The Half-Blood Prince: 40 Facts

Posted: 14 years ago
The Half-Blood Prince: 40 Facts

Here is a list of stuff you might not know about the latest film

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was directed by David Yates, who also did the fifth film.

2. Yates will also direct both instalments of the Deathly Hallows film, making him the most used director. Chris Columbus made two of the movies, with Alfonso Cuaron and Mike Newell shooting one apiece.

3. In the film, Harry begins to take private tutoring lessons with Dumbledore, who shows him various memories of young Voldemort.

4. Romance is a theme, with Harry drawn to Ginny Weasley and Ron attracting the attention of Lavender Brown.

5. Jessie Cave, who plays Lavender, beat more than 7000 girls to win the role. It is her first major film part.

6. Robert Knox, who plays Marcus Belby, was stabbed to death days after filming wrapped.

7. Hero Fiennes-Tiffin plays the young Voldemort/Tom Riddle. He is the nephew of Ralph Fiennes, who plays adult Voldemort/ Tom Riddle.

8. While Yates insists Fiennes-Tiffin did not get the role because of his uncle, he admits the family resemblance was "a clincher".

9. The new film marks the fifth and sixth actors to play Voldemort ? in The Philosopher's Stone, he was played by Richard Bremmer and Ian Hart; in Chamber of Secrets, he was portrayed by Christian Coulson; and the new film has Fiennes as the adult villain, with Fiennes-Tiffin and Frank Dillane playing the young and teen character.

10. Coulson had expressed an interest in returning as Voldemort, but Yates said, at age 30, he was too old.

11. JK Rowling read through the script for the film, finding a line where Dumbledore mentioned a girl he had a crush on when younger. She later informed the filmmakers that Dumbledore was gay.

12. According to Daniel Radcliffe (who had played Potter throughout), Sir Michael Gambon began "camping it up" on the set of the film when Dumbledore was outed by Rowling.

13. Dame Maggie Smith completed filming whilst undergoing treatment for breast cancer.

14. Guillermo del Toro reportedly turned down the chance to direct the film so he could work on Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

15. A full game of Quidditch returns ? there has not been a full game in the films since the second film.

16. Radcliffe said the Quidditch was the worst thing about making the movies.

17. Jim Broadbent debuts as Dumbledore's old friend, Horace Slughorn.

18. Broadbent arrived at the Potter set fresh from filming Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

19. Both he and Warwick Davis have appeared in the Potter franchise as well as The Chronicles of Narnia. Davis plays Professor Flitwick in Harry Potter and Nikabrik in Prince Caspian.

20. There are a number of changes from the book ? the climactic battle has been removed in order to avoid repetition with the forthcoming Deathly Hallows movies.

21.The collapse of a Muggle bridge briefly mentioned in the book serves as the film's opening sequence.

22. The book sold nine million copies in the first 24 hours after its release, a record eventually broken by its sequel.

23. The last four books have consecutively set records as the fastest sellers in history.

24. Along with merchandise, the Potter brand is worth an estimated 7-billion.

25. Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley, recently admitted to having a crush on Emma Watson, who plays Hermione Granger.

26.The Half-Blood Prince was originally due for release last November, but was bumped to July to take advantage of an open summer weekend.

27. Warner Bros studio executives received hate mail and death threats because of the decision to postpone it.

28. Test screenings in March left fans feeling flat, as they argued it contained "pointless" scenes and missed out many crucial characters and plot lines.

29. Sir Michael Gambon, who plays Dumbledore, became a father last month at the age of 68.

30. Radcliffe compared the sixth Hogwarts instalment to Scottish drug movie Trainspotting, arguing: "There's a fair amount of sexual energy and there are some drug parallels."

31. The first five films became the highest grossing series of all time when not adjusted for inflation, with 4.48 billion in worldwide receipts, although this has since been overtaken by the James Bond franchise.

32. At 153 minutes (2 hours 33 minutes and 19 seconds) long, it is the third longest of the series so far, coming behind Chamber of Secrets (161) and Goblet of Fire (157).

33. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the franchise's first theme park, will be opened in 2010 as part of Universal's Island of Adventure in Orlando, Florida.

34. They may be sworn enemies in the series, but Radcliffe counts Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as one of his really good friends.

35. Helena Bonham Carter, who plays Bellatrix Lestrange, appeared in Sweeney Todd with Alan Rickman (Snape) and Timothy Spall (Wormtail).

36. Jamie Campbell Bower, who appeared in Sweeney Todd, had hoped to get cast for Half-Blood Prince, but instead appears in the Deathly Hallows film as the young Gellert Grindelwald.

37. Rickman, Spall and Bonham Carter are all set to appear in Tim Burton's forthcoming Alice in Wonderland.

38. Fiennes performed alongside Broadbent in 1998's The Avengers.

39. Grint starred in the 2006 British comedy drama Driving Lessons, which focused on his relationship with Julie Walters. Walters plays Grint's mother, Molly Weasley, in the Potter films.

40. Dame Maggie Smith and Sir Michael Gambon starred together in Gosford Park. ? 2009 The Sunday Telegraph

Edited by divyalrl - 14 years ago
maggie smith..breast cancer..WOW!

Tfs interesting :)

When did Rupert admit he had a crush on Emma?
And hope Maggie Smith is better now
Thanks for sharing the info...!!!!

Thanks 4 tha info
i watch this movie half blooded prince
it 2 gd
i loved it
can't wait for tha last 1
i can't believe they r open a
theme part for harry potter
i must go there
jas
thanks again 4 tha info
ALAN RICKMAN'S IN ALICE IN WONDERLAND TOOOO!

OMG THAT IS GOING TO BE EVEN MORE AWESOME.

Johnny Depp, Anne Hatheway, Alan Rickman and so many more :DD
omg lol what? He admitted to having a crush on her??!! Then what was all that about feeling like it was incest (when they were filming the kiss scene), kinda weird lol:P
[The Half-Blood Prince: 40 Facts

Thank you for the article!๐Ÿ‘My Views๐Ÿ˜ƒ:

"10. Coulson had expressed an interest in returning as Voldemort, but Yates said, at age 30, he was too old. "^^^I thought both teenage Tom Riddle suited the part but I dislike change....I would have liked to see the 30-year-old Coulson....but the current young man was also exceptionally brilliant!๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

"11. JK Rowling read through the script for the film, finding a line where Dumbledore mentioned a girl he had a crush on when younger. She later informed the filmmakers that Dumbledore was gay. "^^^LOL!!Looks like they weren't familiar with the last book!!The MOST important in the series!!!!

"14. Guillermo del Toro reportedly turned down the chance to direct the film so he could work on Hellboy II: The Golden Army."^^^WOW!!This is a first!!!*confused...flabbergasted*๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿคข

"15. A full game of Quidditch returns ? there has not been a full game in the films since the second film. "^^^I miss Quidditch๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

"16. Radcliffe said the Quidditch was the worst thing about making the movies. "^^One of the BEST things about the movies was the worst to film...how ironic....๐Ÿคข

"20. There are a number of changes from the book ? the climactic battle has been removed in order to avoid repetition with the forthcoming Deathly Hallows movies. "^^^Many were disappointed that there was no fight scene....let's admit,they are some of the BEST scenes in the movies....but I am equally excited for the fight scenes yet to come in the last two installments

"25. Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley, recently admitted to having a crush on Emma Watson, who plays Hermione Granger. "^^^First he says "She is nothing more than a sister to me!" and now this...lol!Make up your mind, Rupert!๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

"34. They may be sworn enemies in the series, but Radcliffe counts Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as one of his really good friends. "^^^Aww....so sweet!!๐Ÿ˜ณI also believe Tom is a sweet guy...I love him!๐Ÿ‘

Tanu

Originally posted by -Navi

ALAN RICKMAN'S IN ALICE IN WONDERLAND TOOOO!

OMG THAT IS GOING TO BE EVEN MORE AWESOME.

Johnny Depp, Anne Hatheway, Alan Rickman and so many more :DD
yeah too exciting right and yeah navi wanted to ask you if you saw the trailer of alice in wonderland ???
too good and jhonny looks so funny.
Originally posted by VirgoVixen

omg lol what? He admitted to having a crush on her??!! Then what was all that about feeling like it was incest (when they were filming the kiss scene), kinda weird lol:P
well yeah he seems like so confused right?