Dimi: I won't risk my life in India

Vickrant thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Dimi: I won't risk my life in India

4:51pm Thursday 5th March 2009

Hampshire captain Dimi Mascarenhas will play in the Indian Premier League next month – unless told otherwise.

The terrorist attacks in Pakistan have increased security fears in India ahead of the second IPL season, which begins on April 10.

Mascarenhas is one of six England internationals signed up by IPL franchises - but the only one due to play for the duration of the seven-week tournament.

The all-rounder, who flew to the Caribbean today for England's one-day series against the West Indies, will be playing for the IPL champions, Shane Warne's Rajasthan Royals, until the end of May.

He will be joined in the IPL by five centrally-contracted England players - Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara - who have been given a three-week window by the ECB allowing them to take part.

Events in Lahore have cast doubt over the English players' involvement, especially as India's security forces will be stretched to the limit during the IPL, as the competition clashes with the country's four-week parliamentary elections (April 16 - May 13).

IPL chairman Lalit Modi has said the competition will go ahead, but Mascarenhas, who is not contracted by the ECB, admitted: "If guarantees can't be met I won't be risking my life to play cricket.

"It's a pretty serious situation and we're all going to have to wait and see what comes of it.

"If the ECB find it unsafe I'd be pretty silly not to follow that sort of lead.

"If everyone starts pulling out I will jump on that bandwagon for sure.

"At the moment I'm still going but we have to wait for assurances that security will be up to scratch.

"At least being with England will mean I should hear what's going on - and I'll obviously be in contact with Warney and the owner of the Rajasthan Royals."

Meanwhile, Mascarenhas is a step closer to playing Champions League cricket in October after winning New Zealand's State Twenty20 competition with the Otago Volts last week.

He was due to play for Rajasthan Royals in December's inaugural Champions League before it was cancelled following the Mumbai terrorist attacks.

Mascarenhas added: "Hopefully, New Zealand's Twenty20 winners will be invited but my first choice would be qualifying with Hampshire."

Article LINK

http://www.thisishampshire.net/sport/4178723.Dimi__I_won_t_risk_my_life_in_India/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vijay thumbnail
Well I feel its all about one's perception otherwise I dont see any country safe these days. England has also seen terrorist attacks in their Metro railway or whether its USA.

And untimely death doesnt comes just through terrorist attack it can be through an accident, local mafia or anything. And if your death is not written then how much anyone tries nothing will happen to you and the best example related to sports is Sri Lankan team surviving the terrorist attack in Lahore. And that is called Destiny. !!!

But then its one's take and sometimes we do have to think about family and their fears (totally understandable).

IMHO IPL is one of the BIGGEST cricketing event after world cup so if someone is ignoring it then they are going to miss a lot.

Cheers,
Vijay
Vidyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: vijay

Well I feel its all about one's perception otherwise I dont see any country safe these days. England has also seen terrorist attacks in their Metro railway or whether its USA.

And untimely death doesnt comes just through terrorist attack it can be through an accident, local mafia or anything. And if your death is not written then how much anyone tries nothing will happen to you and the best example related to sports is Sri Lankan team surviving the terrorist attack in Lahore. And that is called Destiny. !!!

But then its one's take and sometimes we do have to think about family and their fears (totally understandable).

IMHO IPL is one of the BIGGEST cricketing event after world cup so if someone is ignoring it then they are going to miss a lot.

Cheers,
Vijay

I totally agree !

Of course , Every single person  is scared of death , and for sure  doesn't want to risk his life .

Having said that , as you said,  no country is safe thesedays! May it be India , The US or The UK....if terror attcks are bound to happen, they'll ..

Its only in the Ekta serials that  100Deaths and 1000rebirths of the same person is written...it does not implicate in our life...not at all..

IMHO IPL  is worth participating indeed !!!!

I myself am not a cricket fan as such , but IPL and 20-20 are worth watching!😛

Hope to see all of them in action !!

Vidya😊

Edited by Vidyaa - 15 years ago