Book Talk

Do you read the last page first?

shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Sorry if this topic was started already, feel free to close if a similar topic already exists.

Do you read the last page of a novel first before you start reading?

I know that some peole need to know how a book's going to end before they even start it.  Personally, I can't do that. It ruins the entire experience of the novel for me, if i already know how it ends. Thats why I try to read books, before I see their movie versions, becasue I don't like to ruin the experience. 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

muffins2waffles thumbnail
I try not too :) But sometimes I take quick sneak peeks, haha. But I really don't like to incase something I don't like happens. If thats the case, I end up reading the whole book negatively and that really does ruin the experience.
trina_saras thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: shellytt

Sorry if this topic was started already, feel free to close if a similar topic already exists.

Do you read the last page of a novel first before you start reading?

I know that some peole need to know how a book's going to end before they even start it.  Personally, I can't do that. It ruins the entire experience of the novel for me, if i already know how it ends. Thats why I try to read books, before I see their movie versions, becasue I don't like to ruin the experience. 😊

I agree with you, I dont read the last page because I dont want to ruin the ending for myself.  If I already know the ending, then there is no point in me reading it, it's like fast-forwarding through the last scene or skipping to it in a DVD version of the film.  That kind of reading is not for me.  I can understand some people may be impatient to read it from front to back, but I like it that way.  Nice topic btw. 

I respect the author's intention of writing it, if I find the book interesting then I can afford to wait until the end.  I often read the book before a movie even comes out on it, so then I know the ending but I find it interesting how the movie departs from the book itself, and the liberties the director has taken from th actual text.  😳

wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
OMG I TOTALLY do that! And then I hate myself for having done that...I am not even kidding...I JUST can't resist. And I practically beg people to give me spoilers! HA! 😆😒
missindia26 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I dont because personally I hate it, I feel like it spoils the story 😕

But I am guilty of reading a few chapter ahead...only when i open the book at the wrong page...usually 😳
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
If the ending of a book is disclosed, then there's not much meaning to reading the entire book.  Just like if you already know the ending of a movie, it's particular hard to watch the movie unless it's a masterpiece.

So I totally refrain from doing that.  I don't read the last page first and I hate when others tell me about it against my wishes. 

I love the little surprises that an author plants here and there to attract the readers, some authors have exceptional endings (even if they're not exactly I would want them to be) and so I wouldn't want to ruin the fun of reading by reading the last page first.

-Mahi
-Ami- thumbnail

I like try really really hard not to. Sometimes I can't help it. But sometimes I just try not to and don't read the last page. I hate the habit thought if I do read the ending first becuase sometimes it ruins it for me. But when I know at times that I might not like the book and I'm just skipping around. I do read the last page then. Or else, if its a good book and I know I'll like it, i try not to read the last page.

sareeta thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
This content was originally posted by: -Mystery-

If the ending of a book is disclosed, then there's not much meaning to reading the entire book.  Just like if you already know the ending of a movie, it's particular hard to watch the movie unless it's a masterpiece.

So I totally refrain from doing that.  I don't read the last page first and I hate when others tell me about it against my wishes. 

I love the little surprises that an author plants here and there to attract the readers, some authors have exceptional endings (even if they're not exactly I would want them to be) and so I wouldn't want to ruin the fun of reading by reading the last page first.

-Mahi

Second that Mahi! For me the reading of the book is itself an experience... sounds cliched' but thats what it is and I enjoy the entire process of the plot being revelead...
And just like Mahi, I hate it when people tell me what the ending is, and there have been instances where people have done that and I've still gone ahead and read hte book like I didnt know... frankly I dont care...for me the book and the expereince of reading it matters; there are far more things that I enjoy, the use of the language , the suspense of it... and the grip the author has on the plot...
The stories and the incidents in the story that the authors pen, also reveal a lot of their observations and thats what makes it more interesting...
So for me , luckily i've never had to fight the urge of wanting to know the ending... it never mattered... coz I'd know it anyway and I'd know in the way the author wanted me , the reader to know...
I enjoyed the HP series too in the same manner and I can vouch for the fact that , that is what made the experience of reading the books so much more enjoyable... as with any other series as well!
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
yeah...i do that...maine harry potter and the deathly hallows mein yahi kia tha...hehe...just to check out whether harry dies or no....i almost cried with relief that he was alive...it's good to know that many of you do the same...😛..and i am not the only one.....sahi hai...
curosity khatam ho jaati hai..
maine to new moon and eclipse bhi parts mein padi hai.....hehehehe
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Nope!
it totally ruins it for me...if i already know what is gion to happen in the end, i cant finish it 😳