Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago
forgive me for the spelling mistakes because the above story was written in a very emotional state.
Caryn thumbnail
thanks for sharing your story with us.  It is emotional.  I think at times like this, I would have been  a coward and would have done the same.

It is human in us.  We shouldn't do that but we do - maybe more out of fear than anything else.
eljay thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
That story was so moving, Satish!  It is even more moving because she did not even want your money, all she wants is for you to visit their colony.  How many mothers would be so unselfish as to give up their entire lives caring for a sick child, especially when they are not wealthy?  The power of a mother is truly amazing, and I am appreciating my mother more and more these days, 19 years after she passed away.
light_dark thumbnail
   Divine Understanding

A biker was riding along a California beach when suddenly the sky cloudedabove his head and, in a booming voice, the Lord said, "Because you have TRIED to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish."

The biker pulled over and said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride overanytime I want." 

The Lord said, "Your request is materialistic. think of theenormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports required toreach the bottom of the Pacific!  The concrete and steel it would take! Itwill nearly exhaust several natural resources. I can do it, but it is hardfor me to justify your desire for worldly things. Take a little more timeand think of something that would honor and glorify me."
The biker thought about it for a long time. Finally he said, "Lord, I wish that I could understand my wife. I want to know how she feels inside, whatshe's thinking when she gives me the silent treatment, why she cries, what she means when she says nothing is wrong, and how I can make a woman truly
happy."

The Lord replied"You want two lanes or four on that bridge?" 
light_dark thumbnail

A Polish (citizen of Poland country) man moved to the USA and married an American girl.

Although his English was very bad, they got along very well until one day he rushed into a lawyer's office and asked him if he could could arrange a divorce for him. The lawyer said that getting a divorce would depend on the circumstances, and asked him the following questions:

Have you any grounds?
- Yes, an acre and half and nice little home.

No, I mean what is the foundation of this case?
- It made of concrete.

I don't think you understand. Do either of you have a real grudge?
- No, we have carport, and not need one.

I mean. What are your relations like?
- All my relations still in Poland.

Is there any infidelity in your marriage?
- We have hi-fidelity stereo and good DVD player.

Does your wife beat you up?
- No, I am always up before her.

Is your wife a nagger?
- No, she white.

Why do you want this divorce?
- She going to kill me.

What makes you think that?
- I got proof.

What kind of proof?
- She going to poison me. She buy a bottle at drugstore and put on shelf in bathroom. I can read, and it say: "Polish Remover".
rojapoooo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
good ones Satish - all of them.
About that poor mother taking care of her handicapped
son - well it is so true that God made mothers only because
He could not  be present every where - she could have abandoned
that child or looked at possible adoption but she chose to
carry him around - Mother's day is just round the corner and
all I can do is to salute all the mothers of the world - which
incidentally includes me 😉
jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
8 pm in the night and the scene was going on
my shot was going to take time so i lit up a smoke and was strolling around

Atina, it's 1116 p.m. here in ca. and am emotionally attached to IF and have tears in my eyes out of sheer exhaustion of my college homework, but also that this lovely gentleman is releasing 400 chemicals in the air as he "lights up."And on an average smokers live 7 years less thaan non-smokers. Yes, it will be of a lot more substance than stars like dd, nevertheless.
The Lord replied....
DD, the sense of humor between stories is teriffic. Life needs to be like that, living for the moment.
The pics of childhood and with Aachi, and the make up are just tremendous.
I recall during the end of my first 6 months in Ca. when I was doing several jobs at a  time and going to school to support myself, my principal gave me a lesson. She told me I have all the skills I need, not to carry the whole world on my shoulders, a lesson I never forgot. Not to be enamored with the success of others, to be all that i can be. Why can't that principle be applied to the story of the old woman?
Last weekend, I'd been to the Flint center in Los Gatos where the Tamil children academy kids were practicing on stage. The costumes and performances of the children brought out a gamut of emotions in me. Is that how I was as a child? Those were the thoughts going through my mind, as I sat watching with my cousin who studies in that college. The other thing is, watching things on stage is so different form seeing it on tv and big screen. There is an interaction between you ad the stage.
Edited by jagdu - 14 years ago
light_dark thumbnail
hi jagdu,

I am glad you care enough about me and the air to remark about the smoke i lit up.well i am not a chain smoker but i do sometimes bum a smoke from the director or whoever is nearbye when i really crave for one.that happened to be the one time.anyway thanks for i will try to cut that out also.

i am glad you like the stories and the emotions in them.

satish
light_dark thumbnail

Origins of Famous Names.. 

There are many companies / brands / products whose names were derived from strange circumstances. 

Mercedes
This was actually the financier's daughter's name. 

Adobe
This came from name of the river Adobe Creek that ran behind the house of founder John Warnock. 

Apple Computers
It was the favourite fruit of founder Steve Jobs. He was three months late in filing a name for the business, and he threatened to call his company Apple Computers if the other colleagues didn't suggest a better name by 5 O'clock.

CISCO
It is not an acronym as popularly believed. It is short for San Francisco. 

Compaq
This name was formed by using COMp, for computer, and PAQ to denote a small integral object. 

Corel
The name was derived from the founder's name Dr. Michael Cowpland. It stands for COwpland REsearch Laboratory. 

Google
The name started as a joke boasting about the amount of information the search-engine would be able to search. It was originally named 'Googol', a word for the number represented by 1 followed by 100 zeros. After founders- Stanford graduate students Sergey Brin and Larry Page presented their project to an angel investor, they received a cheque made out to 'Google' 

Hotmail

Founder Jack Smith got the idea of accessing e-mail via the web from a computer anywhere in the world. When Sabeer Bhatia came up with the business plan for the mail service, he tried all kinds of names ending in 'mail' and finally settled for hotmail as it included the letters "html" - the programming language used to write web pages. It was initially referred to as HoTMaiL with selective uppercasing. 

Hewlett Packard
Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard tossed a coin to decide whether the company they founded would be called Hewlett-Packard or Packard-Hewlett. 

Intel

Bob Noyce and Gordon Moore wanted to name their new company 'Moore Noyce' but that was already trademarked by a hotel chain so they had to settle for an acronym of INTegrated ELectronics. 

Lotus (Notes)
Mitch Kapor got the name for his company from 'The Lotus Position' or 'Padmasana'. Kapoor used to be a teacher of Transcendental Meditation of  Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.  

Microsoft

Coined by Bill Gates to represent the company that was devoted to MICROcomputer SOFTware. Originally christened Micro-Soft, the '-' was removed later on. 

Motorola

Founder Paul Galvin came up with this name when his company started manufacturing radios for cars. The popular radio company at the time was called Victrola. 

ORACLE

Larry Ellison and Bob Oats were working on a consulting project for the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). The code name for the project was called Oracle (the CIA saw this as the system to give answers to all questions or something such). The project was designed to help use the newly written SQL code by IBM. The project eventually was terminated but Larry and Bob decided to finish what they started and bring it to the world. They kept the name Oracle and created the RDBMS engine. Later they kept the same name for the company. 

Sony
It originated from the Latin word 'sonus' meaning sound, and 'sonny' a slang used by Americans to refer to a bright youngster. 

SUN
Founded by 4 Stanford University buddies, SUN is the acronym for Stanford University Network. Andreas Bechtolsheim built a microcomputer; Vinod Khosla recruited him and Scott McNealy to manufacture computers based on it, and Bill Joy to develop a UNIX-based OS for the computer. 

Yahoo!

The word was invented by Jonathan Swift and used in his book 'Gulliver's Travels'. It represents a person who is repulsive in appearance and action and is barely human. Yahoo! Founders Jerry Yang and David Filo selected the name because they considered themselves yahoos.

light_dark thumbnail

US Citizen - What a joke

John Smith started the day early having set his  

alarm  clock 

(MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am.    

While his coffeepot   

(MADE IN   CHINA ) 

was  perking, he shaved with his  

electric razor 

(MADE IN HONG KONG .) 

He put on a   

dress shirt  

(MADE IN  SRI  LANKA ),  

designer jeans  

(MADE IN  SINGAPORE )  

and     

tennis shoes          

(MADE IN  KOREA )        

After  cooking his breakfast in his new         

electric skillet        

(MADE IN  INDIA )   

he sat down  with his         

calculator        

(MADE IN MEXICO )           

to see how much he could spend today. After setting his         

watch        

(MADE IN   TAIWAN )          

to the  radio           

(MADE IN   INDIA )          

he got in his car           

(MADE IN   GERMANY )         

filled it with GAS        

(from Saudi Arabia )        

and continued his search             

for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.         

At the end of yet another discouraging      

and  fruitless day         

checking his    

Computer       

(Made In    Malaysia),         

John decided to relax for a  while.        

He put  on his  sandals          

(MADE IN  BRAZIL )        

poured himself  a glass of        

wine        

(MADE IN  FRANCE )           

and turned on his      

TV          

(MADE IN  INDONESIA ),            

and then wondered   why he can't find        

a good paying job        

in AMERICA

AND NOW HE'S HOPING HE CAN GET HELP FROM A PRESIDENT MADE IN  KENYA  

Y'all gotta Keep this one circulating, please!