My Food Obession

Sati thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Namaskaram,

I have suddenly gone fibre crazy, hence started taking oats. Inspite of living 5 long years away from India, I still have my craving for food that are rich in oil and spice. What to do Control Nahi hota !. Hence I started experiment canadian food with Indian twist 😆. Warning sometimes these experiment can be disastrous. My hubby would agree...😉😛. Here is my first series contains Oats as main incredient.

This was my first exposure to this wonderful grain. My chithi who lives in Chicago introduced to me. Here is the recipe.

Oats Kanji/Kuzu

Ingredients

Quick Oats                                                                                1 cup

Water                                      (thanni)                                       Enough to cover it

Yogurt                                     (thyru)                                        1/2 cup

Mustard                                   (kadugu)                                    1tsp

Cumin                                      (jeeragam)                                 1 tsp

Urad                                        (ulutham parupu)                        1tsp

Asefodita                                 (Payrungayam)                          1 pinch

Curry leaves                            (karuvaypalai)                              few leaves

Dried Yougurt chilli                   (more molaga)                            1( if you like spicy add more)

Salt                                         (uppu)                                       To taste

Oil                                           (yennai)                                    1tsp       

Procedure

1.    Take a pan, add oil, add mustard, Asefodita and curry leaves

2.     Once mustard starts sputtering, add Jeera and Ulutham parupu

3.     Once the Urad dal becomes brown pinkish colour, add the chilli

4.     Add oats, salt and water  and let it cook ( it takes 2-3 minutes) to cook. Adjust the water accordingly.

5.     Once the oats is cooked, switch off the stove take off from the heat and add Yogurt to it.

It tastes like Payrumal kovil thairsadham. Its yummy and full of fibre as it is oats. Enjoy and let me know your comments

If you have any good recipes for oats please post it here..

Note for Avai, Since I am on cooking spree and its healthy ( not liked by you) recipes I thought will post it here. If you want to merge it let me know
Edited by Sati - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

eljay thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Welcome to this forum, Sati!  I have not met you before, but it sounds like you too are grappling with this weighty issue!  I know someone here who lost over 15 pounds by just going on an oats diet, so it may well be worth a try.  I bought oats last month as part of my New Year resolution, but ... it is still languishing in my pantry.  This friend had oats kanji for breakfast, oats with sambar and rasam for lunch, and oats with dal and sabji for dinner.  Let me see, I have a recipe for oats paratha, I will try and fish it out and post it.  Then you and I can start trying to lose weight together.  Are you game?  I will probably make your version of kanji on Monday and I will let you know the results.
Sati thumbnail
Hey eljay,

Yes more than Weight loss, I am in a journey to eat the right food. Miraclously even If i loose weight, you have to eat the right things. to maintian it 

We dont eat much fibre, so Oats romba romba nalladhu.. If possible buy steel cut oats... its the best. I am in the game for oats diet. Lets start as early as possible :).

Let me know when you start. Its better to post our food chart for the day. So that we wont cheat

Sati

P.S Avaiyaa, I might even make Oats pizza :)
Caryn thumbnail
Hi Sati

Thanks for the recipe.  I usually have oats in the office but not at home.  I don't like milk.   I take instant oats.  I boil the water, add 4tbs of oats and cook.  Then I add yoghurt and salt and take it instantly.  Sometimes if I have time, I bring pickles to the office and have it with it or sometimes I have with fruits like strawberries and apples.

If yoghurt not available, I have with hot water and salt.  Then I get some veggie and chicken from food court and have it with it.  😃
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I don't like oats - until my English mum (a close friend who is like a mother to me) made me oats for brekkie during the cold winter days, Oats, hot milk, honey and banana. So nutritious.

Now I feel like having oats. 🤓
Caryn thumbnail
Originally posted by: Karthikka

I don't like oats - until my English mum (a close friend who is like a mother to me) made me oats for brekkie during the cold winter days, Oats, hot milk, honey and banana. So nutritious.

Now I feel like having oats. 🤓

A friend told me sprinkle cinnamon, and it is heavenly. 😊
eljay thumbnail
Well, I made oats for breakfast, cooked in hot water and added milk to it.  Then of course, I had a cup of coffee.  Lunch was rice with sambar, radish keerai koottu, and rasam.  For dinner, I made oats Kanji with Sati's recipe, big bowl of salad and sprouted moong misal.  My husband and dad also had two slices of bread, but I passed on the bread.  I feel good, no, great, so far about this diet.  How did you all fare today, my fellow travelers on this journey?
Caryn thumbnail

My early morning drink today was smoothie.  I had some strawberries, cooked oats, lowfat yoghurt, a pinch of salt blended together with ice.  A few slices of raisin-sunflower seed bread and an apple.

Last night dinner was veg meals.  There must be lots of calories on it. 😛 coz a bit of koothupratha, a bit of aloo gobi, a bit of mushroom rice, a bit of this and that. 

Today veg, so have to think what's for lunch.

Eljay, there was once they showed how to make oats uppuma.  They put in chopped beans and carrots, onions, etc. The nutrionist cooked the same way your mum cooks the rava uppuma.  She dried toast the oats, then added little water, and she sprinkled water as she went along to get the right consistency of the oats uppumma.  I tried at home, but it was very dry.  Although my mum said she liked it alot.
eljay thumbnail
Caryn, I just looked up some recipes for oats upma.  They said to use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of oats, and the rest was just the way you said - dry roast the oats for 2 minutes, and then make upma the normal way.  I think I will try and do that today and let you all know how it turns out. 

My only problem was hunger pangs in the middle of the night!  I was dying to come to the kitchen and have some toast, but I forced myself to stay in bed and out of trouble.  Tonight I think I will have some fruit and milk before going to bed and see if it helps.
Sati thumbnail
Hey guys,
     Yesterday I was patni... ( not vaimodadha) but was fasting. I had a orange juice.. I made oats dosai for dinner :). It was awesome. I had it with vengaya chutney. If you are interested in the recipe let me know.

Today so far water. I am so dehydrated i keep craving for water. I am gonna make oats thakali ( thakali sadham) tonight. Will let you know the results. I am so happy both caryn and eljay have joined me in my oats obsession :)

Sati

Eljay :Is it sugar craving or carb kraving ?