Rant of the week#2: Amir Khan's comments @ SRK - Page 2

Posted: 15 years ago
I don't know if it's jealousy or what but seriously what does AK want to prove? That he's the King Khan? Sorry  I have to disagree.  I have not been the greatest fan of SRK although now I do like him a lot more than any of the other Khans, but the truth is the truth.  I am not denying that AK is a good actor but SRK is the best actor I have seen around in Bollywood in a while.  He puts his heart and soul into his characters and it's apparent when you watch his movies.  I loved him in RNBDJ and his DDLJ has completed 700 weeks in theatre.  So let's hear AK's comments on that..... Which one of his movies has done that?

Again, I have nothing against AK but I do like SRK a lot more than him.  I don't think that AK wanted to attack SRK.  If you read the whole article it's not as bad as it sounds. 

And AK has his own opinion.  So I don't have any problem with that.  If he thinks SRK is not the King Khan then that's his problem and his opinion and if a million other people think that SRK is the King Khan then it's their problem and their opinion.  In my case, I respect both.

And as far as SRK's fights with other actors like Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan are concerned, then a lot of it is media hype.  I mean seriously who really has time to go around and fight with every other person.  And as far as Salman is concerned, he fights with so many other people as well so if SRK is also on his list - big deal!

Long and short of it is that any such statements from AK or anyone don't lessen SRK's popularity and his worth.  He is one of the best actor and that's not shown only through the awards he has been given but also with the fact that he is the MOST popular person on earth even more popular than Brad and Tom Cruise.

-Mahi
Originally posted by -Mystery-

I don't know if it's jealousy or what but seriously what does AK want to prove? That he's the King Khan? Sorry  I have to disagree.  I have not been the greatest fan of SRK although now I do like him a lot more than any of the other Khans, but the truth is the truth.  I am not denying that AK is a good actor but SRK is the best actor I have seen around in Bollywood in a while.  He puts his heart and soul into his characters and it's apparent when you watch his movies.

You're calling youor own opinion as the truth. πŸ˜› And btw, every actor puts his heart and soul in his work. No one joins the industry to fail. Some of them may not be so good at acting but all of them do try their hardest. So,if you please can you name one actor who just does films for the sake of it and doesn't really care whether it succeeds or not.

I loved him in RNBDJ and his DDLJ has completed 700 weeks in theatre.  So let's hear AK's comments on that..... Which one of his movies has done that?

First of all there are many who thought RNBDJ was a crap movie. Secondly, let's not confuse between popularity and quality. Obviously DDLJ had a good performance from SRK - Kajol, but the film became popular more because of the entertainment factor provided by the whole script.
If you measure by that 700 weeks yeardstick then all movies have to be declared as crap compared to DDLJ. Do you really think that's the scenario??

Again, I have nothing against AK but I do like SRK a lot more than him.  I don't think that AK wanted to attack SRK.  If you read the whole article it's not as bad as it sounds.

Well reporters will always spice things up, that's what they get paid for. So, headlines doesn't represent even half the truth. 

And AK has his own opinion.  So I don't have any problem with that.  If he thinks SRK is not the King Khan then that's his problem and his opinion and if a million other people think that SRK is the King Khan then it's their problem and their opinion.  In my case, I respect both.

That makes sense.

And as far as SRK's fights with other actors like Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan are concerned, then a lot of it is media hype.  I mean seriously who really has time to go around and fight with every other person.  And as far as Salman is concerned, he fights with so many other people as well so if SRK is also on his list - big deal!

Ohh... actually people have a very short memory. They see and comment on things in front of them. A year down the line if SRK retaliates, everyone will be talking about how SRK is attacking Aamir Khan. Fact is SRK has done it on a no. of occassions and most of the times unprovoked. One I remember is around 2000 - 01, when Hrithik Roshan was just beginning to become popular. SRK commented something to the effect of that he has seen a lot of one film wonder or something (I don't remember the exact quote). Now, what did HR do to him??

Long and short of it is that any such statements from AK or anyone don't lessen SRK's popularity and his worth.  He is one of the best actor and that's not shown only through the awards he has been given but also with the fact that he is the MOST popular person on earth even more popular than Brad and Tom Cruise.

Obama is currently very popular in US. So, he is the greatest human being America ever produced. Osama is very popular among terrorists, so he is the best person in the world. Himesh Reshammiya is very popular, so he is the best singer at the moment. Rajneekanth is very popular in South India and Japan, so he is the best actor.
SRK is a great performer no doubt but his popularity is not an indication of anything except for the fact that he knows how to charm his audience and makes lots of money for that.
Well I saw this post and couldnt help but comment. I think Amir was wrong when in ranting about him but you know what..he is right. Who even gave Shahrukh Khan the title as King Khan. He just started to refer to himself as that..and I feel thats a bit conceded.
Okay , I'm a HUGE SRK fan , and at the same time , Aamir Khan is  my second most favourite actor....so its obvious I'm slightly partial towards SRK but I'll *try* to look at the thing from an impartial POV . TRY , I said ; )

Well , I think BOTH of them should stop doing this . Just as Aamir Khan takes digs as SRK , SRK does the same . I can cite numerous examples of this , such as :

AK [ on his blog] : "I'm sitting in my bungalow in Panchgani , and Shah Rukh is licking my feet "

SRK [ in a Hindustan Times interview ] : "I would have named my pets after Aamir too , but they vehemently refused "

Now WHAT do you mean by this kind of exchange ???🀒
---------------

What I mean is , this sort of public bashing through the media is unbecoming to both . I'm not getting into the fact about who's a better actor than whom , I think Aamir Khan is the better actor by far , but if I have to choose between them as human beings , I'll choose SRK any day .But thats purely my opinion .

OK , I went off-track , but I do think BOTH of them should stop this public mud slinging . For heavens , you two are both 40+ , are amongst the most senior actors in B'wood today - experience,films,exposure,endorsements,accolades,fans- you name it , the two are on an equal level ! There are millions of youngsters all over the world and in India of course who idolise both of you , so why would you be bent on ruining your images ? I thought they were friends , even if they arent NOW , there's no need to take it public .

So , the bottom line for me : Watch BOTH of them in their movies and ENJOY their movies too : ) On a personal level , their media war doesnt affect us : D As long as they keep making movies , it ought to be all right for us = ) = )

PS - I ALSO think this thing has been stretched toooo far . If we , as their fans , stop paying attention to it , the media will [hopefully] stop bouncing this around as well . And I earnestly hope that that will be the end of this whole Khan vs Khan thing .

Edited by CeruleanSky - 15 years ago
 I think both of them do this , and it is very very common in the film industry . Aamir is an intense actor and SRK , a very succesful entertainer , and there may be varied subjective opinions about who is the better one , but where they are on par is the petty jealousy platform . Both of them are the types who like to take digs at others with a sophisticated smile and while doing so , they betray their petty competitiveness and insecurities . As far as the King khan thing is concerned , one cannot really blame SRK for crowning himself . The media does have a hand in it . Media often coins such special phrases for certain actors ......The Big B for Amitabh , The First Family of Filmdom for the Kapoors , Bollywood for the Hindi Film industry , The Little Nymphet for Padmini Kolhapure [ long time Back ] ........the media purposefully does this . Hits come and go . Sometimes , SRK gives a smashing hit in league with Karan Johar , sometimes AAmir gives one like GHajni . Sometimes Hrithik or Akshay race ahead one particular year , while both SRK and Aamir do plainly okay .  SRK has often , to his credit , admitted in many interviews that he is an entertainer . And I must say , he does this job pretty well . Aamir , more in the Dilip Kumar category , focuses on one film or two a year and is definetely not just an entertainer but more in the mould of an intense actor . Being an entertainer is diffrent and being an intense actor is diffrent . In this sense , there really can be no comparison between the two . Aamir has made a mould of his own for himself with films like Lagaan , taare zameen par etc and will never be looked at as an entertainer even if he says so  now as his intensity has come across and made its mark on the public , who perk up whenever an Aamir khan movie is being released and wonder what he will be delivering next ? This is the public's special tribute to him as an intense actor . The same public flock to SRK's shows and movies and come back highly entertained with the dances , the candy floss dramas , and say paisa vasool .

So  why this insecurity and why these cheap digs ? Coz honestly , they do not befit both of them . What reason do they have to be insecure of each other ? They have both made a place for themselves in the film industry that cannot be usurped by the dozens of Friday arrivals that pour in today compared to yesteryears .

Just look at OM shanti Om . It is an outright common movie , made succesful by a variety of factors like Shahrukh's own pull , rigorous publicity campaigns , that song with many film actors roped in specially to draw the audiences ,......is there anything really very great about that movie ? It ran very well , but is it that great ?

Same about Ghajni . The very talented Asin , the hype that it was a big hit in the South , Aamir's extremely intense perfomance , careful publicity ..........Ghajni became a hit , but was the script that great ? There were many loopholes in the fim , the events were not shown in a convincing way , the drama could have definetely been intensified much more , and the main villain , Ghajni , was an ordinary actor who played a sidekick to villains in movies and not at all the Gabbar Singh kinda villain who pulled in crowds coz of his sheer persona  like Amjad did in Sholay .I mean c'mon , the film was named after the villain Ghajni , the least they cud have done was taken sumone new who wud have aroused our curiosity . If not new , sumone with a standing . The actual villain is rather a damp squib for a movie to be named after it....yet it became a super hit coz of Aamir's acting and the efforts he put on his body building . Asin helped , of course . So both SRK and Aamir r in the same boat . Very succesful , very lucky , and yes , unecessarily insecure .
Edited by koolsadhu1000 - 15 years ago
^ Well said!  I can't believe how fired up people get over this stuff. 
I disagree w/ you! SRK is soooo over-rated, come on get reallll. I'm not saying I'm a bigger fan of Aamir -- to me they're both equal but wth TZP was a HIT, like one of the best movies of '07! And you can't deny Ghajini was better then RNBDJ! Just because SRK is in a movie, all SRK fans are all 'omg this movie is sooo amazingg, it rocks...blah blah blah' he's losing his charm I dont even find some of his new movies all that 'great' like RNBDJ = over hyped... and Billu Barber omfg that was the boringest movie, EVER! Even if it had SRK in it -- so what? Just cuz he's in some movie doesn't gaurantee the movie is gonna be a big hit.

But I do think he's a good actor & everything... I love a lot of his movies like KKHH, KHNH, KANK, Veer Zara, etc. but stillll, saying saying' =P

Originally posted by CeruleanSky

Okay , I'm a HUGE SRK fan , and at the same time , Aamir Khan is  my second most favourite actor....so its obvious I'm slightly partial towards SRK but I'll *try* to look at the thing from an impartial POV . TRY , I said ; )

Well , I think BOTH of them should stop doing this . Just as Aamir Khan takes digs as SRK , SRK does the same . I can cite numerous examples of this , such as :

AK [ on his blog] : "I'm sitting in my bungalow in Panchgani , and Shah Rukh is licking my feet "

SRK [ in a Hindustan Times interview ] : "I would have named my pets after Aamir too , but they vehemently refused "

Now WHAT do you mean by this kind of exchange ???🀒
---------------

What I mean is , this sort of public bashing through the media is unbecoming to both . I'm not getting into the fact about who's a better actor than whom , I think Aamir Khan is the better actor by far , but if I have to choose between them as human beings , I'll choose SRK any day .But thats purely my opinion .

OK , I went off-track , but I do think BOTH of them should stop this public mud slinging . For heavens , you two are both 40+ , are amongst the most senior actors in B'wood today - experience,films,exposure,endorsements,accolades,fans- you name it , the two are on an equal level ! There are millions of youngsters all over the world and in India of course who idolise both of you , so why would you be bent on ruining your images ? I thought they were friends , even if they arent NOW , there's no need to take it public .

So , the bottom line for me : Watch BOTH of them in their movies and ENJOY their movies too : ) On a personal level , their media war doesnt affect us : D As long as they keep making movies , it ought to be all right for us = ) = )

PS - I ALSO think this thing has been stretched toooo far . If we , as their fans , stop paying attention to it , the media will [hopefully] stop bouncing this around as well . And I earnestly hope that that will be the end of this whole Khan vs Khan thing .

I agree! Very well said Shreya!
Nothing really! Aamirs on his second childhood ride and babies have no sense at all. So they speak watever and mostly crap. So thats all that Aamir is doing. CRAP! Hes a looser, an irritating person. I mean, he shud shut up now. But obv. every time his new film has to come, he needs SRK to divert attention to himself so this is nothing new :D Hes a plain "dog" // hahaha!! Yes, thats it! Thank you very muchh!! :)
Originally posted by shellytt

Hi all I've new to this forum, but the topic was too inticing not to voice an opinion.

I agree with the rant. Its time that actors (not just Aamir) put aside childish behaviours and start acting like the mature individuals that they profess to be. I will freely admit that I am an SRK fan. (And though It pains me to admit this, I'm not that young either to be blinded by looks and not qualityπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†) I also admit that AK is a very talented actor, however, AK off screen attitudes and statements make it very difficult for me to genuinely like him.

What attitude you may ask? Well for one, his seeming belief that he seems to be the one and only actor out there whose focus is on quality roles and not commercial success. His "media shyness" is viewed by me as just an arrogant and standoffish stance. His failure to attend award shows such as Filmfare because he doesn't belive in the institution. He seems to forget that these award shows are not there to fulfil your own egos but to show apprecication for your peers. You are not the only good actor out there AK!

The argument tht SRK may seem to be in the middle of alot of these debacles, just proves one thing, that when you are perceived as the best there will always be detractors wanted to bring you down, because you are in that position. Have you ever heard SRK being the first one to publicly instigate these fueds? If you have a problem with the man, the media is never the appropriate place to voice those issues. Be a man and speak face to face, don't be a coward and make veiled remarks to ridicule and undermine your opponent through a third party media, where you can always fall back and say I was misinterpreted when the tide of public opinion goes against you.

Now admit, that SRK has had his fair shar of comments against stars in the media, however (and correct me if I'm wrong) but he is rarely the one to instigate  this war of words. Ideally, he should let sleeping dogs lie and not retaliate, which I do believe is what he eventually does.

And lastly, awhile ago there seemed to be this big fued with Amitabh Bachan and SRK, however, I just looked at the Filmfare awards, and it seemed to me that in spite of the media war that seemed to be permeating between the two, SRK AND AB seemed pretty friendly , with SRK even publicly thanking AB for his support during his recent surgery.

Now that shows an individual who has his priorities in the right place. When was the last time your heard AK say thank you to someone, without having to be prompted to?

Please don't take offense anyone, this is just my opinion.

Good one! I never come to this forum but this topic is simply too tempting. so here's my take...im a srk fan so i maybe biased. aamir's digs at srk are uncalled for. i dont understand why target only srk and not anyone else. i dont recall srk taking digs at aamir in past. it defenitely is jealousy on aamir's part. actually it was always there but has now come to the surface after srk's recent spats with salman, akshay and the bachchans. aamir probably thinks the he can have the industry alienate him after all the spats. but he must'nt forget that unlike aamir srk has no filmi connections. he has come up due to hard work, intelligence and luck.
as for aamir...he is a good actor but sorry to say but not such a great human being. apart from cheating on reena for years he also has a love child from another woman. i hope he treats kiran better.
and the guy has plenty of double standards...not attending indian awards while lobbying for oscar! u cant have bigger double standards than that! and when his film fails to get a nomination he finds faults with slumdog millionaire.
as for his so called media shyness...it was simply media manipulativeness. as soon as a release is near u will find aamir embroiled in a controversy. sometimes its the narmada bachao andolan and sometimes its his brother being declared mentally unstable by the court and yet another time its his marriage. so get all the publicity for free! in comparision srk and others seem stupid paying for the publicity.
after all this i'd like to say that if u actually read aamir's comments that are not all that bad(the media spices up the heading). but my only grouse is why target only srk? as for srk many a times it seemed as if he was on the verge of losing it all....but he has risen every time. so watch out aamir!