kashish-fan thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

~~ Aloo Chaat Promo ~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PkwSSaNxTQ

sweety_1754 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
hey guys aloo chaat is again postponed..now it'll release on march 13(according to zoom news)
sweety_1754 thumbnail

Cricket fever on Aloo Chaat sets

January 24th, 2009

Like most Indian boys, Aaftab Shivdasani loves cricket and also dreamt of being a cricketer.  He often participated in cricket matches during his school and college days.  But life took a sudden U turn and Aftab was into acting.  But his love for the game has not stopped.

The actor in fact looks forward to playing the game when ever he gets a chance to. Recently on the sets of Aloo Chaat  Aftab got very excited when he learnt that director Robby Grewal also loved the sport. They decided to play the game on the sets whenever they were free. Hence not a single day went by without a game of cricket on the sets of Aloo Chaat.

Infact the schedules were designed keeping the mandatory breaks in mind so that the unit could indulge in their favorite pastime. Its quite a feat that inspite of all the fun and games the film was shot in a total of 30 days.

Says director Grewal "it was fun playing the game and since Aftab and I both loved the game we decided to play on the sets when free. In fact it was a stress buster at times for us from our hectic schedules."

Robby has earlier directed films like Mera Pehla Pehla Pyar and Samay.  He has now turned producer with his next titled Kusar Prasad Ka Bhoot with Paresh Rawal and Randeep Hooda in important roles.

sweety_1754 thumbnail
veenisha thumbnail

Aloo Chaat to spice up Screen on 20th March.

• "ALOO CHAAT is one film which will keep you thoroughly entertained with that constant smile on your face." says Aftab.

Aloo Chaat produced by Mirchi Movies Limited, a subsidiary of Times Infotainment Media Limited (A Times Group Company) and Actor Anuj Saxena's production house Maverick Productions Pvt. Ltd. in association with Red Ice films is scheduled to release on 20th March.

The film stars debonair Aftab Shivdasani and beautiful Aamna Shariff. Robby Grewal, who had directed Mera Pehla Pehla Pyar ('
    MP3') and Samay has directed Aloo Chaat. The film also stars Linda Arsenio, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Manoj Pahwa, Sanjay Mishra, Dolly Ahluwalia and Meenakshi Sethi.

RDB (an acronym for Rhythm, Dhol, and Bass) are a Punjabi DJ production team consisting of three brothers --- Kuly, Manjeet and Surjeet Singh. They are from Bradford in England and play a blend of Bhangra, house UK garage; Hindi, Bollywood, R&B, hip-hop and dance music.

"ALOO CHAAT is one film which will keep you thoroughly entertained with that constant smile on your face.  'The film is made for a family audience. I can assure that no one from the audience will have a single moment of embarrassment or discomfort when the film is on; it is so clean.''   says Aftab Shivdasani.

Aamna Shariff says, "I am playing a Muslim girl who falls in love with a Punjabi boy. The name of my character is also Aamna. My character is that of a simple, straight- forward and a fun loving girl. I totally relate to this character and I am sure every girl can relate to it".

Anuj Saxena, CEO of Maverick Production says, "The film has been shot well on time. The film looks good and it is a realistic comedy which audience can watch with their family. The flavour of the film is so that audiences will connect to it instantly and when you come out of the theatre you will come out feeling light"

Robby Grewal director of the film says, "Aloo Chaat was conceived as a film with the objective of entertaining the audience,   with a liberal dose of fun and laughter, but at the same time leaving a pertinent question regarding discrimination of people on the basis of caste and creed.

It's a film set in Delhi with all the trappings of a middle class Punjabi household. I seriously believe Punjabis are the funniest species on the planet, and I have attempted to capture that very essence of Punjabi humour in my film".

Edited by veenisha - 15 years ago
sippy_a thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Aloo Chat Review

Friday, March 20, 2009, 11:47 [IST]

Ads by Google
Latest Bollywood Release
Straight Movie in Theatres Near You Watch Movie Review here at Desimad!
Desimad.com/Straight-Movie
Actor/Actress Photos
Download high quality Images. Explore & browse our collections
WhistlingWoods.Regalix.com
SantaBanta.com
Watch hottest bollywood videos and hear latest movie songs
www.santabanta.com
Biggest Reality Show
Real people, unreal situations Get to know more here
www.RealTelevision.in
Airtel Digital TV (DTH)
Best Picture & Sound, Universal Remote. Also win loads of prizes!
StarsComeHome.com/Digital-TV
Post your Resume here
Be a part of India's largest salary Survey & Benchmark your Salary!
shine.com/jobs
Bollywood Videos
View the hottest Videos & Trailers, Register for Free Now!
www.Bigadda.com
Vote For Earth
Aamir Khan support WWF India's EarthHour. Do You? Signup Now.
www.earthhour.in
Step by Step School,Noida
Admissions for Academic Session 2009-10 open. Apply Now
sbs-school.org
Top Stories
Movies
Chat
Gupshup
Previews
Reviews
Features
Box-Office
Interviews
Release Dates
Hrishikesh Mukherjee started a trend. Simple stories narrated in the most simplistic manner. His movies inspired a generation of film-makers and a lot of storytellers even today pay homage to Hrishi-da through their movies. Robby Grewal does so with Aloo Chaat. Only thing, the film lacks the sweetness associated that you expect from it.

Aloo Chaat makes you smile sporadically. At most times it's like watching a TV serial that's not hard to predict. 20 minutes into the film and you know what the culmination would be.

Robby's last outing MP3: Mera Pehla Pehla Pyaar was an interesting experience, but Aloo Chaat tries too hard to be a Hrishikesh Mukherjee kind of a film. Its execution brings back memories of the illustrious film-maker's several films as also Rajshri's DULHAN WAHI JO PIYA MAN BHAAYE [Prem Kishen, Rameshwari], but falls flat.

Verdict? This Aloo Chaat is spiceless!

What do you do when your entire family is against the bride of your choice? Do you replace your family? Or do you replace the bride?

Nikhil [Aftab Shivdasani] hails from Delhi and is visiting his family in India. His parents start showing him Punjabi girls for wedding. Knowing the temperament of his father Purshottam [Kulbhushan Kharbanda], he feels hesitant to disclose about his love affair. Hence, he approaches his father's best friend [Manoj Pahwa], who has a great influence on his father. Together they plot to bring Nikhil's girlfriend [Aamna Sharif] into the family.

Aloo Chaat suffers due to one major reason: It just doesn't hold your attention. The screenplay [Divya Nidhi Sharma] relies on the same old tricks and the same old situations that we've watched over and over again. You do smile at times not because the scenes are funny, but because the dialogues are witty.

Robby Grewal is letdown by a below-mediocre script. Music [Mehfuz Husain, RDB, Vipin Mishra] is soothing and a couple of melodies are tuneful. The video towards the end credits [RDB] is eye-catching. Dialogues are well penned.

Both Aftab and Aamna are limited to a few expressions. Not their fault frankly because the writing hardly gives them scope to perform. It's the supporting cast that works wonders. Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Manoj Pahwa and Sanjay Mishra sparkle. Dolly Ahluwalia is okay.

On the whole, Aloo Chaat just doesn't work. Below average.

Tags: aloo chaat, robby grewal, aftab shivdasani, kulbhushan kharbanda, aamna sharif.

Related Movies: Aloo Chaat (Aftab shivdasani, Linda Arsenio), Acid Factory (aftab shivdasani, Dia Mirza), Ek The Power One (kulbhushan kharbanda, Shreya Saran)

Rate the article :
  • Currently 0.00/5
  E-mail     To the Editor     Print
Write a comment ( All fields are mandatory )
Your Name:
Your Message:
(
 chars )
Security Code:                      
Report Abuse
Please select the reason that best describes your complaint.
Post is...
Irrelevant
po*nographic
Spam
Using abusive language
Using copyrighted material
Libelous
Enter the code in the box as it is shown below  
Security Code :
Are you sure that this is an abusive message?
Falsely reporting abuse may lead to revocation of your reporting rights

User Comments
[ javascript must be enabled to view and post comments. ]
[ ]

Be the first to comment this article.

Write a comment ( All fields are mandatory )
Your Name:
Your Message:
(
 chars )
Security Code:                      
showCommentsForm('entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/reviews/2009/','aloo-chat-review-200309.html',0, 'CommentForm_aloo-chat-review-200309.html_0',0,1,1);
//alert(window.location.hash); showFullComments();
Buy Tata Sky & Meet Asin
Priyanka Chopras latest Pics
Latest Pics and Videos of Katrina Kaif

sippy_a thumbnail

Aloo Chaat – Movie Review

By Aparajita Ghosh
Fri, Mar 20, 2009 15:55 IST

There's almost every spice to suit the Indian palate in director Robby Grewal's Aloo Chaat . The only bummer is that the story's course and conclusion is downright predictable.

What do you get when you pitch the East-West-cultural-divide against the Hindu-Muslim wedge in a rom-com plus family drama that doles no moral messages on religious integration or acceptance of diversity and yet makes an indirect assertion regarding it in a lighthearted, entertaining way? 'Aloo Chaat'.

Hands off! Tongues back to where they belong! Coz this one doesn't make you drool. For you've known the taste too many times.

Nikhil ( Aftab Shivdasani ), a Punjabi munda back from the US, loves a Muslim girl Aamna ( Aamna Sharif ) but is sure that his traditional Punjabi family – comprising of his conservative, and authoritative Papaji ( Kulbhushan Kharbanda ), Mummyji and Mamaji – won't accept her as the bride.

So he gangs up with his uncle, a sexologist, and hatches an ingenious plan. He gets a bikini-clad firangi gori ( Linda Arsenio ) to pretend as his fiance while Aamna is left to win over the family's heart by doing everything that's considered right in a typical Punjabi family in Delhi's Lajpat Nagar.

We all know what the outcome is going to be, so the only way 'Aloo Chaat' could have got its viewers glued to the screen is by telling the story interestingly. And to be fair, there are some genuinely funny moments. Like the old granny suspecting Nikhil to be a gay after watching the movie "Toota Mountain". Or Nikhil's suspicious mama creating troubles. But these moments are few and fleeting.

Aftab Shivdasani is at ease in the skin of his character, while Aamna Sharif (carrying her traditional image forward from TV) makes a comfortable debut that doesn't put much demand on her acting skills. Linda Arsenio chips in a lot of glam as the American gal who likes to sunbathe in Dilli ki dhoop. The supporting cast – Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Manoj Pahwa and Sanjay Mishra – is simple superb.

But for the title song, the music is no great shakes. The cinematography is strictly okay.

The movie, however, can be watched for some timepass fun.

Rating: **
sippy_a thumbnail
I'm happy that people are liking Aftab and my chemistry" - Aamna Shariff 

By Nikhil Ramsubramaniam, March 21, 2009 - 13:04 IST

She is an extremely popular name and face on Indian television courtesy her portrayal of 'Kashish' in TV serial 'Kahin To Hoga'. Now the extremely pretty and talented Aamna Shariff is all set to make her big Bollywood debut with the romantic comedy Aloo Chaat. In an exclusive interview to Bollywood Hungama, Aamna speaks about her first film, her first co-star Aftab and her love for all kinds of Chaats.

Aloo Chaat is your debut film in Bollywood. How do you feel?
I feel great. Before I started doing T.V., I was modeling for a couple of years. I did a few ads and music videos and always wanted to start off with a film. But one fine day I was offered a T.V. show, 'Kahin To Hoga', the script of which was so good that I simply couldn't refuse it. Today I am proud that I started with television and finally here I am doing something which I always wanted to do. So it's a dream come true for me.

How did you bag the film and what made you say yes?
Post 'Kahin To Hoga', I took a break for a year and a half and heard a lot of scripts. I actually wanted to debut with an out and out romantic film but when I heard the script of Aloo Chaat it was such a wonderful script with clean humour that I didn't think twice. I am glad that I took it up as my first film

I actually wanted to debut with an out and out romantic film
The film seems like a romantic comedy. Can you elaborate?
Yes Aloo Chaat is a light hearted romantic comedy. It's a very sweet film with some really chatpata characters.

What's your role in the film?
My character's name is Aamna in the film. She is a Muslim girl who is born and raised in the US. Though she has been in US, her values are very much Indian which is why when she first comes to India, she is seen mostly in Indian attire. She is a sweet, fun loving and family oriented girl.

My character's name is Aamna in the film. She is a Muslim girl who is born and raised in the US. Though she has been in US, her values are very much Indian.
How was it working with Aftab, your first co-star?
It has been a wonderful experience. Aftab is not just a very good actor but a very good human being. Initially I was a bit nervous as Aftab is very good at comedy and I needed to match his timing but he really made me comfortable and we really hit off. We even share the same Sun-Sign. I am happy that people are liking our chemistry

The film also has Linda Arsenio, so are you two girls vying for Aftab's attention? Is it a love triangle?
I wouldn't like to say much about that. You need to watch it for yourself (laughs). As for Linda, all I can say is that she is a complete pleasure to work with.

How was it working with director Robby Grewal?
It was great. Robby is new age, young and is very clear with what he wants. He is the kind of director who gives you complete freedom as an actor.

The first thing that comes to one's mind when we say Aloo Chaat is the yummy chaats so are you a chaat person?
I am a complete chaat person. I love all kinds of chaats. In fact, my mom keeps telling me to go easy on chaats (laughs) but I enjoy them nevertheless and then work out a little more. My all time favorite chaat is Pani Puri.

Coming back to your career, now that you have made your debut in Bollywood, is it good-bye to T.V.?
I would never say goodbye to television. That is so harsh. Whatever I am today is because of T.V. so I would never make such a statement. All I would say is I like to concentrate on one thing at a time and right now I am focusing on doing films.

How similar or different is it shooting for a T.V. serial and working in a Bollywood film?
The big difference is that when you are doing T.V. show, you don't know where to take your character graph and which track the serial will be heading in. In films, you have the script ready with you and know where to take the character.

Your good-friend Rajeev Khandelwal made a super debut last year with Aamir. Did you get to see the film?
Of course I saw the film. It's a lovely film and Rajeev is brilliant. You need a lot of guts to take such a film for your debut and he really lived up to all expectations.

What kind of roles are you looking at doing now?
I don't want to have any particular mindset. I would like to do every role that is challenging rather than go with easy characters. At the same time, I would love to do a hard core romantic role and even do a role without make-up

Any dream actors and directors you would wish to work with...
I am just starting out. I would obviously like to work with all the great directors and actors. I have always admired the way Aamir Khan has worked so I would like to work with him.

I have always admired the way Aamir Khan has worked so I would like to work with him
What are your future projects?
I have signed a film but can't talk much about it. Right now I am just waiting for the audience reactions to Aloo Chaat.

Finally give us 3 good reasons to watch Aloo Chaat?
It's a very well directed film, has some brilliant characters and is a really sweet, clean, funny film.

sippy_a thumbnail

Aamna Shariff and even boyfriend Aftab Shivdasani are still strugglers but only God knows why they behave like stars.

The two some created a huge scene at Jaipur, which also happens to be Aamna's former boyfriend Rajeev Khandelwal's native place while promoting 'Aloo Chaat.'

A source says, "Aamna and Aftab who were there to promote their soon to be released flick Aloo Chaat reached two hours late. Members of the media were livid with them for their careless behaviour. We know you get late if you are shooting or you have several other conferences to attend but they had come down to Jaipur especially for this event."

Even stars like Ash get late but they are considerate enough to apologise. But not Aamna even though her debut film is so very unimpressive. Aftab did, but the anger of the crowd didn't die down.

After a ten year old struggle in B-Town, Aaftab has got a few tips. But not Aamna. Affy needs to pass them on to his girl as soon as possible. Otherwise surviving even for a far lesser period for her here will be difficult.

-