Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sareeta thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

It is, Jessie, and I can say that because I've read it... It's a beautiful book that makes you get so engrossed in it that you forget it's already 2 a.m. and you have to go to classes tomorrow.  Do read it if you have time, such a wonderfully written novel!

-Mahi

Mahi - You too ?!! I sat up till 4:25 AM or so, to finish the book and then did a bunk to work, actually got in late! ๐Ÿ˜Š
And yeah I agree, it's hard to put the book down, and I hated it when I had to get on with work and wait till I get home to read the book again!! But then I wrapped it up finally!

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: sareeta

Mahi - You too ?!! I sat up till 4:25 AM or so, to finish the book and then did a bunk to work, actually got in late! ๐Ÿ˜Š
And yeah I agree, it's hard to put the book down, and I hated it when I had to get on with work and wait till I get home to read the book again!! But then I wrapped it up finally!

I know I was struggling to put the book down.  Actually I kept hoping the chapter wouldn't end so soon. Like usually I put the book down when the chapter ends.. So everytime one chapter ended, I'd be like one more and then I kept hoping that chapter won't end.  Yeah but I finished it and oh man it took me to a different emotional level.. Just full of irony and.... well.. just real life.

-Mahi

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Spoiler!

So i got and read the book yesterday...lol i couldnt put it down but luckily i went to sleep on time๐Ÿ˜† ((i also got The Kite Runner, am about to start that book today๐Ÿ˜ƒ))

i really liked the book, i was so engrossed in it that i only put it down twice, once to eat, the other to find a bookmark๐Ÿ˜†! I am glad you suggested this book, Mahi. It made me look into an aspect of life i had never experienced before...having a sick child, not able to do much about it, you cant really understand the pain Sara and Brian went through without actually going through it but i kinda got an idea. I was also wondering why Kate wasnt given a voice, but i realized why at the end. It was really tragic to see that Anna died helping her sister. Anna helped Kate till her death, it was just so sweet and emotional. I was kind of shocked when Anna was declared Brain Dead, it took me a while to get it all in my head....i couldnt stop thinking about the book even after i put it down...It was truly an awesome book. ๐Ÿ˜Š This was also like a whole different genre that i usually read, and i discovered that i liked the storyline and wouldnt mind reading books in that genre =]

-Jessie
Edited by Angad luver#1 - 15 years ago
-Mystery- thumbnail
^ Jessie, it seems like you're going through the same emotional upheaval I went through when I finished the book, it truly is amazing!

You got The Kite Runner? Amazing! It's an excellent book! Just amazing book... I don't have enough words to describe it...

Should we make The Kite Runner our next Book of the Fortnight?

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail

Ok, am here, after battling those horrible deadlines and boy am I glad!! Hee Hee!!

Okay about my reading experience of the book -

I found myself enjoying the narrative style as being a first person, but used for the different characters as well, which I've never read before.

And in a bizarre way , I found myself connecting to one of the characters more strongly ... although I appreciated knowing the thought process of the other characters; For me Brian Fitzgerald was the one character, I found myself connecting and seeing his point of view more clearly, through this style of narration. I suppose this does happen or may be it is intended too, I am not too sure.

I enjoyed the connect and the way we were able to see both sides of it, between Campbell and Anna and of course between Anna and her dad.

Somehow, Brian's view and stand on matters and his stand on matters concerned with all of the members of his family rather than just Kate is what made me appreciate it all the more.

Strangely, Brian's recounts evoked empathy , rather than Sara's ,because after the first , it just was the same, it was always jus one kid - Kate... we never got to know what she thought of others or their situation.

Sara's point of view just didn't deviate from Kate at all, and rightly so, and somehow , although as a mother she was concerned about all her kids, it does leave the reader wanting to know more about what did she think about the rest  and makes the reader wonder , did she think of anyone else except Kate at all, if not all the time, but atleast at some point like Brian did?

I liked the idea of no narration from Kate , until the fag end , for it would somehow , create a bias a  terrible sympathy for the girl...blinding the situation of her family to the reader or for me at least! When a patient narrates, there is inevitably his/her pain and agony kind of shadowing the emotions and the predicament of their immediate family.

And at the risk of sounding brutal and cruel, it made me wonder at the end of it all, that was Sara right in keeping Kate alive to suffer all her life and bring a baby into this world another baby, who would also undergo the  painful procedures only to watch her sister buy a few more moments but continue to suffer all the same ? Am I asking that Sara and Brian ought to have let go of it ? maybe I do for the simple reason, that I don't think Kate deserved to suffer , in such horrible contrast to live the torture filled moments of her life every minute, every day!

In that sense, I connected with Brian, when he came to terms with the fact that ,  it must have been time for Kate and he spends those moments alone re-collecting all those moments...and more than anything else, I thought, thank god, he is attempting to come to terms with the inevitable, something they possibly ought to have long back

Finally , I just wondered for a  long time after finishing the book as much as I did while reading it  - they are trying to keep her alive, only to make her suffer more ? isn't that torture then for Kate and Anna joins her too , which is - well for the lack of a better word - unfair!

What I said may make me sound possible cruel and rutheless, but well... I guess, I rather prefer a terminally ill patient , dead rather than live a torturous life...possibly my incapability  to imagine or watch some in pain, knowing it would end in death eventually ... I just wish it came sooner and took them away than making them suffer so and anyone who prays otherwise is possibly being selfish... I don't know I possibly am rambling, but to crave for a terminally ill patient to survive with pain, just coz you want them to and not because they want - who would want to live in such pain anyway? Even Kate didn't !

I guess, too many questions popped up in my head and may I have begun questioning things more seriously after this book, something possibly I didnt ask earlier even if they did occur to me.

No offense to any of the readers or the members...jus a pov.

-Sareeta

Edited by sareeta - 15 years ago
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

^ Jessie, it seems like you're going through the same emotional upheaval I went through when I finished the book, it truly is amazing!

You got The Kite Runner? Amazing! It's an excellent book! Just amazing book... I don't have enough words to describe it...

Should we make The Kite Runner our next Book of the Fortnight?

-Mahi

Yep...The Kite Runner would make an execellent choice for next week's Books of the Fortnight.

I havent read the book as of yet...had to read another book "Pride and Prejudice" for school. And so far Pride and Prejudice is a good book.๐Ÿ‘ 

Im going to start the book today, or whenever the next Book Of The Fortnight is posted..๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜Š
aishwaria thumbnail
I just finished the book and its simply amazing. I don't have enough words to describe it.

I agree with sareeta that Brian's character was the best and the one who came to terms with everything.

But I can also understand Sara's condition b/c when a child is sick/upset the mother pays more attention to him/her,Its quite natural. Because at that time Kate needed her parents' attention more than her siblings.

I think that the most disturbed member of the family was Jesse b/c he was totally neglected and sort of cut off from his family.

But anna's death was very unexpected but she died giving her sister a chance to live.

Saba

sareeta thumbnail
@Saba - Yeah I see where you are coming from , about Sara always being concerned about Kate, but natural, and I'd like to think she was as concerned about her other two kids,... Jesse and Anna as well ... and like you mentioned Jesse was the most neglected... Anna still got some attention, possibly she was the very reason... for Kate's life ( however long that was)

I just wish , the book told us more about how Sara treated the rest of her kids... as well.. or even wondering about them... for us , the readers to know... it just leaves so much in the dark about her... and somehow...Sara's narration just couldnt help me connect with her... I was bored of reading about Kate in every line that she spoke!
-Mystery- thumbnail
I have to agree about the disconnection that readers feel with Sara.

Even I was sad reading Sara's narration.  It seemed like she only cared about Kate... Which I completely understand that as a mother she can't help but think about the child who's sick and can die any moment.  But I feel that also as a mother she had a duty towards all her kids.  A mother should be able to treat her all kids well and equal.  She seemed to not have that ability.

I hate to read that every time Anna said she didn't want to do it or she is scared, Sara would emotionally blackmail her into doing it.  She would say "We don't want to you to do it either but in future you'll regret" or so.. I mean that's how your other kids should be treated?  It just didn't make sense.

That's one reason that I could connect with Brian so well.. She cared for all his kids equally.  From the beginning when he wrote Anna just wasn't the same on dinner when she had sold her necklace.  He seemed to notice where his kids were going... he would notice the difference in their actions/behavoir whereas Sara seemed completely oblivious to everyone but Kate.

One thing that touched me, though, was when she was talking about the day after the operation when Brian gives Anna the necklace... then Sara's says something like "I never said thank you because I couldn't think of appreciating someone for their misery" or something similar and at that time I felt for her.

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail

One thing that touched me, though, was when she was talking about the day after the operation when Brian gives Anna the necklace... then Sara's says something like "I never said thank you because I couldn't think of appreciating someone for their misery" or something similar and at that time I felt for her.

-Mahi

Mahi, I agree, that one line hits the reader like a bolt, but coming from Sara , it just didnt have the effect for me... I almost said aloud..."You think, that solves it all?" It just didnt make things alright... I may be, well realized, she isnt bad after all, but not better!