Book of the Fortnight - A Child Called It

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

I hope all of you are doing well!! After a short break, we are back with the...

I had asked for suggestions for the next book and thank you to all of you for sending me your suggestions! You guys rock!

The first suggestion I received was from Shelly (Shellytt) and she has suggested A Child Called It by
Dave Pelzer

First off, I'd like to thank you all for sharing your views on "Night"! I really appreciate that you all read it with me and we all had a great discussion!

I hope this book will generate the same kind of resopnse too and that all of us will read it together and enjoy it!

So grab your favorite cup of coffee and get going!

This a Discussion/Comments thread for "A Child Called It."  While you're reading it, put down your comments, questions, favorite quotes, and any discussions you want to take place.

Please don't wait till you finish the book, but do put down your initial thoughts and the thoughts while you're reading it.

I'll share some information about the book in advance.  A Child Called It is an autobiography by Dave Pelzer.  This is a story of the maltreatment he faced from his alcoholic mother, who always used him as a target of her abuse.

We hope you will enjoy the book and the discussion!  

I have received two other suggestions:

_LalithaJanaki_   - The Age of Shiva by Manil Suri

Chander992 -  Poison Ink by Christopher Golden

And I will put these up in order as I received them.  Thanks once again for sending us your suggestions! We really really appreciate it!

Mahi
Dev. Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thanks Mahi, for using my suggestion. I'll come back soon with some more detailed thoughts on the book, I have to brace myself to read it again!

Its truly sad to know what horrors befall children, inflicted by knowing adults!

whatsername thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I really have alot of mixed feelings about this book.
As much as i would like to belevie this was jsut work of friction - it isn't. Its all true and its probably still happening to child  as i write somewhere in the world's corner.

It was so harsh , hardbreaking and made u wanna cry at timess..

The style of wriiting was really simple , i am not the biggest fan of it . but i think its the content thats made this book so popularr

I always wanted to know why his mother behaved that way , but he never told us ..... Or may be he didn't know it himselff

The book got sequels Dave Pelzer also wrote "The Lost Boy", "The Privilege of Youth" and "A Man Called Dave"  .. bt i hvn't read anyy

His brother Richard  also wrote  "A Brother's Journey" about the abuse he suffered once Dave was gone.

Over all.. Good Book , Remained in my heart forever ...
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sunita182

I really have alot of mixed feelings about this book.
As much as i would like to belevie this was jsut work of friction - it isn't. Its all true and its probably still happening to child  as i write somewhere in the world's corner.

It was so harsh , hardbreaking and made u wanna cry at timess..

The style of wriiting was really simple , i am not the biggest fan of it . but i think its the content thats made this book so popularr

I always wanted to know why his mother behaved that way , but he never told us ..... Or may be he didn't know it himselff

The book got sequels Dave Pelzer also wrote "The Lost Boy", "The Privilege of Youth" and "A Man Called Dave"  .. bt i hvn't read anyy

His brother Richard  also wrote  "A Brother's Journey" about the abuse he suffered once Dave was gone.

Over all.. Good Book , Remained in my heart forever ...

I think that the simplistic writing style and language was done on purpose, as it was supposed to be illustrated from a young child's point of view.
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This book was so extremely heart-breaking.... I teared up at the end of it... when I read the last three words of the book.... "I am free." It's hard to imagine how someone could be so cruel but apparently it's all true.... I really have no idea how to express in words how I feel about this book... but let me just say that it'll remain in my heart forever....
eternal thumbnail
Oh my! what to say. Being a person who cant stand abuse of younger children, or hearing a child died because of abuse, just crushes my heart, so when i read this book i knew it was on abuse but the gruesome images captivated by dave in this book were just heartbreaking. it was so hard to read the book without feeling sympathetic towards him for having gone through such a terrible past. i remember 5 years ago when i read this book, i cried. i just couldnt take the pain a mother could enforce on her child. until i had read this book i had in a way believed mothers would always protect their child, she would never hit them at all but this book changed my views of the world and how others care for one another....it showed there is always two ends to a mothers behavior, some love their children and others dont...unfortunately for david he was a target of abuse ...

but on the brighter side im happy for him today, today he is an older man with a family that loves him and respects him....perhaps his past has given him greater reason to be a the father that he didnt have around as much...and to love his children greater than anyone...

love always
sukhi :)
Edited by ..sukhi.. - 15 years ago
-Ami- thumbnail
Oh! I read this book a few years back. And I swear, it was totally too sad for me! I found it just too sad for that little kids who had to go through so much without even knowning what he was doing wrong!

I own the book but I haven't ever gotten a chance to go back and read it.  After reading A Child Called It, I did go onto reading the sequel of it, The Lost Boy. That one was equally as good to waht I found.

This was one book that I had just begged my mom to get me. My friend had recommended it to me, and then when I was reading it, my English teacher also had told me that it was indeed a very good, but sad book. I'm glad that I had read the book.
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Thank you so much for the amazing discussion!

The New Book of the Fortnight is up, but you may continue the discussion of this book.

-Mahi