Is physical punishment of children justified?

Posted: 14 years ago

In my opinion, it is not justified. On the other hand, many people in India disagree with that opinion. It may be justified in extreme cases, but it is not clear what are those extreme cases? I think that children can be taught almost anything without using physical punishment.

I think that physical punishment of children is a cheap shortcut and it gives a signal to them that a slap is the solution of everything. When they grow up they will remember this and this hard coded lesson may give rise to physical violence, domestic violence, etc.

In any case that is just my opinion and I am interested in knowing your opinions.

(I was thinking about this topic for sometime. If there is an existing thread on this topic then please close it.)

Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago

hmm

yeah ! i do consider physical punishment to be a shortcut.....

what are we teaching children by doing that ?

that its might thats right?

to become hitters?

to take shortcuts whenever presented with challenges?

to store their anger, etc expressions within themselves ?

I don't think these are the goals that parents would like to set for their children !

Having said that , i guess the habit of giving physical punishment is like genetic lol.....it flows from generation to generation....until something really drastic happens !

Now , i don't think banning physical punishment is the right way either ! That would be another shortcut........how to make people realise that the negatives of physical punishment long overhaul the positives is the qn ! And ofcourse, even after realising, we can never be sure who'd follow it and who'd not......who doesn't like shortcuts after all?πŸ˜‰

Edited by clodpolish - 14 years ago
The key to being a good parent is knowing when and how to discipline children. Sometimes explanation works, sometimes a good talking to works, sometimes coercion like grounding etc. works, and every once in a while a smack is needed.

I do not condone physical punishment and think that parents who swear by it are wrong. However, I do feel that every now and then a smack is necessary.

As people pointed out, a smack can be a shortcut and is insufficient by itself. It is a good tool for a quick fix like breaking tantrums and stubbornness or a simple reminder of who is in charge or even in just instilling discipline out of fear. But parents who want to successfully use smacks will never lash out at children in anger, use excessive force or make a habit of smacking. They also ought to also consider the self respect of a child and avoid public humiliations.

Everything must be in balance. In India I have seen teachers and parents physically hit children, often leading to either excessively meek or excessively aggressive behavior in the child. On the flip side, I have seen some teachers and parents be slaves to children because they cannot give a smack in time to stop bad behavior.

Now this might sound controversial, but in my opinion I think Cesar Milan's dog training tips work well for children as well.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The key to being a good parent is knowing when and how to discipline children. Sometimes explanation works, sometimes a good talking to works, sometimes coercion like grounding etc. works, and every once in a while a smack is needed.

I do not condone physical punishment and think that parents who swear by it are wrong. However, I do feel that every now and then a smack is necessary.

As people pointed out, a smack can be a shortcut and is insufficient by itself. It is a good tool for a quick fix like breaking tantrums and stubbornness or a simple reminder of who is in charge or even in just instilling discipline out of fear. But parents who want to successfully use smacks will never lash out at children in anger, use excessive force or make a habit of smacking. They also ought to also consider the self respect of a child and avoid public humiliations.

Everything must be in balance. In India I have seen teachers and parents physically hit children, often leading to either excessively meek or excessively aggressive behavior in the child. On the flip side, I have seen some teachers and parents be slaves to children because they cannot give a smack in time to stop bad behavior.

Now this might sound controversial, but in my opinion I think Cesar Milan's dog training tips work well for children as well.

itna kaun sochta hai RTH ji ?πŸ˜†.......maaro aur baat khatam karo........thats what is the general theory of smack followedπŸ˜†

btw - i am with you on that millan's method !

If I had a son like cloddy, I'd start my day with a big huge smack on his face and then smack him again if he dared to ask - mumma, kyoon mara? 

πŸ˜›πŸ˜†
Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

If I had a son like cloddy, I'd start my day with a big huge smack on his face and then smack him again if he dared asked - mumma, kyoon mara?
πŸ˜›πŸ˜†
awwwwww......now that's what I call B L A C K M A I L😑.....πŸ˜†   πŸ€—

This is the only reason my hubby misses a son --- betiyon ko maar naheen saktey naπŸ˜†  He is like - beta hota toh roz saverey ek raseed karta seedhey haath ka ultee kanpati key neechey.  Aur agar woh poochhta papa kyoon mara toh ek aur lagaataa ki poochha kyoonπŸ˜†  Bas, mainey tumhey dedicate ker diyaπŸ˜†

Originally posted by Gauri_3

awwwwww......now that's what I call B L A C K M A I L😑.....πŸ˜† πŸ€—

This is the only reason my hubby misses a son --- betiyon ko maar naheen saktey naπŸ˜† He is like - beta hota toh roz saverey ek raseed karta seedhey haath ka ultee kanpati key neechey. Aur agar woh poochhta papa kyoon mara toh ek aur lagaataa ki poochha kyoonπŸ˜† Bas, mainey tumhey dedicate ker diyaπŸ˜†

hadd hai ! bilkul hadd hai !πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

khair bahut chapet khaaye hain maine bhi....par sudhra nahinπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I strongly protest beating, be it a teacher or parent kids shudnt be beaten up by them i believe there are better ways to educate or discipline your kids beating is an abusive act i detest people who take pleasure in beating l'il kids!
Fully agree to GD marne liye bete hony chahiye beti ko marna acha nahi hai!😊
Edited by mahikhan - 14 years ago
I think RTH covered most of the parts, ill share my point of view anyways.

Every child is different and only a parent can understand their child the most, whilst some need smacking to bring them on the right track others only require a good child to parent counseling. I actually dont believe physical punishment to be considered wrong, provided its done in limits and doesn't severely injure the child.

A child learns through parents modeling them, If you be too soft on them they may not learn..sometimes a parent needs to slap them to bring them back to their senses....heard of the phrase , spare the rod and spoil the child? i dont know how severe a punishment do you mean? certainly a slap here and there can do no harm? Gentle punishment along with strong foundation of love and support would surely help the child in the future...you cant love them all the time and let them away with mistakes..it is important they realize their mistakes and get punished for it accordingly..if you be loose on them in their young age, you might totally lose control over them when they are older.

Great topic!!!

Xoxo