Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Thanks Sam1903, Lalitha Janaki, Ananya and Deepa. When I first heard the poem, I was lost into its beauty. It sounds so cute.

And Ananya, congrats on 1300 👏

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Vibs!!! 8 to go!!! You're almost there!!! Join us!!!!

One helpful way - participate in my poll😆

Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chandraketu

Vibs!!! 8 to go!!! You're almost there!!! Join us!!!!

One helpful way - participate in my poll😆

I never noticed that I was that close 😲

Thanks Chandraketu and will definitely participate in the poll.
Vibhishna thumbnail
Chandraketu, here's what you asked for. All the information I have about Kalki is this:

(The book I have is a translation of the Puranas in Tamil. The author had alternated between past tense and future tense while describing it. I have put it all in future tense.)

Seeing the state of the world and the state of Devaloka, the Devas were afraid and went to Lord Brahma and then all of them went to Lord Vishnu for help. Then Lord Vishnu told Lord Brahma that he will be born in the place by name Samballam (2 Ls for a deeper 'L' sound but not as deep as 'zh') to the couple Vishnuyashas and Sumathi and with his 3 brothers he will wipe away the sorrows created by Kali and reestablish Dharma. He also told the devas to incarnate as his relavtives (Bandhukkal - Bhandhu - not sure if this is Hindi).

He also said that Mahalakshmi will be born as the daughter of Bruhadhra and his chief queen Sollamuhi. She will be named Padma. Lord Vishnu said that he will marry the maiden Padma and later establish Maru and Devapi as rulers of the land and reestablish Dharma with its 4 legs in the world (as per the legends, Dharma stood on four legs - was supported on four legs) and then reach Vaikindha.

More coming up . . .
Vibhishna thumbnail
Lord Vishnu will be born to a Brahman couple - Vishnuyashas and Sumathi in the month of Vaikasi on a Shuklapaksh Dhuvadasi ( I think that comes somewhere Mid - May). The babe thus born will be named Kalki. Everyone will be happy on the ocasion of Kalki's birth. The Brahmans will be drowned in ecstacy.

Kalki will grow up and at the appropriate age take up the Upanaya ceremony and start his education (Gurukul). He will learn all the arts and get educated by Parasuram. When asked Parasuram for his Gurudakshina, Parasuram will say that he will be happy with what Kalki is going to accomplish. Henceforth, Yagnas, yagyas, Dhaan, Tapas should go on unhindered in the world. This will be his Gurudakshina. Parasuram will then send Kalki to a sacred place called 'Palvedha Kechuvaam' and ask him to do auterites there. Kalki will go to that place and do penance to please Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva will appear and give him boons - he can take any form he wishes, to go anywhere he wishes (he would be given a horse - not sure whether it is black or white), astras, shastras and a 1000 names. He will aslo be given a sword that has a gem studded hilt (one other intepretation is that the hilt glows as if it were a precious gem), a sword that is capable of reducing the weight pressing the Earth and has a light (tejas) of its own and very sharp.

Kalki will then reach Sambala on the horse. Vishakabhoopa, a king, will realise the greatness of the Avtaar of Lord Vishnu and become a good man. He will hasten to meet Kalki.

Then Kalki will install the Suryavanshi Maru and the Chandravanshi Devayi as kings and start the Krita Yuga and then arise as a flame to Vaikundha.

Some more coming up . . .
Vibhishna thumbnail
Kalki, the one who came to vanquish Kali will give happiness to all he knows and tell them the virtues of the Sadhadharma (the 4 dharmas of the Krita Yuga).

The parrot given to Kalki by Lord Shiva will tell him one day, "In the Island of Simala (or Simhala - the first time I read it, I thought it was Shimla but when the mentioned island, I am doubtful. Is it Lanka, perhaps?  And no idea about Sambala either), the King Brihadhra has a daughter named Padma. One day, Lord Umamaheshwar himself appeared to her and told her that Narayan himself will marry her." Hearign this, Kalki will send the parrot to Padma and the parrot will be the messenger between the two. In Simala, the preparations for a Swayamvara for the princess will start.

Lord Kalki will reach Simala and hearing the news, they will prepare for the marriage between the two. Padma's father will make Kalki sit on a golden seat (throne - like seat) and the marriage ceremony will be done with great happiness and satisfaction.

Kalki will return to Sambala with Padma and then the events that will follow are Visvakarma building a palace and a city there, (something about defeating the Jain ruler and his army is mentioned which I am not sure of what is said), the Rishis meeting Kalki in Haridhwaar, the desription of Surya and Chandravanshis, Sri Rama Charitam and then Devapi and Maru coming (probably to Sambala) with Kalki.

Then, they will conquer all 8 directions, Kokavikosar will be killed, they will travel to many countries, Sushanti's Bhaakthi will be realised by all, Kalki will be borne back home, Dharma will be reestablished, Krita Yuga will start, Ramaa's marriage with Kalki, Sasidhvaja will attain moksha, and then the kingdoms will be split and given to the kings and their coronation.

In Sambala, many yagas and yagyas will be done, Vishnuyashas will be shown the path to moksha, Kritha and Dharma will spread in the world, Devas will pray to Lord Vishnu (Kalki) to come back and the Lord will go back to Vaikundha.
Edited by Vibhishna - 15 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
This is all I have. These were taken from the Bhavishya Purana (The History Of the Future, if I have interpreted correctly).

I myself am confused with many of the facts.

Firstly, the book I read alternated between past tense and future tense. Was this a description of the previous Kalki Avtaar? I am not sure if it is so in the Bhavishya Purana itself or if it was written so in the book I have.

No idea where Sambala and Simala are, or the place where Lord Shiva appears to Kalki.

No idea about Kalki's brothers except that he had three brothers and no idea whether they were elder or younger.

No idea about where Ramaa will be born and how she will get married to Kalki.

Regarding the time frames, Kalki's birth date is given but not the year. We can determinie it if we know how long Kalki was immersed in penance to Lord Shiva.
Vr15h thumbnail

Thanks Vibs for everything you've found out and posted.

Sambala I read somewhere is a village in UP. So it would become the capital of the world (meaning just India, or the world in whichever year it is?)

So this assumes that all present day governments/state setups will be destroyed, and there will be a reversion to a monarchy? I think that's cool! Also, will Padma, unlike Sita, have a happy life, or will she have to suffer. Please tell me that unlike Rama, Kalki doesn't have any pre-existing curses following him? And hopefully doesn't incur any between now and then. And hopefully, Kalki is never separated from Padma.

One other question. Normally, when Vishnu had a military objective of destroying evil, he assumed kshatriya roles, as in Rama and Krishna, although Parashurama was a notable exception since kshatriyas themselves were the problem. But in this case, Kalki has a clear military mission like Rama, and given that, why is he coming as a Brahmin rather than a Kshatriya? (Please don't be offended by the question - it's just that since it's not a post-caste setup (or is it?), wouldn't a kshatriya role be more appropriate, like in Rama or Krishna)?

Edited by Chandraketu - 15 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
 question:

When Sitaji came to live in Sage Valmikiji's aashram, didnt any of the ppl living there knw that it was Sitaji? Didnt anyone think that it cud be her as Sita ji left Aydohya at taht time? didnt anyone think that way when she came to live there as Vandevi.

How far was Rishi Valmiki ji's aashram from Aydohya? if anyone knows this.

During their vanvas time, Ram-Sita-and Laxman, didnt they meet Rishi Valmiki (in Chirtakut??!)?

thnx in advance.

Edited by bharat9 - 15 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail

Rimi

1. In Valmiki's version, yes. There is no mention of Vandevi, and when Valmiki enters his ashram with Sita (7-49-??), Seeing Seetaa with Muni, Muni wives said - "Hey Maharshi, We welcome you and tell us what can we do for you?" Maharshi Vaalmeeki said - "She is the sinless daughter of Raajaa Janak and is Pativrataa. You take care of Her and give Her company with respects." I don't have the exact verse here as I do a little later, since the source I refer hasn't yet gone beyond Yudhyakand. I do hope they get to it soon.

2. I keep forgetting, and besides, I'm not familiar with how far places in UP are from each other. Maybe Ananya can answer this one.

3. Yes, they did meet Valmiki in 2-56-16:18

Originally posted by: "Valmikiramayan.net"

iti siitaa ca raamashcha lakshmaNashcha kR^itaaJNjaliH |
abhigamyaashramam sarve vaalmiiki mabhivaadayan || 2-56-16

16. iti= after deciding thus; siitaa cha= Seetha; raamashcha= Rama; lakshhmaNashcha= and Lakshmana; sarve= all; kR^itaaJNjaliH= with joined palms; abhigamya= approached; aashramam= the hermitage; abhivaadayan= and offered salutation; vaalmiikim= to the sage Valmiki.

After deciding thus Seetha, Rama and Lakshmana all with joined palms approached the hermitage and offered salutation to the sage Valmiki.

Verse Locator

taanmaharSiH pramuditaH puujayaamaasa dharmavit |
aasyataamiti covaaca svaagatam tu nivedya ca || 2-56-17

17. maharshhiH= the great sage Valmiki; dharmavit= who knew what is right; pramuditaH= full of delight; puujayaamaasa= honoured; taan= them; nivedya= offered; svaagatam= cordial welcome; uvaacha= and requested (them); aasyataam iti= to sit.

The great sage Valmiki, who knew what is right, full of delight, treated them with honour, offered cordial welcome and requested them to sit.

Verse Locator

tato.abraviinmahaabaahurlakamaNam lakshmaNaagrajaH |
samnivedya yathaanyaaya maatmaanamR^iSye prabhuH || 2-56-18

18. tataH= then; lakshmaNaagrajaH= Rama; prabhuH= the lord; mahaabaahuH= with mighty arms; yathaanyaayam= in accord with tradition; samnivedya= report; R^ishhaye= to the ascetic; aatmaanaam= all that concerned them; abraviit= spoke; lakshmaNam= to Lakshmana (as follows)

Then Rama, the lord with mighty arms, in accord with tradition, reported to the ascetic all that concerned them and spoke to Lakshmana as follows: