Ramayan

Doubts and Discussions from the Ramayan

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Hi!

We all may have doubts on the Ramayan or may get doubts as we learn more and more.

I thought instead of posting the doubts and discussions randomly in other threads, we can discuss it here. It was getting too hard to keep track of all the replies from all the different threads.

What do you say, friends?

If this is a good idea, we can start discussing here.
Edited by akhl - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_rajnish_ thumbnail
agree with u vibhision ji its nice idea... you can change ur title to "post your doubt on epic Ramayan here" if you wish, great job👏
Vibhishna thumbnail
Originally posted by: rajnish_here

agree with u vibhision ji its nice idea... you can change ur title to "post your doubt on epic Ramayan here" if you wish, great job👏

I'll change the tilte. I couldn't come up with a better one. (Sorry if it seemed like stealing your title). I'll change it soon.
chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
hehe good idea vibs

i myself is no gyaani know stories from here there

so its better to ans here rather than any random threads

_rajnish_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vibhishna

I'll change the tilte. I couldn't come up with a better one. (Sorry if it seemed like stealing your title). I'll change it soon.

hey why u r asking sorry😕, btw nice title. I will begin first😛
In which version ahiravan and mahiravan story is thr?😃
Vibhishna thumbnail
I'm afraid my knowledge in insufficient to answer that question.

I don't think Ahi or Mahi story comes in the Valmiki or Tulsidas Ramayan. I don't think it is there in the Kambaramayan as well and I'm not sure about Raghuvamsa (but I think it is not in that book either). This discussion had already come up in an another thread but we were merely discussing what was shown in the episodes regarding this story. I was totally new to the story of Ahi and Mahi together (the stories I've read about it just had either Ahi or Mahi - just the name was different but the character was the same) and Chandrasena.

My guess is that it might have come in in Krittivas Ramayan or in the Adhyatama Ramayan. I think I read somewhere that it is a part of Krittivas Ramayan. Chandra ji, can you enlighten me in this regard?

Also, I wanted to know the origin of Maharadwaj's story. There is a serious debate on how Hanuman could have had a son. I am familiar with the story of how he was born but I couldn't answer my friends when they asked me how come Hanuman could be called a Bramachari when he had a son. Not that I doubt Hanuman or his devotion (no one can). But I couldn't give a convincing answer to that question.

As for Maharadwaj's story, I just have a theory but not sure if it makes sense.
Edited by Vibhishna - 15 years ago
Khalrika thumbnail
Vibishna, I had a doubt. I know about Indra giving the chariot to Ramji for the final battle with Ravan. Was it okay for Ramji to accept a chariot because he was supposed to be a Vanavasi for 14 years without any kingly things? What is the explanation for that?
Vibhishna thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mandodari

Vibishna, I had a doubt. I know about Indra giving the chariot to Ramji for the final battle with Ravan. Was it okay for Ramji to accept a chariot because he was supposed to be a Vanavasi for 14 years without any kingly things? What is the explanation for that?

I'm trying to answer to the best of my ability. I had thought about it too. If Ram needed to be air borne, Hanuman could have done it. I think, the chariot was a necessity at that moment. Being a Vanvasi without kingly comforts -  Ram did not own the chariot - it was given for that one battle and not for Ram to own. So, I think it was alright for Ram to accept it.

Khalrika thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vibhishna

I'm trying to answer to the best of my ability. I had thought about it too. If Ram needed to be air borne, Hanuman could have done it. I think, the chariot was a necessity at that moment. Being a Vanvasi without kingly comforts -  Ram did not own the chariot - it was given for that one battle and not for Ram to own. So, I think it was alright for Ram to accept it.

The Sarathy sent by Devendra does say that the rath has extra divya baans. I guess that is why he was given the chariot. Also, the fight has to be among equals. Both Ram and Ravan are kings and they need to fight on an equal footing.

I had another question for you or for anyone else in the group who can answer this. Why is it being called agni pariksha when it is actually agni pravesha? Ram never asks her to jump into the fire. He just tells her that she is free to go to someone else for protection. She gets angry at the cruel words and asks Lakshma to start a fire. Of course, he dosen't stop her. So, isn't it agni pravesha and not pariksha? Anyone with more knowledge than me, please dispel my ignorance.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Mahiravan story was in Krittivas Ramayan (Bengali).  When I did my ICSE, we had a poem 'Mahiravan vadh' as part of the exam.  Note that the story there was completely different from what's shown in this serial, and is also well captured in the ACK titled Mahiravan.

Ahiravan or Chandrasena or Makardwaj, I had never heard of before this serial.

Mandodari's question - Rama was only forbidden from living in cities or villages, since Kaikeyi (like Duryodhan) didn't want him to develop an alternate power center.  However, there were no restrictions on him travelling in a chariot, and in fact, Dasharath wanted Sumantra to take Rama in it for the 14 years, and Kaikeyi had no objections.  So Rama accepting Indra's loan of a chariot  wasn't a violation.  And yes, it's there in Valmiki itself.