Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: shellytt

Hi all I've new to this forum, but the topic was too inticing not to voice an opinion.

I agree with the rant. Its time that actors (not just Aamir) put aside childish behaviours and start acting like the mature individuals that they profess to be. I will freely admit that I am an SRK fan. (And though It pains me to admit this, I'm not that young either to be blinded by looks and not qualityπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†) I also admit that AK is a very talented actor, however, AK off screen attitudes and statements make it very difficult for me to genuinely like him.

What attitude you may ask? Well for one, his seeming belief that he seems to be the one and only actor out there whose focus is on quality roles and not commercial success. His "media shyness" is viewed by me as just an arrogant and standoffish stance. His failure to attend award shows such as Filmfare because he doesn't belive in the institution. He seems to forget that these award shows are not there to fulfil your own egos but to show apprecication for your peers. You are not the only good actor out there AK!

The argument tht SRK may seem to be in the middle of alot of these debacles, just proves one thing, that when you are perceived as the best there will always be detractors wanted to bring you down, because you are in that position. Have you ever heard SRK being the first one to publicly instigate these fueds? If you have a problem with the man, the media is never the appropriate place to voice those issues. Be a man and speak face to face, don't be a coward and make veiled remarks to ridicule and undermine your opponent through a third party media, where you can always fall back and say I was misinterpreted when the tide of public opinion goes against you.

Now admit, that SRK has had his fair shar of comments against stars in the media, however (and correct me if I'm wrong) but he is rarely the one to instigate  this war of words. Ideally, he should let sleeping dogs lie and not retaliate, which I do believe is what he eventually does.

And lastly, awhile ago there seemed to be this big fued with Amitabh Bachan and SRK, however, I just looked at the Filmfare awards, and it seemed to me that in spite of the media war that seemed to be permeating between the two, SRK AND AB seemed pretty friendly , with SRK even publicly thanking AB for his support during his recent surgery.

Now that shows an individual who has his priorities in the right place. When was the last time your heard AK say thank you to someone, without having to be prompted to?

Please don't take offense anyone, this is just my opinion.

Hi Shelly!! I totally agree with a whole lot of points you have made!!  Very well said!

-Mahi

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

Wow, this is getting wicked long.  Again the long and short of it is that we all are entitled to our opinions. Ultimately no one is going to succeed in doing anything but defending his/her own opinion.

So I'll stop here by just saying that above are my comments and my thoughts.  You might disagree and I respect it as much as I respect my own opinion.

-Mahi

Since you don't want to carry on any longer, just want to make myself clear, even I didn't exactly like Aamir's recent comments. πŸ˜› But I think SRK should also stop trying to put down others cos otherwise sooner or later someone is bound to retaliate. I know that doesn't make the other person right, but still it's like calling such remarks upon oneself. And if Aamir actually named his pet dog Shahrukh, then well I really think that's a very lowly act.

Btw... am not a fan of either one of them nor any other actor. And lastly it was nice sparring with you. πŸ˜ƒ
-Mystery- thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

Since you don't want to carry on any longer, just want to make myself clear, even I didn't exactly like Aamir's recent comments. πŸ˜› But I think SRK should also stop trying to put down others cos otherwise sooner or later someone is bound to retaliate. I know that doesn't make the other person right, but still it's like calling such remarks upon oneself. And if Aamir actually named his pet dog Shahrukh, then well I really think that's a very lowly act.

Btw... am not a fan of either one of them nor any other actor. And lastly it was nice sparring with you. πŸ˜ƒ

Of course I don't mind carrying on the discussion, the page was just getting too long, so if there is still some things I said and you want to comment on that, go right ahead.

Sure, definitely, we seem to agree on this thing for sure.  I also think that all actors need to focus on their work.  And I have always believed that in order to go up you don't need to pull everyone else down.  Just go up on your own and you'll be up there and stay there for longer.  I could be a bit partial to SRK since I like him more than AK.  But I do like to point out when he's wrong as well.  Just because I like him doesn't mean he's always right nor does it mean I should always defend him.

Sometimes when SRK says some things he doesn't quite say them in a way to undermine others.  Sometimes it's just a joke.  Like a lot of things he has said while hosting Filmfare and some other shows.  Some of those things should be taken in a good mood as humor as they are meant to be.  And if he has said some things in a proud way, then that's just doing himself harm.

As far as I know, Aamir has named his dog SRK. I may be wrong as the information I have is from my brother, but he told me that apparently Aamir had named his dog Shahrukh (I am not sure but he said he wrote that on his blog).  But my brother told me that SRK was being interviewed in some show and was asked to comment on that and he had said that his kids were a big fan of Aamir and after this, Aamir had come his home to apologize and said that he didn't mean it, but his kids don't like him anymore or something along the lines.  I was very upset with Aamir because that's such a cheap thing to do and I wasn't expecting any such thing from an educated person. 

Anyways, it was a great and healthy discussion and I enjoyed it too!

-Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago
SuhanaSafar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Mahi, Aamir didn't name the dog Shahrukh.  The dog belongs to the caretakers of his house, and they named it Shahrukh.  Aamir just talked about the situation in his blog in an insensitive manner.  I am a HUGE Aamir fan, but I have to admit that he should have been more tasteful about that.  But he later apologized and said in an interview that he meant it was a joke and didn't intend for it to be offensive.  So anyway, yes, that was a mistake on Aamir's part, but I think it's better to forgive and forget than dwell over such minor issues.

But I really don't think Aamir did anything wrong this time.  If he doesn't think Shahrukh deserves to be labeled as "King Khan", he's not the only one who feels that way.  I and many other Aamir fans think that Aamir is much more talented.  I also think that Saif is an amazing actor as he proved in Parineeta and Omkara.  There's no reason why Shahrukh should be put on a higher pedastal than the other Khans.  That being said, if SRK fans want to call him King Khan, they are free to do so.  Just don't expect everyone to agree that he deserves the title.

And about the Slumdog Millionaire comments...I really can't believe people are criticizing Aamir about that.  Everyone should be free to have their own opinions about movies.  Yes, the movie was very popular, but it had it's share of critics too.  Just because it won so many Oscars doesn't mean its critics don't know what they're talking about.  He even made a logical argument and explained what he didn't like about the movie.  I think it's very childish of people to assume that he's jealous.  He has no reason to be jealous.  Taare Zameen Par would have been in the Foreign Film category, so it wouldn't even have been in competition with Slumdog.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter...but ultimately, I think this "Khan war" is a total non-issue.  Why do we even care about what they say about each other?  We should just watch their films, appreciate their acting, and let them resolve their differences themselves...
-Mystery- thumbnail
Thanks for explaining that, Rabia.  As I said, I didn't know about the whole issue, but if his caretakers did name the dog Shahrukh then was it really necessary to talk about that in his blog? Even as a joke, it does seem really insensitive and childish.  Anyways, maybe he did not actually intend anything offensive. 

Anyway, yes, I do agree that King Khan is a very subjective title and the fans will give that title to their favorite Khan be it AK or SRK or any other Khan.  It really doesn't matter and King Khan could be SRK for me and AK for you.  So that's not a reason to argue about.  However, I do firmly believe that instead of issuing comments against each other, if they rather focus on who they are and what they can do, it would be much better.  Because such comments give a feeling of politics in Bollywood as mud slinging is almost always seen in political campaigns.  I just think that giving negative comments about each other in public is just not done.  If you have a problem with each other then sort it out amongst yourselves.  Such media statements make it seem like it was a publicity stunt and it makes the actors seem childish.  That goes not only for AK, but also for SRK and any other actors who issue any statements deriding each other.

And Aamir's statement in this case wasn't intended to ridicule SRK which is apparent after reading the whole article.  It was just his opinion and if he doesn't think that SRK is the King Khan then that's his opinion.  As I have said above, I totally respect everyone's opinions, and there is no point in forcing your opinion on others.

-Mahi

SuhanaSafar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
No problem Mahi...I can't say that I know for sure what Aamir's intentions were behind discussing the dog on his blog, but I think it might have been to point out the irony that the caretakers of HIS house happen to have a dog named Shahrukh.  Either way, it was a mistake, but his apology seemed sincere.

I completely respect your opinion.  Thanks for being rational about this...I was getting tired of hearing people call Aamir every name in the book over this.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  I've read interviews with actresses calling each other names...All Aamir did was say that he didn't think Shahrukh was ever on the "King Khan" pedestal. 
koolsadhu1000 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
[QUOTE=-Mystery-

And Aamir's statement in this case wasn't intended to ridicule SRK which is apparent after reading the whole article.  It was just his opinion and if he doesn't think that SRK is the King Khan then that's his opinion.  As I have said above, I totally respect everyone's opinions, and there is no point in forcing your opinion on others.

-Mahi

[/QUOTE]

No i don't agree only with this part of your very excellent defence of SRK . Aamir did mean to ridicule SRK , and anyone , even his ardent fans can detect it . He didn't just give his opinion , he rather jumped at the opportunity to ' give his opinion ' so that he could pull SRK down , even a child can sniff it . It is petty and he gave this opinion very pointedly . This thing has been going on for quite some time now .

I am not an SRK fan . I like Aamir's acting [ Im not his fan either , i just appreciate him bas .] But it is evident that Aamir does have an agenda against SRK . In my post , I didn't take sides and I still am not taking them as im not a fan of both .But facts r facts ..........he really doesn't speak innocently . He does make tongue in cheek comments on Shahrukh and yes , he does have a double standard attitude about awards . The dog thing..........whether his caretakers named it or him , did come from his side , and it is really rather disrespectful to mention such things in pulic about someone who has a standing in the industry and is a media figure . Again , purposefully saying in public that I never considered him King Khan etc is being purposefully vocal and pinching someone . This reflects very badly on Aamir who is such a fantastic actor and shows him as a jealous human being . It is not good for his image . People may get irritated if he puts his foot in his mouth once too often .

Sharukh , too , has his own insecurities and own faults but speaking strictttttly only about this Aamir Sharukh war , SRK retaliated most of the time , he didnt instigate it . In fact once , he took it rather sportingly [ I saw it on TV] and commented that if AAmir named the dog after him that is typically the sense of humor that he himself has and that he rather understands it and wud prefer not making a big deal of it . Now I am sure that had Amir or his caretakers named the dog Amitabh , MR B wd have not taken this so lightly . Not only this , the Salman KHan with whom AAmir goes around arm in Arm professing friendship and exchanging paintings , would not have perhaps taken it so sportingly if the dog was named Salman . Shahrukh really was rather maganimous about this .

I have seen SRK's insecurities too .........he aggressively campaigned for his Om Shanti Om and released it rather stubbornly on the very day Ranbir's debut Saawariya was being released and in his arrogant way defended himself by saying he plays to win and his priority is looking out for himself ..........not his exact words but words to this effect . Now Ranbir was just an upcoming boy and SRK a very big star .........and i remember feeling that time that this doesn't become SRK . But hey , its a cut throat industry so one shrugs . But in this Aamir SRK war , SRK really didn't instigate it. Aamir did .

When i see the Aamir SRK war , i remember a PHD friend of mine who once complained that IT  computer professionals get paid much more than they deserve , whereas they , who slogged for the PHD and are the ones with the doctorate , have relatively lesser salaries compared to their high degrees . I always remem ber this jealousy when I see Aamir's jealousy about SRK . It is his realisation that he is honestly a far better actor than SRk who because he is an entertainer , gets a bigger fan following . awards and higher payment . Everything that SRK does I can do too yet he is pampered by the media , but can SRK do what I can do ?? It is so bloody unfair !!! Is the unasked Superiority complex question that comes across in every tongue in cheek remark of his .

Of course this is purely my opinion , my perception of the feud . Like I said in my earlier post , they r all pretty much alike . But I often note nowdays that SRK has mellowed down and is maturing much more compared to his youth.........he was brash in his comments and more arrogant back then and made statements without thinking . Nowadays he really handles the media very well and yes his flippancy is still there , but he is mellowing .

One more thing and this I cannot resist . About the Slumdog millionaire not touching him..........I sniffed jealousy there too . Had Taare zameen par gone to the Oscars , Im sure this same AAmir who shunned Fimfare functions wud have gone there to take the accolades . Slumdog is controversial , some feel that they sold Indias poverty while some feel it is a cool film , but ALL agree that it does touch a chord . Who wouldn't feel , seeing the halat of the slum children depicted so effectively by a Westerner ? So this ' Fails to touch me ' is again a rather jealous , snooty statement from Aamir Khan . Just as the pathetic condition of the misunderstood boy in his Taare Zameen Par touches us viewers , Slumdog too touches . Instead of being so obviously jealous , Aamir should focus on the factor that stopped Taare Zameen Par from getting nominated  and make such a film in future that will indeed go to the Oscars minus that factor . Was it that Joker song ? Was it coz it wasnt in English ? Focus on that Aamir . You are just some steps away from that category !

And yes , all this is so unecessary .😊

Edited by koolsadhu1000 - 15 years ago
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: koolsadhu1000

[QUOTE=-Mystery-

-Mahi

No i don't agree only with this part of your very excellent defence of SRK . Aamir did mean to ridicule SRK , and anyone , even his ardent fans can detect it . He didn't just give his opinion , he rather jumped at the opportunity to ' give his opinion ' so that he could pull SRK down , even a child can sniff it . It is petty and he gave this opinion very pointedly . This thing has been going on for quite some time now .

I am not an SRK fan . I like Aamir's acting [ Im not his fan either , i just appreciate him bas .] But it is evident that Aamir does have an agenda against SRK . In my post , I didn't take sides and I still am not taking them as im not a fan of both .But facts r facts ..........he really doesn't speak innocently . He does make tongue in cheek comments on Shahrukh and yes , he does have a double standard attitude about awards . The dog thing..........whether his caretakers named it or him , did come from his side , and it is really rather disrespectful to mention such things in pulic about someone who has a standing in the industry and is a media figure . Again , purposefully saying in public that I never considered him King Khan etc is being purposefully vocal and pinching someone . This reflects very badly on Aamir who is such a fantastic actor and shows him as a jealous human being . It is not good for his image . People may get irritated if he puts his foot in his mouth once too often .

Sharukh , too , has his own insecurities and own faults but speaking strictttttly only about this Aamir Sharukh war , SRK retaliated most of the time , he didnt instigate it . In fact once , he took it rather sportingly [ I saw it on TV] and commented that if AAmir named the dog after him that is typically the sense of humor that he himself has and that he rather understands it and wud prefer not making a big deal of it . Now I am sure that had Amir or his caretakers named the dog Amitabh , MR B wd have not taken this so lightly . Not only this , the Salman KHan with whom AAmir goes around arm in Arm professing friendship and exchanging paintings , would not have perhaps taken it so sportingly if the dog was named Salman . Shahrukh really was rather maganimous about this .

I have seen SRK's insecurities too .........he aggressively campaigned for his Om Shanti Om and released it rather stubbornly on the very day Ranbir's debut Saawariya was being released and in his arrogant way defended himself by saying he plays to win and his priority is looking out for himself ..........not his exact words but words to this effect . Now Ranbir was just an upcoming boy and SRK a very big star .........and i remember feeling that time that this doesn't become SRK . But hey , its a cut throat industry so one shrugs . But in this Aamir SRK war , SRK really didn't instigate it. Aamir did .

When i see the Aamir SRK war , i remember a PHD friend of mine who once complained that IT  computer professionals get paid much more than they deserve , whereas they , who slogged for the PHD and are the ones with the doctorate , have relatively lesser salaries compared to their high degrees . I always remem ber this jealousy when I see Aamir's jealousy about SRK . It is his realisation that he is honestly a far better actor than SRk who because he is an entertainer , gets a bigger fan following . awards and higher payment . Everything that SRK does I can do too yet he is pampered by the media , but can SRK do what I can do ?? It is so bloody unfair !!! Is the unasked Superiority complex question that comes across in every tongue in cheek remark of his .

Of course this is purely my opinion , my perception of the feud . Like I said in my earlier post , they r all pretty much alike . But I often note nowdays that SRK has mellowed down and is maturing much more compared to his youth.........he was brash in his comments and more arrogant back then and made statements without thinking . Nowadays he really handles the media very well and yes his flippancy is still there , but he is mellowing .

One more thing and this I cannot resist . About the Slumdog millionaire not touching him..........I sniffed jealousy there too . Had Taare zameen par gone to the Oscars , Im sure this same AAmir who shunned Fimfare functions wud have gone there to take the accolades . Slumdog is controversial , some feel that they sold Indias poverty while some feel it is a cool film , but ALL agree that it does touch a chord . Who wouldn't feel , seeing the halat of the slum children depicted so effectively by a Westerner ? So this ' Fails to touch me ' is again a rather jealous , snooty statement from Aamir Khan . Just as the pathetic condition of the misunderstood boy in his Taare Zameen Par touches us viewers , Slumdog too touches . Instead of being so obviously jealous , Aamir should focus on the factor that stopped Taare Zameen Par from getting nominated  and make such a film in future that will indeed go to the Oscars minus that factor . Was it that Joker song ? Was it coz it wasnt in English ? Focus on that Aamir . You are just some steps away from that category !

And yes , all this is so unecessary .😊

Well said!!!!πŸ‘
-Mystery- thumbnail

But if you read the title, it seems like he purposely made the point of attacking SRK, but in this case he was asked about what he felt like being the 'New King Khan' and he gave his opinion.  But I do see what you saying because he could've simply commented on his feelings of being the King Khan instead of dragging in SRK.

Anyway, if it was AK's intentional attempt to ridicule SRK, then I can only say grow up.  I was really amazed about the whole dog thing and the least I was expecting from a Bollywood star.  Even if he didn't mean to ridicule SRK then it seems really insensitive of him to say such stuff in public.  And in these cases apologies don't matter much.  If I intentionally slap someone and then say sorry, it doesnt mean much.  So I will always hold that against AK.  And I would have been equally offended if he had said that about any other actor that I don't like because even though I am not the biggest SRK fan on planet, I do like him a lot more than AK.

But I completely agree  with a lot of points you have made especially about SRK handling the situation well.  I also think SRK has matured a lot in the past few years and that's why he truly is coming across as a true celebrity.  I think he mentioned it himself that he used to be very silly at the beginning of his career but he has calmed down a lot since a few years.

-Mahi
koolsadhu1000 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

But if you read the title, it seems like he purposely made the point of attacking SRK, but in this case he was asked about what he felt like being the 'New King Khan' and he gave his opinion.  But I do see what you saying because he could've simply commented on his feelings of being the King Khan instead of dragging in SRK.

Anyway, if it was AK's intentional attempt to ridicule SRK, then I can only say grow up.  I was really amazed about the whole dog thing and the least I was expecting from a Bollywood star.  Even if he didn't mean to ridicule SRK then it seems really insensitive of him to say such stuff in public.  And in these cases apologies don't matter much.  If I intentionally slap someone and then say sorry, it doesnt mean much.  So I will always hold that against AK.  And I would have been equally offended if he had said that about any other actor that I don't like because even though I am not the biggest SRK fan on planet, I do like him a lot more than AK.

But I completely agree  with a lot of points you have made especially about SRK handling the situation well.  I also think SRK has matured a lot in the past few years and that's why he truly is coming across as a true celebrity.  I think he mentioned it himself that he used to be very silly at the beginning of his career but he has calmed down a lot since a few years.

-Mahi

Yes . If one intentionally slaps someone and then says a tongue in cheek sorry , it is not apologising , it is simply another petty technique .
If one purposefully ' gives his opinion '  by saying I don't believe this actor is the greatest { SRK } but this actor is the greatest [ Amitabh] , it is  again , neither ' just giving an opinion '  nor ' genuinely praising the other actor ' .........it is again , another petty technique .

People r not stupid . They do understand when they see and hear such stuff ..........human nature is very much the same everywhere and even Kings and emperors r not immune to jealousies . Why would Aamir Khan be ? He is a human after all , however brilliant as an actor he may be.

Of course he has a full right to have an opinion about who rules the roost in Bollywood . He can opine that it is Amitabh , Dilip Kumar , Rajesh Khanna........anything. But who says that while giving your opinion about one you can dismiss someone else by dragging his name in it ? One can give his opinion tactfully enough too .

Who named Amitabh the Big B ? Those same people came up with a new phrase ' The King Khan ' .  Why hold this so much against Shahrukh ? The Kapoors r constantly hailed as the blue blooded First Family of Bollywood . There r so many other families too in Bollywood who have entertained the public with equal dedication ........what if they take offence and ask , why , haven't we entertained the public with equal dedication , why shud only the kapoors be blue blooded and what r we ...plain red blooded ? What can Shahrukh do if the media calls him King Khan ? Aamir's cold , superior stand towards the media doesn't exactly make him a media darling perhaps .........how can Shahrukh be blamed for that ? Salman too isn't exactly media friendly . Maybe thats the reason the media doesn't  hail these two as the King Khans , it is the media's way of hitting back . How can their lack of good PR be Shahrukh's fault ? Also . let us not forget that the media has its own purpose in giving these kind of phrases . It is not necessarily  in love with SRK , but it is a purposeful technique of pitting the three heroes against each other by stoking common human emotions like hidden jealousies .....if SRK is called the King , the other two will naturally bristle . An elated SRK will make good copy with his generous interviews then , and also the other two , with their cold , ' I Don't care ' interviews cloaked with ruffled egoes and jealousies . And once the battle starts , the media wins , wins and wins till the end . So is SRK to be blamed in this ?

What ' Slumdog fails to touch me ? ' Who is Aamir kidding ? Why , r u someone special ? Only a rock or stone can make that statement after seeing the miserable condition of the slumdwellers in that film . Yes , you can say u liked it or didn't like it that much ............but don't make statements like ' It fails to touch me '. What does it matter if a film is made in English or Hindi for it to touch the hearts of viewers ? What touches the hearts is the realism , not the language ! I am not talking about Jamaal winning the million ...........I am talking of the slum children surviving through those horrendous ordeals in that movie ...........of course those ordeals touch ! They touch to the extent that we say Ouch !! irrespective of the fact whether we have ever set foot in a slum in our lives before that ! This is not an opinion , it is a blunt fact . One can argue for hours if a Westerner came and sold India's poverty , one can even argue that other films deserved to be put ahead of Slumdog, but saying that it didnt touch as the children didn't speak in HIndi is hypocritical and ridiculous both . Realism doesn't need a particular medium of language only .........realism touches in any language .

Previous
1 2 3 4 5
Next