Discussion: Inspiration or Plagiarism?!

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Well, here I am presenting the ...

This time we're discussing what accounts as inspiration not plagiarism, and what accounts as plagiarism and not inspiration. 

According to dictionary.reference.com, plagiarism means "
the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work," whereas inspiration means "an animating, quickening, or exalting influence."

We've seen many similar ideas used in various books.  Sometimes I wonder if it's really inspiration or plagiarism!  Sometimes if you look at the old forgotten books, some of their ideas a simply stolen into the new books.  No one notices and it happens.

So, when do you think it goes over the board and become plagiarism?

Do you have any examples of any book and/or other written material that's plagiarized?

How many times can someone be inspired by an idea before it becomes too stale?  Can you think of any books that deal with a topic in the same way, and you wonder where is the creativity?
Any additional comments are always welcome!

Enjoy discussing!  

Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nulz thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hi Mahi > nice topic 👍🏼

So, when do you think it goes over the board and become plagiarism?

To be honest, I think, whether someone's work inspires you or whether you use their work/ideas .. it is regarded as plagiarism if you do not acknowledge that person.

No acknowledgement means you are presenting it as your own original work and that equals to plagiarism.

Whether it's a movie/book/music/play or any form of art .. if u have been inspired .. state it .. if u are using someone's work > state that also.

Do you have any examples of any book and/or other written material that's plagiarized?  

I have seen many articles over the internet being copied and pasted and the original authors are not acknowledged.

Many Indian movie songs are copies of western songs/tunes > they are not acknowledged

Movies are made on concepts that have been created by some1 else, just coz that's what ppl demand? but no1 acknowledges the original version.

How many times can someone be inspired by an idea before it becomes too stale?  Can you think of any books that deal with a topic in the same way, and you wonder where is the creativity?

Ideas are used and extra spice and masala's are added to make books/movies more interesting .. even music, old songs are remixed .. we all know that its not original but it sells, be it original or not.

Creativity is there in the sense that u get something that has been created already and use creativity to enhance it as ur own .. however, we lack "original" creativity these days.

Any additional comments are always welcome!

Yes we see/read/hear > same/similar things again and again .. but there are also original minds out there who come up with new and original work .. these are the work that actually get noticed and stay in our minds for a long time .. they even make history.

Edited by nulz - 14 years ago
soul76 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I think inspiration is when you like a particular idea and incorporate the likes of it in a story of your own. But plagiarism is when you copy scene to scene word to word lyric to lyric. Even in the ff section here there are so many ppl who pass off someone else's hard work as their own.
.sanyatreuz. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
cool topic
lukin forward 2 it
Pooj@ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Plagarism is when the idea is ripped off clearly which i think is rather sneaky

I hate to mention this but the book THE ALCHEMIST closely resembles a tale from the Arabian Nights..... I have read the book and the story and the similarity is really uncanny... I do not mean to suggest plagarism or anything but the similarity is really uncanny.....

sunnkiised thumbnail
Jessica's Guide to dating on the dark side is a perfect example.
It may be "inspired" by twilight but I think it's quite plagarised the whole saga in the one book.
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Thank you all for a great discussion!

New discussion has been posted but you may continue discussing this.

In case of any questions, comments, suggestions, or concerns, please feel free to send me a PM.

-MahiEdited by -Mystery- - 14 years ago