DOTW - Humor - a Good technique?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Here's your friend Mahi bringing you the....

Yep, it's the Discussion of the week! This time we're discussing how useful technique is it to use Humor?

Do humor make a narrative better or worse in your opinion?

Do you think it's good to add humor to a tensed situation? Do you tend to enjoy those chapters?

Do you think sarcasm is a good technique to add humor to a situation? Do you tend to enjoy witty/sarcastic characters?

Well, have fun discussing!  

Mahi
Dev Team
Great topic, Mahi!

1. Humour usually does make a narrative better... because if a book has absolutely no humour at all it might drag on in some places and if humourous scenes had been added there it might not have felt so dry.

2. It depends on what kind of tensed situation it is.. most of the time it humour does help to ease the tension a little but if the scene doesn't require the reader to lighten up a little then humour shouldn't be used there. For instance, take the chapter entitled Malfoy Manor from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... if humour had been splashed there, it would have completely ruined it.

3. I usually do like witty and sarcastic characters.. but characters who are too sarcastic tend to put me off for some odd reason... a little bit of sarcasm is okay but not too much... i do enjoy witty conversations in books though :)

Well it depends on what the writer is trying to convey through the situation.

Humour makes looking at the gory things in life more bearable at times, or it can add a different perspective to what people normally see as a stereotype, or can also be simply tasteless (depending on the subject matter and audience.)

Originally posted by -Mystery-

Here's your friend Mahi bringing you the....

Yep, it's the Discussion of the week! This time we're discussing how useful technique is it to use Humor?

i like humor but it has to be done right..no corny jokes or slapstick in novels.. i don't read books that are just funny and anything else..i like comic relief in books, well in certain books..

Do you think it's good to add humor to a tensed situation? Do you tend to enjoy those chapters?
YES.. and i love those chapters especially.

Do you think sarcasm is a good technique to add humor to a situation? Do you tend to enjoy witty/sarcastic characters?
i love sarcasm..especially snarky characters..those are always the most memorable characters hence Jessica Darling.

Well, have fun discussing!  

Mahi
Dev Team
Subtle and situational humor is good and it also depends on the characters through which the humor is attempted... ; slapstick humor is something I don't enjoy at all...nothing too in the face... but something subtle...

Humor without a sarcastic undertone can be used very effectively...

Subtle/dry humor induced to ease out a tense situation , is also a welcome relief, but not in all intense situations...

Well, all said and done, an overdose of anything is unbearable ..

Better, i like to laugh😆

welll...i dont know....perhaps.😕 never actually thought about it while reading😆
Yea...i like sarcastic characters😆 i can relate better at times😆

**will edit later** will try to think of smarter answers!😆

I completely agree with you guys that excess of anything doesn't work well.

I am a fan of good humor and I enjoy it when some authors can include intelligent humor in the most serious situations too.  I like Dan Brown for that quality but if the jokes are corny and have double meanings then I don't enjoy it that much.

Usually I do enjoy sarcasm too, but mostly the sarcasm is included in a way that reveals more about that character or others.  So that helps the story.

Overall, some humor is definitely a plus point in any novel, but how and when it's used is a whole new story.

-Mahi