Book Talk

Omniscient or Limited Narrative Styles?

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

I wanted to know which style you like better? Omniscient or Limited?

Omniscient (most commonly known as the third person omnisicent narrative) is when the author is not a character in the book rather is that external voice that knows all the characters thoughts and defines it for the readers.  So we know what everyone's thinking and there's limited bias.

Limited Narrative is when usually (but not always) the author is one of the characters and thus we learn what's going on through that one character's feelings.  We begin to sympathize and empathize more with that one character.

So what do you like more?  What style would you rather prefer? Of course there are certain themes and books that fits well with either of the styles but there has to be one style that you prefer more... Knowing about the feelings of all the characters or just one?

-Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sareeta thumbnail
Such lovely interesting topics and darn, am so short of time! Grrr... I hate hectic schedules, but then who doesn't!

I'll get back to this later in the day!

Thanks Mahi for these interesting topics to discuss!

Its so good to see this section getting active again!! I've missed being here so much!!
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
It depends on what kind of story it is... I like both as long as the writer does justice to it... but when I write a story I usually write in limited narrative because it's easier for me... omniscient narrative is hard to do justice to...
-Mystery- thumbnail
Sareeta - You're most welcome, and I know hectic schedules are no fun, but hey whenever you can take time off, you'll find us here 😳

Chhilt - Definitely the most important thing is whether or not the writer does justice to it.

For some reason, I just want to know what everyone's thinking... I can' live with the fact that we know only one person's side of the story.  Maybe it's related to the fact that one character gives us a biased side of the story and it's not until you look at what every character is feeling that you actually begin to get the whole picture.  That's really important especially with the books with certain themes but when the novels are coming of age and like that then I understand if we just have the narrative point of view.

See, when I was reading The Kite Runner, I just wanted to know what feelings went on in Hassan's mind or Ali's or Baba's... but we only got to know Amir's side of the story which was heart breaking and touching and more than interesting to read but I still wish I knew what Hassan was thinking at certain points... See like htat I just want to know what the different characters' take is on different things.

-Mahi

kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Love the topic :yeah:

Generally, it depends on the book. As has been said above, if the author can do justice to it, all's well. Limited narrative, in a way, binds the reader with the mind of the single most important character and their feelings. Personally, I love reading from different point-of-views, because it widens the horizon and the reader is introduced to multiple perspectives on the same situation. If the characters are well fleshed out and the author knows what s/he wants with the story, either can come across as powerful.

This content was originally posted by: -Mystery-

See, when I was reading The Kite Runner, I just wanted to know what feelings went on in Hassan's mind or Ali's or Baba's... but we only got to know Amir's side of the story which was heart breaking and touching and more than interesting to read but I still wish I knew what Hassan was thinking at certain points... See like htat I just want to know what the different characters' take is on different things.

See, IMO, if we had Hassan's POV the story/character might have provoked different feelings. The reason we felt so sympathetic and heartbroken for Hassan was because Amir painted him as something that was ineffable. Hassan was almost untouchable, too good to be human. Somehow to read from his perspective might have shadowed the enigma Amir created. However, completely agree that the story could have become a lot richer through Ali, and Baba's eyes, especially the later.

-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I generally like books written in first person narrative mainly so the connection between you and the book can be more deep. Like you get to know what's really going on in that character's head and everything through their pov. On the other hand, if it's a third person narrative book, you get an unbiased approach to the happenings in the book.. therefore you'll like whoever you like.

Also I like reading those books where it's written in first person..but in like more than 1 person's perspective.. anyone get what I'm saying?

-Navi.
-Mystery- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ftm_ca

See, IMO, if we had Hassan's POV the story/character might have provoked different feelings. The reason we felt so sympathetic and heartbroken for Hassan was because Amir painted him as something that was ineffable. Hassan was almost untouchable, too good to be human. Somehow to read from his perspective might have shadowed the enigma Amir created. However, completely agree that the story could have become a lot richer through Ali, and Baba's eyes, especially the later.

Very interesting! You've raised a very interesting point!! Definitely agree that from Amir's point of view, Hassen was really almost untouchable and a perfect friend... True if we had his point of view then that might break the image and he might become just like any other person who makes mistakes.  I hadn't thought about it this way... Amazing point!

Definitely, especially Amir learns the truth of his relationship with Hassan, Baba's point of view would help me a lot.  Although Rahim Khan tried his best to explain, I would've wanted Baba to say something on his behalf... maybe a diary he found, or a letter or something....

-Mahi

Morgoth thumbnail
As a reader, I don't have a particular preference.

As a writer, I'd have to see what message I want to give to the reader, and who I'd have to use as a medium/s.

Re: Kite Runner - I don't think I wanted to know Baba's POV or Ali's. It was purely Amir's story - about his internal conflict and transformation. Knowing another person's POV would not have helped; it would have merely changed the story or added more unnecessary information which would have deviated from the main plotline.

This content was originally posted by: suuunshiine

I generally like books written in first person narrative mainly so the connection between you and the book can be more deep. Like you get to know what's really going on in that character's head and everything through their pov. On the other hand, if it's a third person narrative book, you get an unbiased approach to the happenings in the book.. therefore you'll like whoever you like.

Also I like reading those books where it's written in first person..but in like more than 1 person's perspective.. anyone get what I'm saying?

-Navi.

Yep; It's called first-person limited with shifting points of view. Jodi Picoult uses it in My Sister's Keeper.
Edited by Morgoth - 15 years ago