DOTW - Inappropriate Content in Books

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Here's your friend Mahi bringing you the....

It's time for a new Discussion of the Week.  I have been thinking about the sort of what we call 'inappropriate content in books.'  I don't mean use of profanities where it's not needed and all that but really sometimes there are some scenes described in almost all books that are a bit inappropriate especially for the younger kids.  Take "A Thousand Splendid Suns" for example.  There's a scene where the couple is consummating their marriage (Actually I think there are a couple scenes).  The scene is handled somewhat well but still there's details that younger kids shouldn't read about.  I was reading "The Eyes of Darkness," which also has a similar scene "Change of Heart" and "My Sister's Keeper" do as well.

So, do you think these scenes are needed? Especially in so much detail of the moments?

Should the parents keep a closer eye on what their kid is reading? Should younger kids (before teens or even early teens) read about all these scenes? Can they really handle the situation?

Should younger kids be only allowed to read 'Kid's books' so they don't read about the stuff that's not meant for them? But then some kids like to read stuff beyond butterflies and gardens, what should be done for that?

Enjoy discussing!  

Mahi
Dev Team
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago
So, do you think these scenes are needed? Especially in so much detail of the moments?
>>>> I think the writers always weigh their options before writing a love scene  in the books.  like the example you gave of a thousand splendid suns , . the scence was neeeded because it made us clear of why laila coudn't let go of tariq . because it was so special to her. plus i think the target audiece for tat book would be 17 and above .. so i think the scene was justified.. The details make the initmate moments even more beautiful and to be honest , people enjoy reading thouse scene.

But like some writers write in lovemakign scenes because they believe sex sells. and its truee.

Should the parents keep a closer eye on what their kid is reading? Should younger kids (before teens or even early teens) read about all these scenes? Can they really handle the situation?

>> Once i got into trouble because i was reading a book called '' the po*nographer's diary '' the book itself had nothing to do with po*n but jus the title. and my mother got all furious. So, firstly parents should defo keep an eye but not judge without knowing the real thing. if tat makes sense

Should younger kids be only allowed to read 'Kid's books' so they don't read about the stuff that's not meant for them? But then some kids like to read stuff beyond butterflies and gardens, what should be done for that?

** will edit**

I havent read that book, so I cant say anything about that, but no you shouldnt have too much detail unless it is important like when its happening tehy hear a sound they ignore and later find out it was a robber or somethingπŸ˜•, I think maybe they could lead upto it this way we know why this scene happens, and we can understand it if we're old enough if someone who shouldnt read it reads it they probably wont get the maturity of it.

Well I guess if they are going to read it they should be able to handle it. If it says Young Adult and a kid picks it up they are making the choice. Parents should understand that but if your child is extremly sensitive than maybe parents should keep a eye on them.

No, I think they should have the choice and not be stuck to a genre, if they read stuff not meant for them they'll probably not understand anyways, if they do that means tehyre probably ready for it. I think authors just shouldnt go too deep into a intimate scene unless its really meaningfull.

Sakshi
I think it all depends on the age group the book is for. For example, I think absolutely NO love scenes should be in a book dedicated to kids 15 and younger. A book can be an excellent read without love scenes, even if it's a romance book, and for kids and young teens, they shouldn't really be exposed to these love scenes until they're old enough to deal with it. Especially in today's society where teen pregnancies are becoming a common thing, sexual content in books should be strictly regulated.

Definitely parents should keep a close eye on what their kids are reading, because books influence childrens' minds more than we think so. And definitely, younger kids before teens and early teens should NEVER be allowed to read sexual content until they're past the age of 16 at least.

I know of lots of kids books that are not about "butterflies" and "gardens" and that don't have one bit of sexual content. I think "kid's books" is a bit broad, because lots of good books are deemed "children genre" and have a really meaningful content. For example, take Harry Potter for instance. It's actually aimed for kids, but there's lots of intricate detail in it that draws kids (and other age groups) in and at the same time has no sexual content at all. I don't think sexual content is needed to make a good book actually. I've read so many good books where the authors were not comfortable with adding sexual content, and they're really good, so if kids want to read something meaningful, there are lots of good books out there for them with no sexual content, so why not try those? 

I don't think it's necessarily needed...and I agree that there is some stuff that younger kids shouldn't read about.
Posted: 14 years ago
I LOVE the way JKR handles her books. There is no outright sexual humor or content BUT she doesn't ignore it altogether. She puts in some stances of hidden humor for the adults and does it very cleverly. To cite some examples, I will give the following dialogues:
"How d'you spell 'belligerent'?" said Ron, shaking his quill very hard while staring at his parchment. "It can't be B-U-M-"
"No, it isn't," said Hermione, pulling Ron's essay toward her. "And 'augury' doesn't begin O-R-G either. What kind of quill are you using?"
"It's one of Fred and George's Spell-Check ones... but I think the charm must be wearing off..."

So if Ron spelled 'augury' by staring it with the letters O-R-G, he must have written 'orgy'.πŸ˜†
Also, there is time when JKR similarly uses play of words when she makes Ron tell Lavender, "I saw Ur-anus up close". I have to say JKR hides humor well.πŸ˜†
Sorry, I went off-tangent with the discussion but I was stating that innapropriate content shoudl definitely not read by kids but if it's hidden as such I don't mind. Also, I agree with Lalitha that even a romance books need not necessarily have sexual content to make it good. There are tons of romance novels I have read that donot have it and some of them are my favourites.😊

Edited by redhotght - 14 years ago
Posted: 14 years ago
Brilliant Topic!😊

Very often Libraries and Bookstores have measures to prevent children having access to "inappropriate" books...I remember being allowed to take out books only from the young adult section when I was younger...it was only when I grew older that I ventured into other sections.

But most children have recieved their sex education before they've even hit puberty. The chances are they already know what is happening and we should trust them to make their own judgement...I know I have.

The writer should not have to alter their writing just for a particular audience and the audience should have the freedom to decide whether it is right for them or not.

I do however believe that Books with scenes of a graphic sexual nature, extreme violence and rape should be subject to Content Rating.