One thing you absolutely dislike in books....

Posted: 15 years ago
Hey Friends,

Well, since most of us here love reading, I wanted to know what's one thing that you dislike about/in books... It could be anything.... from any particular styles to narrative styles... or character names or any particular traits of characters, maybe humor... Just anything.  What's one thing that you don't like about/in books..

Keep Smiling 😊

-Mahi

Interesting Topic...I'll have to get back to this one because I can't think of anything right noww.
neat topic.

-will post a big ramble later :)
Edited by suuunshiine - 15 years ago
Awesome topic! Well... here are a few...

- Swear words in books... honestly it just ticks me off

- Poetry... gosh it's just so... it's just not my thing...

- Some classics... I do love quite a few classical books... for example, I loved Treasure Island and I'm reading Jane Eyre which is quite engrossing... but for some odd reason I don't like Oliver Twist...

That's all for now.... if I remember any more I'll post them here!
Edited by chhilt - 15 years ago
Excessive Descriptions. That really annoys me. I remember reading Huckleberry Finn and felt that at one point, there was something like two pages of description on digging a hole!!
lol yeah ^ description on certain things ticks me off...
& also big words that are totally out of my vocabularly lmao.
i hate books that have such big words that you gotta pull out a dictionary everytime to get the meaning, not that i do but just saying

will think of other things later on :)
Thanks guys for replying!

Chhilt - I agree with the swear words.. Sometimes the plot/story demands it but even then at times I feel like they are over used.  And that just ruins the entire book for me.

Shelly - agree about the excessive details.  I get bored quickly if there are so many details especially when even then I can't get the image of what the author is talking about.

Personally I get annoyed when there are a lot of characters in a book but not many references.  Like many authors would give the characters a title if there were many so it won't be confusing like George the mason, so when you read that you quickly remember who was George but some authors just keep introducing the characters and mention them again and I have to go back a few pages to remember who this person was.

-Mahi

I personally do not mind swear words b/c I myself cuss.. a lot lol :)

I hate certain adjectives being re-used over and over again in a book..it's jeez every heard of a thesaurus. As well, over the top adjectives is ridiculous.. hence Stephenie Meyers.. it doesn't come of smart or intelligent it just comes off unprofessional.

I hate detail about scenes that take place in nature..

When there is reference made to a tv show or a song or a band or something..but then you google it..and it was just made up in the book.

When there is a twist but it was so obvious due to the excessive foreshadowing.
I hate books that leave you hanging at the very end...just pisses me off lol.
Lack of Pics.....long description on certain things ticks me off and over use of swear words