DOTW - Can You Love a Disabled Person?

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

Here's your friend Mahi bringing you the....

It's time for a new Discussion of the Week.  I was thinking about it since a long time, and hopefully we'll have a great discussion.

Can you or will you be able to love a disabled person?

I don't just mean severely disabled but even people with selective hearing... or blindness... Do you think you'll be able to love him/her and spend your entire life with them?

I know it sounds horrific to say that I can't love a disabled person.  After all it's not their fault.  They are as much as human beings as we are.  But be truthful... Are you aware of the problems the disability might bring to your life?  Would your love be strong enough to support him/her?

Love is not supposed to come with any conditions, right?  So why do we want a perfect life partner?  A person can be physically disabled, but they have as much feelings as we do... Shouldn't love be liking somone for who they are instead of what they are physically?

Please don't take any offense.  This is strictly for disucssion and we have no intentions of hurting anyone.  How strong love should be, and how true love can overcome all hurdles is the idea behind this topic.

Mahi
Dev Team
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dream thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Heyy great topic Mahi!!
I think one should be mentally veryy strong to handle this kinda situation!..Though we see in films girls easily accept it.. & marry  a guy who is not mentally matured enough or is blind but it is really so tough to manage them! I don't have personal experience so can't say much..i don't know if i'll be able to do justice if i m with a person who is disabled because it's a huge responsibility i guess!..i believe love has some magical power & we can make everything possible with this power..
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Sure ,Why not...If love happen we cant categorize it.
  I don't just mean severely disabled but even people with selective hearing... or blindness... Do you think you'll be able to love him/her and spend your entire life with them?
Love cant change......cos normal person bi disable ho sakta hey...that time did u stop loving that person??!! No na same...Physical Disableness not effect the mind.😊

I know it sounds horrific to say that I can't love a disabled person.  After all it's not their fault.  They are as much as human beings as we are.  But be truthful... Are you aware of the problems the disability might bring to your life?  Would your love be strong enough to support him/her?
I know one of my friend...he fall in love with a blind girl n got married...n they living happily...may be his enjoyment to helping n supporting her life,but i know its not sympathy.

Love is not supposed to come with any conditions, right?  So why do we want a perfect life partner?  A person can be physically disabled, but they have as much feelings as we do... Shouldn't love be liking somone for who they are instead of what they are physically?

I Believe NOBODY is perfect...I think a persons beauty depend upon their behavior n attitude n charecter, and Physicaly attraction, its natural...bt its not stable!😊If we are mentaly happy with a person...then everything work out.😊

Just chill

Vinu Nair
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
you can love anyone, it just depends on how tough you are to handle life with the person
ILuvPrachiDesai thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i have no experiance, but i think i can love a disabled person, after all they're human being just like us
kal-el thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
if you cant then what would you do if you fell in love with someone who became disabled after you got married would you leave them?
Anam_naan thumbnail
its quite easy to say yes we can bt believe me its nt dat easy...frankly...i believe a lot in love...bt may be i would nt develop a love feeling for him...as ma bf...as a frend afcourse yes bt bt bt..god forbide..if i already have a bf nd again god forbide if any such thing happens..den definately i wont stop loving him...coz i love his heart nt physical apperance...after i get into a relationship nd den if any such thing happens den it dosent matters to me...bt may be m nt sure bt i will nt fall in love with a disabled man...nd quite possible k may be i do get fall in love with a disable man...bt i m nt sure....love ho jata hai kiya nai jata so depends....i m nt sure....
rose82 thumbnail

plain answer...no.i dont think i can look upto a person if he is disabled.its very important that i look upto him.Its another matter if the person i love becomes disabled...coz once u love a person,u love him unconditionally.also another situation could be if i know the person very very well...and he's extremely kind hearted.or else,its too complicated for a person to marry a disabled one.its emotional draining for both.that person might constantly think that we are sympathising and so.i have seen many handicapped people wanting a similar partner.only they can understand each other.

totally  my opinion...i might be wrong...but its the reality!
xsweetbabygyalx thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

Honestly, I don't know because love happens out of nowhere and to anyone.

I already am in a relationship but I think it really depends on the personality of the person, not just the looks. If I was to fall in love with a disabled person even physically disabled, I think I might be able to live with him.

I actually live with a few disabled people in my life who are my very close family members and believe me it's not easy taking care of 2 disabled adults but I don't care of the problems I have to face but I wouldn't want them to face any problems where they will get depressed. Talking in a relationship sense, Just as Believe said, even a normal person can become disabled. I have personal experience where my mom was normal but due to a tragic accident, she can't do the things she once used to. If GOD forbid my boyfriend ever becomes disabled, I wouldn't leave him ever. I would provide support if I had a disabled boyfriend if i had to leave the house and leave him home alone especially me leaving for work but I would continue supporting him on my days off without complaining. I would probably have to sacrifice my dreams but I don't think it would bother me much especially since I already did just for my mum and boyfriend.

Exactly, Love isn't meant to be being selfish. It's meant to sacrifice and support one another no matter what. I think people who want a perfect life partner have a lot of expectations. From my own personal experience, Yes whether the person is physically or mentally disabled, they have the same feelings we do. It is very sad that people these days are so selfish and barely want to marry a person who's slightly physically challenged but has a child who's mentally challenged. They just fear that the physically challenged person can't do the same exact things a normal person can. It's a shame that people can't accept a life partner or a soul mate who once was normal but due to an accident became physically disabled. Yes love should be like loving someone for who they are deep inside, not physically.

Mahi
Dev Team

.Jiya. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Get Topic ..
erm.. i think i can and cant :S, as i have experience from before (my cousin who was really close to my heart) its kinda hard though, you get attached to them quite quick.
love is love ; dont matter if they are disabled still human beings and i find them so innocent as well! 😊but then again , if i had to live my life with them i dont think i would be able to spend my whole life with them , because everyone needs a parthner that can help you out in life . x

Edited by Jiya4eijaz - 15 years ago