The (Un)Lucky Number 13

Posted: 15 years ago

Hi Friends,

Well, there are plenty of people who consider the number 13 unlucky.  Even the ones who don't consider themselves superstitious at times avoid having anything to do with number 13.  Here are some facts about it.

The number 13

It is believed that the fear for the number 13 stems from primitive man being unable to count past 12. Numbers beyond 12 do now have an individual and independent name but are a combination of the first 12 numbers. With 12 being the end of the line, 13 was moving into unknown territory.

In Norse mythology the 13th number led to the death of Baldur, the beloved of the gods. When the 12 gods gathered for a banquet in Valhalla, Loki gatecrashed the party, increasing the number to 13, which led to the death of Baldur. It also happens that in Tarot cards, 13 is called "Death."

The baker's dozen

The "unlucky 13" is the reason why the thirteen loaves that bakers once supplied were never called by the number, but described as "a baker's dozen." The thirteenth loaf was regarded as a special bribe for the devil not to spoil the sale or the bread.

The lucky number 13

But 13 is not unlucky for all. The Mayas worshipped the 13 gods of the upper world. The Aztecs climbed 13 steps to their sacred places. Buddhists paid homage to 13 Buddhas. In Jewish faith, God revealed Himself by 13 attributes of bountiful mercy (Exodus 34: 6-7). The orthodox Jewish prayer book hold the Thirteen Principles of Faith. Jewish boys celebrate their Bar Mitzvah at age 13.

The number 13 in Greek is triskaideka and the fear of the number 13 is called triskaidekaphobia.

Source: didyouknow.org

So....

Do you believe that the Number 13 is Lucky or unlucky?

Or is it just like any other number?

Have you truly never been bothered by 13?

Do you know people who believe 13 is unlucky?

Why do you think people believe in such things even today?

-Mahi

Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago
mahi great post dear yepp many ppl consider 13 as unlucky no i will come up wid my views soon
Originally posted by shijhu

mahi great post dear yepp many ppl consider 13 as unlucky no i will come up wid my views soon

Thanks Jhumi Di (I hope it's ok if I call you Di 😳)!

I thought my Mom is not so supersititious but she also believes that number 13 is unlucky 😳.

I remember once we had a car and it's number plate was with the number 13.  After a week or so that we had bought, it met with an accident.  And my grandma was like it's because of 13.  I was like well other cars do get into accidents as well? 😛 But she made my uncle change the number.  I guess since it's there we tend to related more and more wrong things with this number and notice them more even though same wrong things happen even without the number.

-Mahi

Originally posted by -Mystery-

Thanks Jhumi Di (I hope it's ok if I call you Di 😳)!

I thought my Mom is not so supersititious but she also believes that number 13 is unlucky 😳.

I remember once we had a car and it's number plate was with the number 13.  After a week or so that we had bought, it met with an accident.  And my grandma was like it's because of 13.  I was like well other cars do get into accidents as well? 😛 But she made my uncle change the number.  I guess since it's there we tend to related more and more wrong things with this number and notice them more even though same wrong things happen even without the number.

-Mahi

its perfectly fine mahi am very comfy wid di
yeah ppl r sperstitious when danumber is 13 at times my parents live in an appartment n they dont have a flat wid no 13 u know after 12 they have 14 😆 once a guy came searching for his girlfrd in flat no 13 n bechare ki jo haalat wahan ke logon ne ki 😳
i dont think so that a 13 no is unlucky..............
         Let me tell u that 13 no has rocked the world and also  made the world a hell place to live in.
       1.  On 13th May , one Man born named as Osama Bin Laden born.
         He made the world a hell to live in.
       2.   There are many good occasions were no 13 has given the world a best place.deals and life.
Very nice topic Mahi........ i don't feel number 13 in unlucky or lucky..... i mean for me its jst a number as others....... yeah heard a lot abt unlucky number 13 bt i don't believe that this number is unlucky......

i dont think 13 is lucky or unlucky number ....its like other numbers 4 me...i hav really never been bothered by da number 13.....yes i know people who believe that number 13 is unlucky.......i think da people who believe that number 13 is lucky or unlucky r superstitious

i dont believe in luck....i think that we r da people who do thing and get tha result 4 that......and if we dont get the proper result 4 it we name it as unlucky
nice thread Mahi!
waisey i don'think 13 is unlucky...
but the combination of friday and 13 can be considered unlucky..

YOu know |Friday the 13th!!
and last friday it was Fri the 13th....
i discovered that i'm superstitious abt that..

i was driving my car..and suddenly a kaali billi crossed the road...and guess what i did..??
i instantly make a U-turn and took another route to work!! lolzz..
u never know with kaali billis and esp in Fri teh 13th!! haha

probably it might be unlucky cuz dats when i saw friday the 13th and i was really freaked out!

For some people, 13 is unlucky. But I know people who consider it as their lucky number 😉
Edited by stingray - 15 years ago