Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: sareeta

Mahi, I agree, that one line hits the reader like a bolt, but coming from Sara , it just didnt have the effect for me... I almost said aloud..."You think, that solves it all?" It just didnt make things alright... I may be, well realized, she isnt bad after all, but not better!

I completely agree, Sareeta, and she was the one who slapped Anna when she came to know that Anna had filed a lawsuit... she had behaved horribly with her and it seemed like she always took a one sided perspective... and that side always had Kate.  But after all, she is a mother... She did realize that it was hurting Anna but she was saving her sister... It wasn't killing Anna - emotionally yes but it also kills a mother to have the feeling that she couldn't do anything and let her child die.

I always used to get agree at Sara for revolving everything around Kate, for not being able to provide a healthy environment for all the other kids, and for not understanding Anna, but I also feel for her.  I do think that she wasn't the best mother she could've been but all the same she loved Anna and all her kids... At the end when Anna and Brian come back home, her small conversation with Anna when putting her to bed proves that... at the end she couldn't let Anna go either... she was struggling.

I think Anna was doing all that so at the end she couldn't say that she didn't do everything she possibly could've to save Kate... at the end they wouldn't ve forced Anna if she didn't want to, but it was the thought that she as a mother had done everything!

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

I completely agree, Sareeta, and she was the one who slapped Anna when she came to know that Anna had filed a lawsuit... she had behaved horribly with her and it seemed like she always took a one sided perspective... and that side always had Kate.  But after all, she is a mother... She did realize that it was hurting Anna but she was saving her sister... It wasn't killing Anna - emotionally yes but it also kills a mother to have the feeling that she couldn't do anything and let her child die.

I just see it as Sara did never attempt to see the complete picture...she had all her concentration on Kate... you know like a water color painting where you are focusing too much on one aspect and the color and the water drains out towards the rest of the paint leaving a mess of color... its just painted that for me when she said that line...a painting horribly gone wrong... and even as Brian tried to smudge the mess out... he was only partly successful...

And about the feeling of a mother , not being able to do anything for her kid and watch her die, I guess, it is inevitable and well... I guess, one who experiences it is the only who knows, but still, to almost treat the one kid who is helping her in this attempt in a manner that is almost borders on neglect is for the lack of a better word - unpardonable to me!

And well... why don't for once the people who are watching the terminally ill patients understand , that keeping them alive is more of a torture , than bidding them a more peaceful adieu!

I always used to get agree at Sara for revolving everything around Kate, for not being able to provide a healthy environment for all the other kids, and for not understanding Anna, but I also feel for her.  I do think that she wasn't the best mother she could've been but all the same she loved Anna and all her kids... At the end when Anna and Brian come back home, her small conversation with Anna when putting her to bed proves that... at the end she couldn't let Anna go either... she was struggling.

Yeah I do see what you say and dont deny it at all.. but I still have the same thing popping in my head.. why not before , and why at the fag end , that little talk with her daughter?

And she was struggling because she made the choice of bringing in another child who'd have to be tortured along with her eldest one who is already suffering! I see it as her choice, not as something that was thrust upon her!

every problem has a solution, only it may not be a nice one all the time, but is it right to involve innocent ones and almost infringe ( here, Anna's right to her own body just didnt exist!) on their freedom? I don't think so... definitely NO!

I think Anna was doing all that so at the end she couldn't say that she didn't do everything she possibly could've to save Kate... at the end they wouldn't ve forced Anna if she didn't want to, but it was the thought that she as a mother had done everything!

I guess so... yeah, but she finally end up loosing her anyway , which she knew on day 1 and the consequences of the medical procedures as well! It doesnt really change anything... does it? I dont know Mahi... this book leaves too many questions dangling right in front of us to answer....

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
Mahi - When is the book up for discussion?
-Mystery- thumbnail
Originally posted by: sareeta

Mahi - When is the book up for discussion?

I am sorry, Sareeta, I have been too busy with projects and exams that I couldn't do it.. but I'll put it up soon..

"The Kite Runner" was the first book of the month, but if the new members want to read it again then I'll put it up as our next one... but you guys want a different book let me know, we'll go with the majority.

-Mahi

Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago
sareeta thumbnail
Oh, I didnt know Kite Runner was already up for discussion earlier, then may be we ought to try a new one... how about a Thousand Splendid suns?
-Mystery- thumbnail

Yeah, it was a while ago and we do have many new members, so we can still do it.  I mean I have nothing against that. I absolutely love the book!

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a good idea too.. I have read it but I have to warn all those who have read the Kite Runner don't except it to be as good as that.  It's not, at least I don't think so. 

-Mahi

-Mystery- thumbnail
So guys do reply what you want... The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns.. or anything else.. I want to put up the next one so that most people will be interested.

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
My vote goes for 'A Thousand Splendid Suns ' this week!
-Mystery- thumbnail
^ Thanks, Sareeta, I'll wait for a couple more days, and then the majority wins!

-Mahi

sareeta thumbnail
No worries... meanwhile, I've started reading the book and so far its really really good!!!

And if another is up for discussion , all the more better, a new book to read!! 😊