'Kolkata' dropped from Kolkata Knight Riders

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 14 years ago
It's not just Kolkata's icon Sourav Ganguly who has been dropped from captaining Shah Rukh Khan's IPL team this season. The name "Kolkata" has been dropped from all Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) merchandise.

The team is still called KKR, but official sources said this could change to Knight Riders in the next IPL season.

Sources in Reebok, the official merchandise partner for the team, said it was Shah Rukh Khan-owned company's decision. Hence, the city's name has been dropped from all T-shirts, socks and accessories.

Sources indicated the company was actively looking at shifting base to other cities following the controversies involving Sourav Ganguly's captaincy.

The company is registered as Knight Riders Private Ltd and all vouchers are issued under this name. As the team belonged to Kolkata, with seven home-playing matches in Kolkata last season and with Sourav Ganguly's involvement in them, the brand used for the team name and the merchandise was "Kolkata Knight Riders" in IPL1.

"If the matches had not shifted from Kolkata, the merchandise would have continued to have 'Kolkata' Knight Riders written on them," said the source.

"KKR is more popular as Shah Rukh Khan's team than for Kolkata. So, merchandise sales will not be affected. Also, shifting base to other cities like Ahmedabad will help the company manage its administrative issues better and keep it away from more controversies. Dropping 'Kolkata' from the team's merchandise will bring worldwide appeal," said the source. Reebok sources said merchandise sales in India had dipped by more than 30 per cent this year compared with last year but the opportunity to sell merchandise the world over had opened up. "So, there may not be a dip in overall revenues," said a source.

Thnx 4 sharing..bt i think should retain Kolkata..
Kolkata is the heart of the name & team!

Well if SRK thinks KKR is his playground for business,then let him do itπŸ˜† And if he does that then SRK is gonna surely loose some of his loyals forever.
This is ridiculous... what does SRK think of himself... flippin arrogant idiot

No wonder they are losing, Dada leave this team you deserve better than this, join Mumbai Indians plzzz
Originally posted by *Dakoo_Minzy*

Kolkata is the heart of the name & team!

Well if SRK thinks KKR is his playground for business,then let him do itπŸ˜† And if he does that then SRK is gonna surely loose some of his loyals forever.

Before today i neither hated him or liked him but from today onwards i really hate him. Believe me they arent going to get any far this season as well.. they will be knocked out in group stages. He is really misusing his popularity
ditto to u Dadaaa plz get out of this crapppy teammmmm dis is heights of arrogance had Dada not been his mascot na he wldnt have got half the publicity hes chewinggg i mean first be obnoxious ot the Prince os Kolkatta den dorp the essence of the team;s name ie Kolkatta itself...haaaaaa..shamee...Dada come to RR..pljjjjj
I dont mind where Dada goes, i dont want him to be embarrassed and be disrespected so he should leave Knight Riders. Personally i would love him to see in Mumbai Indians because i support them and also Sachin and Ganguly are my fav partners. Rajashtan Royal will be good as well at least he will get respect there. Banglore will be great as well, Dravid and Ganguly my 2nd fav

Please dada just leave this team.... this team is not even kolkatta anymore the arrogant ownerchanged the name.
Ridiculous πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ .... Dada seriously deserves to be in a better team. Whats the point of dropping the word Kolkata from KKR πŸ€’