Book of the Fortnight-My Sister's Keepe

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

On a suggestion by Sareeta, this is your Mahi bringing you the....

Yes, yes, this time's Book of the Fortnight is "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult!!

Sareeta and I will be reading this book and we want our very own Book Talk members to pick up this book with us and read it!  So grab your favorite cup of coffee and get going!

This a Discussion/Comments thread for "My Sister's Keeper."  While you're reading it, put down your comments, questions, favorite quotes, and any discussions you want to take place.

Please don't wait till you finish the book, but do put down your initial thoughts and the thoughts while you're reading it.

Have FUN reading and discussing!  

Mahi
Book Talk Dev. Team

Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Pinky- thumbnail
i started reading it just recently because everyone said its very good..  i'm liking it so far.. its very engaging! i'm curious to know what Anna ends up doing..
sareeta thumbnail
Yay!! It's up!! THanks Mahi!!  I am right now , way into the middle of the story and want to finish it and re-read it again!!

Will get back and chip in more!
-Mystery- thumbnail
You're welcome, Sareeta!!

I have actually just started it! But I'll be reading it over the weekend so should get it done soon.  I am liking it so far...

Anna's struggles are interesting and heart breaking at the same time. 

-Mahi

Ritika2025 thumbnail
I started it 2 days ago..

Pretty engrossing so far.. I love the way Picoult portrays the emotional turmoil of Anna, Brian and Jesse..
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
i haven't bought it yet! I'll try ro pick up a copy :)
-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Everyone always talks about how such a good read it is..my last year english teacher suggested I read it..but I read the syponis and it seems kinda lame..but I'm sure its a good book.. I will read it, sooon, when I finish my current "to read list".

-Navi.
Morgoth thumbnail
I'm reading it at the moment and so far I like the novel.

The story itself is unusual and gripping. Anna's dilemma is portrayed with a great deal of sensitivity. The unique set up of having Anna prosecute her parents and Anna's mother being the defendant lawyer is great for building tension between the various characters.

I find the change overs to different points of view a little annoying, but overall, the writing is fresh and without cliches. 

Khobsurat_11 thumbnail
i seriously cant wait monday..so i can go to my schools library and take the book out...i seriously cant wait...........................

thanks for the lovely book Mahi

-Samon
-Mystery- thumbnail
Alright, I am half way through the book and here are my feelings so far.

• I love the fact that the point of view changes with every chapter.  I always have preferred omniscient narrative style instead of limited but I just want to know what everyone is thining and that's very well portrayed in this book.  We get to see all the point of views and thus have a better grip on what everyone's feelings are.
  • I think Anna's dilemma is very well portrayed.  She's just like any other sister who just loves her sister but she can't stand the fact that she has no control over her body.  She's sacrificed a lot for her sister but she can't be her donor anymore.  But she knows that this will have some dire consequences for her sister.  Her struggles are so real and related to human nature that I'm just so involved in the book.
  • I just love Brian's insights.  It seems like he's one of those perfect fathers who always tries to understand all of his kids and what they are going through.  He seems to understand Anna's problems more than her mother does.  He goes all out to protect her and actually tries to make her feel better and less torn apart between what she wants and what she has to do.
  • I have developed sort of a dislike for Anna's mother - Sara.  I completely understand that she is going through a lot with her one daughter - Kate - going to hospital every now and then and all of that.  I understand that she's the one who goes through all of this when Brian actually does get some rest as he says himself that he tries to stay at the fire station more. But still it feels like Sara only cares about Kate and not about any of her other children.  I completely understand that Kate is the one who needs more care and comfort as always but she needs to understand as well that this way her other kids will develop a sort of dislike for Kate, which I think Jesse has.  
  • Overall, I think all characters are very real to life and none of them are sort of impossible to imagine.  I can't wait till I finish the book, I am just a little sick so can't do that today. 
-Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago