Is physical punishment of children justified? - Page 2

Posted: 14 years ago
roa

got your post, will post my thoughts on this topic and others after reading asr namaz

for now g2g

tc 😃
no way atleast not to small kids. when they grow up like above 5-6 yes but below that they are so sweet
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

no way atleast not to small kids. when they grow up like above 5-6 yes but below that they are so sweet

LOL, you sound sweet saying that!😛😆

but yes agree!!!!!!

Xoxo
my thoughts on this topic are that ultimately its up to the parents how they discipline there kids.  personally i would like to think i would never punish my kids, punishment is a last resort and if you have to hit a child then a little smack is okay.  there is one thing i would like to say though is that i would never punish the child when they are young and also never hit my daughter but for boys its different, But right now its all hypothetical you never know what the situation will be like when you actually have kids and have to discipline them, however i would like to think i would never use physical punishment towards children, if i had to it would be last resort and minor first i would sit them down and explain best i could so that they could understand not to do wrong in future.
Originally posted by karandel_2008

In my opinion, it is not justified. On the other hand, many people in India disagree with that opinion. It may be justified in extreme cases, but it is not clear what are those extreme cases? I think that children can be taught almost anything without using physical punishment.

I think that physical punishment of children is a cheap shortcut and it gives a signal to them that a slap is the solution of everything. When they grow up they will remember this and this hard coded lesson may give rise to physical violence, domestic violence, etc.

In any case that is just my opinion and I am interested in knowing your opinions.

(I was thinking about this topic for sometime. If there is an existing thread on this topic then please close it.)

I agree with u, children can be taught dicipline without physical punishment, its a short cut, as children grow up being beaten and all that, they start to think its normal to hit other ppl and there own children and the hole circle just starts again.
i think pysical abuse jshould be  stop really...but if the kids are really enoying they should earn a smack on the bottom lol
i do think so even though nowadays many communities especially western communities allow children to sue their own parents if their parents punish them with physical punishment. even though this physical punishment should not be abused.
Absolutely not, There is no justification to corporal punishment and man handling. I'm totally against it. Thanks.
Originally posted by Rage-Of-Angels

I think RTH covered most of the parts, ill share my point of view anyways.

Every child is different and only a parent can understand their child the most, whilst some need smacking to bring them on the right track others only require a good child to parent counseling. I actually dont believe physical punishment to be considered wrong, provided its done in limits and doesn't severely injure the child.

A child learns through parents modeling them, If you be too soft on them they may not learn..sometimes a parent needs to slap them to bring them back to their senses....heard of the phrase , spare the rod and spoil the child? i dont know how severe a punishment do you mean? certainly a slap here and there can do no harm? Gentle punishment along with strong foundation of love and support would surely help the child in the future...you cant love them all the time and let them away with mistakes..it is important they realize their mistakes and get punished for it accordingly..if you be loose on them in their young age, you might totally lose control over them when they are older.

Great topic!!!

Xoxo

Totally agree with you.

I think physical punishment should be avoided as much as possible, but sometimes a small smack when nothing else works is not wrong. However, it shoudl not be used frequently and beating a child shoudl never be done.
So I guess despite various differences in opinions, everyone agreed to the fact that a child deserves a real good smack once in a while. 😆😃
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago