DOTW - Quantity or Quality Reading?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Here's your friend Mahi bringing you the....

Yep, it's the Discussion of the week! This time we're discussing which is more important?  Quantity Reading or in other words how much you read or quality reading or in other words how well you absorb the information given in a book, which may mean spending more time on the same page.

Do you think it's better to read as many books as you can in a short time period or is it better to read only one but in a way that you get the most out of it?

I know it makes more sense to do the quality reading more but aren't we all guilty of reading fast so that we can get to the other 3 new books we bought? Or can you resist that and still give a book the proper time?

Do you think Quality Reading makes us learn more or in future it lets us remember what we read more?

Well, have fun discussing!  

Mahi
Dev Team
- I read any book that I buy at the same speed that I would usually read it... which is pretty fast!

- I don't have to resist the temptation of the other books I bought because, like I said, I read every book at the same speed... even if there are several more waiting for me!

- I remember most of the story of whichever book I read... most of the time, if I've just read it once I forget the character names...

I might edit this later!
Quality reading is def. key. I, like anyone else, so read alot of books but I tend to enjoy it more when you're able to absorb the story rather than just rushing through to reach the end!

Quality reading to me is also based on the types of books that are read - whether its a time pass kind of book or a more meaningful book with a strong messgae.

Quality reading for sure!
I like absorbing a book better than anything, but even quality reading doesn't take very long for me :)
Its better to read one book, which you can get more out of it. Then again i do read pretty fast so can read a lot in a short amount of time so yeah i suppose we all kind of do rush them to read other books.

And Yeah Qual reading makes us remember things more in the future.

Nice Discussion Mahi!
Edited by anon - 15 years ago
Quality reading wins the vote, but yes, I'm VERY much guilty of quantity reading when it comes to novels.

I  usually gulp down the book at one go, even thogh it may be the only book I've brought. That's because I want to get into the story as soon as possible. It just happens naturally.

It's usually in the second reading that I get the most out of the book.

When it comes to study books, I usually give space to quality, but then I've sometimes experienced that I don't get a whole impression as I'd been involved in the minute details. So I first skim read and then do it in detail-which I've found out to be productive.

-EraN😉

Just like most of you, I also think that quality reading is the key.  What's the point of reading any book when you don't even get the main points and themes?

But I think it's also true that there are some very weird books out there.  I had to read one for one of my courses "The Tale of Genji" and it's supposed to be first written novel of the world.  But I tell you it's so boring that I was the only one in the entire class who actually bothered to read the entire thing.  In that case I very much did quantity reading skimming through pages and pages.

And in other cases I am also guilty of quantity reading. I get a bunch of new books and can't wait to get to the next one.  So I read them so very fast but usually I go back and re read them so I haven't missed any great points. 

And usually even in quantity reading I may not remember all the details but I do usually remember the main points and all.

Quality reading is definitely the key with most readings.  After all only when you take the time is when you truly realize the worth of the book and enjoy it.

-Mahi