Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-KingAragorn- thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: roxthefox

Amazing post, Caro, and I wholeheartedly agree. There are a lot of loopholes within this new idea, andi t's going to be difficult to work around if. If anything, the DEV team should be working to tackle important issues that are tarnishing the environment of IF and the real cause of why substantial discussions aren't flourishing.

This is a DISCUSSION forum, for crissakes! It's bad enough that we're so restricted that we have to think twice before using the word 'hate' or risk the tomato pelt, or the DEV team running after us, that now we have to be told how to post, what to post and how much to post.

I'm here for discussions; not to be controlled.

Exactly!!! that sentence is 47 characters (with spaces) but it says everything I wanted to say!!!   👏
Edited by stingray - 14 years ago

My two cents:

Overall this forum may very well be shut down because frankly there's no use of it. Last time I checked the meaning of "discussion" in Oxford's dictionary, it stated "Identify issues and provide points for and/or against."
🤣 

IF may very well be unaware of the meaning or at least the kings and queens are fo sho!   

Let me suggest you a few tips before this place is fully deserted by the intellectual minds and is only left with ROFL'ers, LOL'ers, and MWAAAH'ers.

First I believe that if your intention is to have this forum carry scholarly discussions, be it positive or negative, then eliminate your biased moderators. It's not my fault that I am not best friends with them or text them on their cell phones 'xoxo' 24/7. I have a life you see.  I visit this place that has little or no sanity left to catch reviews, participate in discussions, or watch videos; not to find my future spouse.

Secondly, make the DEV team comprehend that a topic cannot be shut down because it highlights negative features of a character or episode. If you go back to the definition of discussion, then you will be able to view that discussion and debate value both the positive and negative features. Another aspect that I find absolutely comical is that many moderators have apparently perhaps forgotten that a show consists of fictional characters and not non fictional characters. Heheh. Once they comprehend that vital fact, then issues will begin to resolve automatically.

Thirdly, spamming should be your last concern. Since when did having 150 characters to a post qualify it to be scholarly? I tell you spammers are wise and they will end up adding only 3 other LOL's and ROFL's to meet the requirement.

Fourthly, you may very well hunt down all of the stalkers on IF that have indeed made this place 'haraam.' There may very well be a feature that exists on this place which can let members know how many anuties and Hannah Montana fans lurve them.  Actually I believe that if you tackle this conflict down, it will end up providing you better results than tackling the spammers down.

Lastly, freedom of expression is deprived from this website and some intellectual minds wouldn't mind at all if it's brought back.

I have sighted quite a few moderators who indeed attempt to resolve issues on IF and make it a memorable experience but the rest of the dim witted aunties, Hannah Montana lowers, and moderators who tend to believe they are God make this place suffocating.

Thanks!

I hope I didn't 'hurted' anyone's feelings now.

Edited by zainab25 - 14 years ago
petticoat thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
priya

I have a huge question!

I am an avi maker and I make avi of a particular show...
my avis have been reported for being "abusive"

maybe because  I do NOT make romantic avis... I make comic avis..

and the avi was just a clipped video of the show...doesnt it directly merit the statement that the scene of the show is abusive?

Iam not sure where I should table this concern

People reporting not because they think it is abusive but because they dislike the poster/post is not a valid reason!

I am not sure what can be done.. or who is incharge..if the AVI forum thinks the specific avi was abusive i will be glad to remove it...

but who controls the statement of defining if the avi is abusive or not? the avi forum? or the show forum?

SUGGESTION: something has to be done about people misusing the Report button! maybe warn them for abusing it unnecessarily :)

REASON FOR POSTING THIS IN THIS TOPIC: ABuse of IF rules is a bigger crime in my opinion than spamming..

thank u
Edited by carolinecj - 14 years ago
Originally posted by: carolinecj

SUGGESTION: something has to be done about people misusing the Report button! maybe warn them for abusing it unnecessarily :)

Truer words have never been spoken before.

I say that the DEV team should raise WL's for abusing the report button or even better, lets just eliminate those creatures from the whole of IF.

See, there are so many more vital issues floating around and poor spammers are picked on. They are harmless at this moment.
-KingAragorn- thumbnail
Originally posted by: HUMM

This is one very good feature to control spam posts. You guys can also enable image verification to prevent post padders. Image verification slows down replies.

You can also add a limit like 10-15 sec limit between each posts. :-)

If I think of some more ideas, will add later.

Twitter Fan? 😊  Are you a member of a Chat Club on IF? I think 10-15  sec limit would kill the chat clubs   

Originally posted by: Gur.N.cool

150 characters are too much.
sometimes we are playing games which require only one or two words.

The 150 rule should only apply to members who are tagged by the dev team as spammers.

Yeah that sounds great!!! 😊

Edited by stingray - 14 years ago
-Sharona- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i know i already agreed with the idea but i went to read it again and i agree with some stuff...like the tfs thing..it is annoying...love the idea of hall of fame and the like button..also the tagging a member with the spam thing but what i disagree on is 150 characters....i'm a siggy maker...people comment in my shop and i reply by telling them thank you/thank you for visiting/thank you for liking and other stuff...when i write ....i don't need 150 characters...so that means that in order to reply to ones who come to my shop...i should write them a whole essay...doesn't make sense...it would be better if you keep 150 character for the ones who have been tagged as spammers not for every member...because it will be hard
divyankat thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Ok, I fully agree to everything else EXCEPT the 150 characters limit!
I mean we could mean million things in less than 150 characters!!!
Please don't do that, ppl will hardly post again!
pksanam thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: stingray

Exactly!!! that sentence is 47 characters (with spaces) but it says everything I wanted to say!!!   👏

well said, roxthefox... and i do agree...!!

with all the restrictions, it is almost impossible to post what you really want to post... as it is, this whole scenario is sounding a bit 'impossible' to be implemented in a positive way... and i thought about it... and sometimes, it is impossible to even say something in 30 characters... what if you just want to state your opinion that you liked a certain picture... or something like that... how can you say that in more than 30 characters...?

by all means, do limit posts that are only 5 to 10 characters or t4s or thanks post... like you have a system whereby somehow it automatically detects external links and changes the post... not sure how you'll do it but i'm sure you can come up with something...

however, roxy is right.. it beats the whole purpose of having a discussion forum when you can't even discuss properly...!!
roxthefox thumbnail
It would be better if this entire idea was scratched alltogether and the DEV team focused on tackling the real issues that are tarnishing the environment of IF.
lightjo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
its really annoying to see thanks post and look at all pages in a topic to really find out meaningful discussion.  but 150 characters are too much.  the main issue is that the so called spammers just type in 1 or 2 words to increase their number of posts to get a new rank as it is.  one solution could be that the rank is given in response of how much time a user spends on the forum and stop using the post counts.  there used to be an IF addict contest before so no new feature needs to be implemented.  Moderators could just monitor the amount of time spent on the forum and after a certain limit designate a new rank.  I think that could solve the problem of unnecessary posts.  I hope that the 150 character limit will not be imposed since this will really cause a block and many users might stop using the forum.  I participate in the games regularly and in most posts its just 1 or a few words nothing more so this could pose a problem there.  I thing i dont like is that when there are pictures or long messages, the quoting technique also uses a lot of space.  look at the iifa pictures for example so many users quote and express their feelings. it is good that users can express their emotions but it takes too long to see each and every pages and long long quotes.  i dont know what to suggest as a solution but maybe a quote limit!!!

Edited by lightjo - 14 years ago