DLF IPL 2011 Season

Chances of RR defending the IPL trophy

Ipshitaa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Hey Guys,
Since IPL is round the corner, I was wondering as to what are the chances of Rajasthan Royals being able to defend the IPL trophy. Well frankly, I wasn't a fan of the squad before the IPL 2008 started but later on I was impressed by the spirit shown by the team who were considered underdogs.But this year there are a lot of changes in the team

Absence
Sohail Tanveer
Shane Watson (for at least half the series)
Mohammad Kaif (though he didn't contribute much)
Kamran Akmal

Additions
Tyron henderson (all rounder)
Shaun Tait (bowler)
Kamran Khan (bowler)
(P.S.: I've not mentioned all the players but some of the key players in my view)

In my opinion the major blow to the team will be absence of Tanveer and Watson.They had contributed immensely last time .But still I guess the presence of Shane Warne, Yusuf Pathan,Kamran Khan and definitely Graeme Smith will be good enough for them to stay put in IPL . Also I am quite sure about the skills of Shane Warne as Captain and Coach who had managed to lift the team (despite the absence of star players) to the top last time.Your views on this:

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~sujal_kashish~ thumbnail
I certainly agree with you. I think it is not highly difficult, but it will not be easy for RR to lift the trophy again. Firstly, they will miss Watson and Tanvir greatly. In fact, if you think about it, a lot of the matches last season were controlled by Tanvir's bowling.

Furthermore, it should be noted that they have a very raw squad, fewer big names and internationally experienced players. Last year, everything clicked for them and this bunch of youngsters was inspired enough to triumph. However, this time luck might not favor them as much and if the initial 'click' doesn't happen they might find things more difficult since they are a bunch of newer and inexperienced players.

Add to it that they are under pressure for keeeping up their performance from last year.

So all in all I think it really matters whether or not they happen to click into form indidvidually and as a team at the start of the league - then they should gather momentum and will have a good chance of making it again. Otherwise its not a cakewalk. 
Ipshitaa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Yeah! they pretty much relied mostly on Tanveer ...he literally was the lead wicket taker during the opening overs. And Watson was also in top form and contributed immensely as a batsmen and a bowler. But I guess the brand new discovery of Shane Warne, the bowler Kamran Khan is also a good wicket taker (as he proved during the warm up matches) and also the alrounder Tyron henderson is said to take Watson's place in the squad.So overall the team looks balanced.

But the other thing is the bouncy wicket of SA.Lookig at the past records, most of the Indian bowlers may not be that effective at those pitches. So more experienced Shaun Tait and Henderson alongwith Warne stand a good chance to take wickets. But definitely the team is inexperienced and Shane Warne will have to swet it out if they intend to win.

Edited by ippusays - 15 years ago