Asian Shows

[Tutorial] - How to watch soft subs!

sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago

I've been meaning to post this tutorial for a while since there really isn't a good source on how to watch soft subs (atleast not one that I can fully understand, or makes things very simple)....anyway, this tutorial is made by me and I hope those who can't find hardsubbed episodes of dramas can watch some drama who only have soft subs available!

Okay, lets begin:

Terminology

Softsubs are..... subs that are in a seperate file. The are not on the actual video, they must be downloaded seperately.

Hardsubs are .....
subs that have been encoded into the video file itself. Meaning, the softsubs themselves were taken and pretty much synced with the video and then the video was re-saved into a hardsub file. (This is mostly what you watch if you watch shows with subtitles already on them)

Step 1:
Download the video file.
In order to watch the subtitles, you must find a RAW video file and download it. You can use this using torrents or using other websites which provide raw video files.
For example: aja-aja.com

Step 2:
Download VLC Media Player
You can download it for free here
*Note: There are other ways to watch soft subs but I have found that VLC Player is the easiet and works best with almost any video file

Step 3:
Download the soft subs
Some sub teams will provide soft subs while others will only hardsub. I am assuming that if you're reading this tutorial, you have already found soft subs.
Soft subs for most dramas can be found at www.d-addicts.com

Step 4:
Find where you saved both your raw video file and your soft subs.
Put them both in the same file or location and also give them the same name.

For example:
BOFepisode7.avi
BOFepisode7.srt

Step 5:
Open up VLC Media Player
Go to FILE > OPEN FILE
Under the File TAB beside OPEN click "BROWSE"
Find your video and click OPEN
Check off the "USE A SUBTITLE FILE" and then click "BROWSE"
Find your soft sub file and click OPEN
*Remember, both will be named the same thing, but one will be a video file another a subtitle file
Click OK

Step 6:
Sit back, relax and enjoy the drama😊

~

The video should start playing immediately in the player.
If you find your subtitles are out of sync, either it means that the RAW file you downloaded was not the same file that was used to create the subtitles or you need to adjust the setting of the subtitle files. If you want to try adjusting the setting of the subtitles files, go back into
FILE> OPEN FILE
and click the "ADVANCED SETTING" button...
Play around with the "DELAY" settings to move the subtitles forward or back according to your problem.

~

Alternatively...you can watch soft subs in Windows Media Player....just make sure the video file and sub file are in the same location and named the same. Click on the video file and open it with Windows Media Player and the sub file should play automatically

If you find this tutorial confusing or there is any other problems, post here and I'll try and solve it using other methods of viewing soft subs. Again, I have only posted the method I find the easiest and less complicated in terms of downloading stuff😊

Khush
Edited by sweetsorrow18 - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shaz81 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks so much for the tips on were to find the raw and Subs very useful for me !!!!

Sharan XXX
Henna 786 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
great tutorial.. this also works if you want to burn it on DVD.. just burn the video and then subs separately and make sure they have the same title thats all 😃
lilmoonprincess thumbnail
you are a life saver

i can't wait to watch it!!

Thank you

one question.. does anyone know where i can find videos that are soft subs??

petticoat thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
thank you! that actually helps a lot..i always end up watching ahrdsubs only..coz i never knew how to work with soft subs