Dil Kya Chahta Hai

It's Africa calling for Gaurav

ambarinaaltaf thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
It's Africa calling for Gaurav
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   October 21, 2005

It's goodbye time from the small screen for actor Gaurav Chopra — albeit temporarily. He is packing his bags — "Wish I could take my home along," he says — for a new tryst in South Africa.

The actor, who leaves on Friday night, will be away from the Mumbai scene till February 2006. "That sounds like a really long time. I will miss Diwali, New Year; just about everything!"

His biggest dilemma at the moment is what to pack and what to leave behind.

Chopra, last seen as Raghuvir in Dil Kya Chahta Hai (Star One), weighed his options before taking up this assignment. "I know, as an actor, it will be a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. But I had to take this decision as this project is very fresh. I will look back on it with a sense of achievement."

Bhangra meets Zulu moves

Chopra will play the lead in a lavish stage musical, Bombay Crush, in Durban. Touted as the first locally produced West End-style spectacle, it is produced by the South Africa-based Video Vision Entertainment, which is also into production, distribution and live shows.

Produced by Anant Singh and written and directed by Junaid Ahmed, Bombay Crush is a typical Bollwood tale, infused with South African spirit. It is the story of two characters — one from India and the other from Durban — choreography is by Jay Pather, who will combine local Zulu dances with jazz, hip-hop and tap, along with Bollywood jhatkas.

Dancing actor

The offer for Bombay Crush came Chopra's way through actress Jayati Bhatia (Titli of Sinndoor — Tere Naam Ka and Gayatri of Kasautii Zindagi Kay) who had earlier participated in a Video Vision show.

"Jayati put me through to them as they were looking for the lead actor here. I went through the auditions; they wanted an actor who could dance, rather than a dancer who could act," he says.

Chopra, who made his acting debut with an international venture called Breakwater, will also be seen in the Sony adventure show, Paisa Bhari Ho Gaya. "I am looking at the big screen," he says, "but am wary of the kind of roles TV actors are offered. I was in talks for the Hollywood project, Partition, starring Irrfan Khan. Irrfan was down with jaundice, so I was supposed to play the role he is doing."

[email protected]

Gaurav facts

Began as a designer after passing out of the National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi. Was runner-up at the Grasim Mr India contest, 1999.

Did a modelling stint, followed by music videos.

Made his acting debut on the big screen with an international venture, Breakwater, shown at the MIP Festival in Cannes. Later he did a Tamil film starring Arjun and Simran.

On the small screen, he was seen as Abhay in Saara Akaash (Star Plus), Sandy in Lavanya (Zee), Prem in Piya Ka Ghar (Zee), Ballu in Ruby Duby Hub Dub (SaharaOne), Kabir in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa and Raghuvir in Dil Kya Chahta Hain (Star One).

Gaurav on Narayani

Gaurav Chopra and Narayani Shastri (Rhimjhim of Piya Ka Ghar) are always spotted together, but rumours about their on-off relationships abound.

"There is nothing like that. I am very close to Narayani and she is dear to me. At the moment, things are as it is. Anyway I will be away in Africa for a long period of time, so there will again be speculation on that front