Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

I want my room filled with awardsDisha Vakani/Daya

Ishan. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 14 years ago
'Hey Maa! Mataji'. These are the words that have endeared her on-screen character to the masses.

Disha Vakani (TOI photo)

By keeping the viewers enthralled with her histrionics and funny ways, Disha Vakani 'Dayaben' has become a household name. Disha Vakani, decided to choose 'Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashma' instead of saas-bahu soaps. "Comedy is the best medium to take audience away from their daily routine and give a dose of laughter which helps them forget all their problems. This serial gives meaningful insights into everyday problems in a manner which is laced with humour and aimed at keeping families together, instead of 'tu tu main main' of saas-bahu."

Coming from a family with theatre background, Disha always wanted to be an actor. "My father Bheem Vakani is a theatre artist. I started acting in his plays as a child artist since I was five years old. Then I joined workshop of my guru Naamdev Lahute and from there, started my love for acting. Later, I graduated in Dramatic Arts from Gujarat College." Disha has worked in the popular plays like Baa Retire Thai Che and Laadli and a daily soap (which is off air now).

Although Disha has become very popular through the medium of television, her love for theatre is still the same. "Theatre has shaped my acting skills. Theatre directly connects you to the audience. You can get immediate response after your act. The cheers and claps of audience make you feel wonderful and confident too," says Disha. And how does she feel about doing a mother's role in spite of being single? "As an actor you have to be ready for variety of roles. If you want to prove yourself you have to accept the challenge. So what if I am single, I don't mind doing a grand mother's role."
A successful theatre artist and acting in a popular comedy show, Disha's favourite actors are Smita Patil and Sujata Mehta.

And fame hasn't changed Disha at all. "I am very simple girl. I may be an actor for other people but I am the same Disha for my family and my friends. I still hang out with my friends as I used to do before. We still go out and eat pani-puri on road. Pani-puri and Surti 'locho' are my favorites."

Disha has recently won the ITA(Indian Television Acadamy) award for the 'Best Actress in the comic category' in 2008. Here she says, "I love awards. It's like recognition of your work. Also, it motivates you to work harder and better. I want my room filled with awards." Finally on a parting note, she says, "I owe my success to the audience, and I want to thank them for accepting me and showering me with their love and affection."

Source : http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/TV_Buzz/I_want_my_room_filled_with_awards_/articleshow/3942891.cms
Edited by ishan.k - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pisces25 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Thankzz for the article she seems so down to earth i love her.
scorpio-girl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
shes the best actress when it come to comedy! so true!
Ishan. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
I agree, she makes us laugh so much. !!!
She is really the best actor in TMKOC !!!