Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shabari thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: shabari

yes, we have to call our pals now...high time...kynki ab thalis aane wali hein....who wants to miss those?๐Ÿ˜†

shabari thumbnail
Originally posted by: chitra anand

shabbo,bring indian flowers..yeh kaun hai yaha,,some thai lady..๐Ÿ˜†..we shd do a pooja and let me bring chkra pongal from my side..wait..

chitra that lady is from singapore๐Ÿ˜†...memories for you.....thali achi thi na?chakra pongal ka recipe mila....i'll try it today

Anyways, Ven Pongal and Chakara (Sweet) Pongal are made specifically on one of the South Indian Festival called 'Pongal'. Pongal is considered to be the harvest festival and is celebrated in India as one of the auspicious day. It is similar to the Thanksgiving. Generally this festival is for 4 days and you can know more about the Pongal festival following the link.

Even now, in Temples we get this Pongal as 'prasad'. They give only little but it will taste like 'Amridham'. I love this recipe. This is one of the easiest and richest sweets I know.

Ingredients:

1 cup raw rice
1/2 cup moong dal
1 cup ghee/butter
few cashews
few raisins
1 cup Jaggery
4-5 cups of water

Method:

In a Rice cooker or an ordinary cooker, cook the raw rice and moong dal together with water. For both Ven Pongal and sweet pongal, you must cook with excess water.

When this is cooked in a pan, melt the jaggery and filter it if it contains any dust particles.

Add this jaggery water to this cooked mixture and mix well.

In a pan, add ghee/butter and saute cashews and raisins. Add this along with the ghee to the cooked mixture and mix well.

Serve hot
shabari thumbnail
so chitra...hope you have a wonderful festival...and once again wishing everyone a happy makara sankranti.
Chits1 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
kolam.jpg image by chitraanand

Kolam from my side.This is done on Pongal day.
Chits1 thumbnail
wow,lovely chakra pongal..thanks shabbo.Arrey,where is our gang? varsha,abhi,vids,sunil and all others are welcome here.
Chits1 thumbnail
thalis are inviting.Let;s wait for everyone.feeling sleepy shabbo.see you early morning tomo..
happy pongal.,once more..
shabari thumbnail

kolam.jpg image by chitraanand

Kolam from my side.This is done on Pongal day.

nice rangoli chitra...so it's called kolam in tamilnadu?tum bhi lagana outside your door if it's permitted...๐Ÿ˜Š
shabari thumbnail

thalis are inviting.Let;s wait for everyone.feeling sleepy shabbo.see you early morning tomo..

happy pongal.,once more..

yes, i have 'real' food to cook too๐Ÿ˜†..so bye dear will pm our pals in the meanwhile sis will be coming anyways
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Makar Sankranti, Pongal and Lohri to my friends and their families...

Til gud ghyaa ani gud gud bola.....

vidya0906 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sankranti with Vidya
What a rocking start to 2009!
Vidya Balan (TOI Photo) More Pics

Three festivals on one day in the first fortnight of the first month of the new year. Mumbai, being the melting pot of all cultures and the home of people from all across India, celebrates every festival. So, while in the South Indian pockets of Matunga and Chembur it is Pongal, the Tamil New Year; in Punjabi homes here, there and everywhere it is Lohri-Maghi, the North Indian festival of the winter harvest; and, in every Maharashtrian home, it is Makar Sankranti, when the Sun God begins his ascendency and enters the northern hemisphere, an auspicious day for all Hindus.
On Pongal, the pretty Tamil Brahmin (Tam-Bram) Vidya Balan may be shooting, but her day begins with prayers, a visit to the temple and by savouring some sweet made by her mother. "You pray that the entire year is spent in abundance. And this year more than ever before globally, considering the recession," says Vidya.

Festivals are not so much about rituals for her as much as it's about prayer and a time when you meet and greet relatives and friends. This morning the pretty actress visited the Sringeri Mutt temple near Diamond Garden in Chembur, where she lives. "Here we pray to Goddess Shardambal, the Goddess of Learning. As kids we would make it a point to vist this temple before our exams," she says. And the practice continues. "As grown-ups every day is a new challenge, a learning experience. I believe experience is a unique teacher; it gives you the test first, lesson later," she smiles.