, whether it was acting (Fashion) or looking beautiful (Dostana) and announced loud and clear - 'I Am Back'.

ar78655 thumbnail
Prachi goes back to Ekta

Prachi Desai will be playing the lead in Balaji Telefilms' next movie Once Upon A Time In Mumbai. The film is said to be based on Haji Mustan's life. Prachi, who has recently signed up for the movie, tells us more.

SHE says, "It took me a lot of time to agree to this movie. There were some uncertainties; they come with every movie and that's why I would not like to talk about it much- at least till it has all been announced officially. Shooting has not started as yet but it is always lovely to work with Balaji."

Though the actress cannot divulge many details, she does manage to let a few things slip. She says, "Milan Luthra is directing the film. The character that I am playing is really fresh. She is a lead character but as we all know, guys play most prominent roles in films."

Prachi has also finished shooting for her movie Life Partner. She says, "We shot for the last schedule in December last year. Right now, I am dubbing for the film. The tentative date of release was May 1 but since there were issues with the distributors, the producer and the multiplexes, the release will be delayed."

And Life Partner was the reason Prachi was reluctant to sign for Once Upon… initially. She says, "I was waiting for my dates to be confirmed. If Life Partner were to release on its original release date of May 1, it would have clashed with another movie's schedule. I would not be able to promote the film so I was worried about that. Now it seems that Life Partner will not release soon. As for Once Upon…, the schedule and everything has been decided so I said yes to them."

After
Rock On!!, Prachi shot for Life Partner with Tusshar Kapoor, Genelia, Akshay Khanna, Govinda, Fardeen Khan and others. The movie is directed by Rumi Jaffrey. Prachi was also seen in Kasamh Se's last episode and in the opening episode Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 3.

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090324_118
niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Prachi Desai and Emraan Hashmi signed by Balaji

Bubbly Bahu of the small screen, JDJ Season 2 winner, and Rock On!! debutante, Prachi Desai is back in action. Buzz has ...

ar78655 thumbnail
Prachi will not Kiss Emraan Hashmi

Prachi Desai, who is paired with serial kisser Emraan Hashmi in the Haji Mastan biopic Once Upon A Time In Mumbai, says she is against kissing scenes. She said, "I am against kissing scenes, and I will never even consider it. Even if the script demands it, I will not change my mind. Besides, there are so many different camera angles a director can use to keep from showing these scenes."

Thankfully Prachi's role in this film does not require her to lip lock with anyone. "There are no such scenes in the movie as far as I know," says Prachi. "Emraan is a great actor and Milanji is a superb director. And I am happy to be a part of this film."

The film is based on Haji Mastan, the first-ever celebrity don of India. Apart from Prachi Desai and Hashmi (who plays Dawood Ibrahim), the film also stars Kangana Ranaut and Ajay Devgan, who essays the role of Mastan.

About her role in the film, she says, "It's a very serious and dark character. I said agreed to do it because I wanted to do something different. I wanted to play something other than the jolly, chirpy, sensitive, understanding wife in Rock On!"

There are also rumours going round that Milan Luthria was inspired by Sergio Leone's classic western Once Upon A Time In America. Prachi, however, says, "I am really not aware of the film you are talking about. I wasn't even born then. But nowadays it hardly matters whether it's a remake or not. All that matter is the movie. And I like the role, so it doesn't matter whether it's a remake or original."

The film is still in the pre-production stage and Prachi has no idea when shooting will begin. "I haven't been told when it will go on the floors."
Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090401_1
niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Prachi Desai: Kasamh Se made me what I am

Kasamh Se concluded this month on Zee TV and even though Prachi Desai was no longer with the show when it wrapped up, the original Bani still misses her debut show.

PRACHI says, "I am still attached to the show; I was a part of it for more than two and a half years. It made me whatever I am today so I feel bad that it has ended. What happens with these shows is that if you have a strong character which is associated with a face then it is hard for the audience to accept a new face in that role. That's what happened with the character of Jigyasa."
Explaining the show's predicament with examples, Prachi says, "We had one of the most famous vamps, Jaya Bhattacharya, as Ashwini Kalsekar's replacement but it did not work and we had to bring back Ashwini. The same thing happened with Bani too I guess and with Arunima Sharma, who played Rano on the show."

The actress, who stopped shooting for Kasamh Se last April, still tried to keep up to date the serial. She says, "I did watch a few episodes here and there. My grandmother was a big fan of the show so she used to update me with all the details."

Prachi was there on the last day Kasamh Se was shot for. "I went for last shoot when I came to know that a holi sequence was being shot. They were not aware that I was in Mumbai. I went there and told them to think about an interesting way to end the show. That is when they added my two minute scene where I say a few lines about my character," says Prachi.

And even though Prachi is now doing films, she still has times for her old television friends. She says, "I am still in touch with all of them; Arunima, Ashwini, Ram, Dilkhush who replaced Arunima and everyone. I even keep in touch with the new star cast who came on the show after the leap. We call or message each other. The show wrapping up was an emotional moment for all of us and it is very tough to accept."

Kasamh Se wrapped up within a year after Prachi left. It is said that the channel was not getting good enough TRPs in her absence.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090401_5

Sweet_munchkin thumbnail
soz computer freezed so mistakely 3 copys cme