Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: snowflake0555

I hate books that leave you hanging at the very end...just pisses me off lol.

I actually don't mind that.. especially because the story has no end.. no "bad" ending and no "over the top & oh-so cliche good" ending.
snowflake0555 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
^ I know but I think it's just annoying...like in English class we were reading short stories and most of them didn't have a particular "ending" it just left you hanging...and I hate when book/stories do that same w/ movies & tv shows haha...I guess most people don't mind but I do :/
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
There are quite a few things I can't tolerate in books:
- Purple prose. It ticks me off more than anything.

- When writers use words without looking up their meaning / rape the thesaurus. For instance, Stephenie Meyer and the word "chagrin" among others.

- Second-person narration gone wrong. Most of the time, it is contrived in novels. Some writers do take the time to make it as good as first-/third-person narration.

- Mary Sue/Gary Stu.  I loathe flat characters, characters who have no flaws, and self-inserts. It makes me feel like I'm reading a story on fanfiction[dot]net rather than a published book.

- Grammatical errors/spelling errors. Because if I wanted to read the unedited version, I would have googled the manuscript.

- Too much telling and not enough showing or contradictions in the show and tell aspects. If a character is smart, then at least have the character have an intelligent thought. What good is the writer telling me that the character is a genius if everything in the book contradicts that?
thejasseffect thumbnail
most of u like reading?! where am i?! wheres the LIGHT! it burrnssss