Chhoti Bahu - Sawar Ke Rang Rachi

FF- A Silent Song (Pt 55; Pg56 on Sep 13)

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
She hated every minute being married. All those dreams, all that talent, everything washed down the drain, in the shower as she sobbed into the waters as she had to put on her happy face for the family. Thank God, her husband did not want this to be a true marriage. She was happy not to have to deal with the emotions or the demands that came with it.

"Amma, please", she had pleaded. "I do not want to marry. I want to become a playback singer. Masterji tells me that he will put me in touch with his student in Mumbai who has made it big in the film industry."

Amma had replied sadly, "Vishaka, we sent you for music lessons so that you could sing for Bhagwan, not for people. Why do you need the accolades and praise, dear? Can't you sing here at the temple and be happy? Why do you want to sell this beautiful music for money and fame?"

"Amma, it is not about money and fame. It is about my talent and its expression. It is about the reason why I am on this planet. Masterji has told me several times how people feel good when they listen to my voice. He says there is something in my voice that makes people forget their pains. And in the process money will not hurt. I would like to take care of you and Babuji. How many more years can Babuji depend on this paltry salary from the temple? You have no son to take care of you. How can you not let me follow my swadharma?

"Darling child, we are not in a position to afford to send you across the country, to unknown living conditions- neither economically nor socially. Being a priest's daughter has its own burden to bear. Please quit this madness and settle down. We have some very good alliances coming for you. They love your beauty and musical talent."

Being the dutiful daughter that she was, she had consented to the wedding. Unfortunately, her in laws were even more conservative than her parents. They had made it more than clear to her the day after the wedding that she could no longer attend music lessons either.

Then the nightmares had begun. She felt someone throttling her and squeezing her throat. She became sad and depressed and stopped singing altogether. The very sight of a tanpura made her shake violently and made her cry. She closed the windows tight when they played religious music on the rented audio system in the near by colony.

She stepped out of the shower and got out to go through the motions of yet another meaningless, mournfully silent day. She did not have to speak to anyone. Everyone and everything worked like clockwork at the Prohits'. Everyone knew what they had to do and when.

Her husband, in name only, who also had never wanted to be married, met up with her outside her room and they proceeded downstairs for breakfast. The cook had made the usual fare and Vishaka proceeded to the puja room to light the lamp and do the morning aarti and water the tulsi plant before she joined the rest of the family for breakfast.

Dadi commented on her wan looks wondering if all was well. Vishaka nodded silently, letting the remark pass. They were nice people, just way too medieval for her tastes. They lived in a world that had no bearing to the 21st century outside their 2 feet thick walls.

It had been 6 months since she had become the daughter in law of the illustrious Prohits who wanted to tie down their son to a "good" girl from India before he married the "wrong" sort and brought her home. Dev had confessed to her, prior to their wedding, that he was already in love with a girl he had met in the US and she was not good enough for his parents as she was of questionable pedigree and she was half Indian.

Vishaka stared unfocussed somewhere between the paratha and the plate and wondered how she could resolve this situation. She was tired with herself and her depression. She hated herself for feeling so blue. Once more, she resolved that she will turn herself around and force herself to sing. But the same old dread caught up from the pit of her stomach and wound its way up until it squeezed her throat dry.

She silently rose from the table and went to the kitchen to check on supplies and proceeded to her room. On the way, Maji stopped her and suggested she accompany her to a temple that afternoon to finalize the details for an upcoming week long festival that was sponsored annually by the Prohit Trust.

She assented and collected her bag from her room and proceeded to drive Maji to the temple. She went to the temple office with Maji, awaiting the head priest when she heard someone clear his throat. She looked up and was startled to see Keshav sitting at the nearby table. Keshav had been the star student of Masterji. He had a voice that rivaled Sonu Nigam in sweetness and Kishor Kumar in strength. Vshaka was in love with his voice.

Tell me folks- should I proceed or stop?

Edited by blokes - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gauranitai thumbnail
Great!!!!!!!!! For a change someone shows Vish's troubled life. Keep going.
rkath thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
of course you should continue
it has a very different take
so dev and vishaka are married
but they dont want to be
cant wait to read on
cont soon

raji
anukapoor thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Blokes please do continue..........
radev24 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Now, this is something I would love to continue reading, and reading and reading !!!!  Pahle to thoda doubt tha, but now me sure we  come from two different  planets  !!!!!!!!   Bachhon wali mammy hone ke bavjood you have all this time in your hand, my my !!! 

Your angle is much in tune with a storyline that somehow makes a whole lot of sense to my way of thinking, if you know what I mean, and I know you do !!!!  Kya baat hai, maaaan  !!!!

If creatives read it, and pray they do, unke to hosh thikane ho jayenge !!!! 

Like PW thread, bet it's your turn  now to compete with  my fav Antakshari ka dhamaakedar thread  !!

Shuru ho jao, M, u have kanha's blessings and your buddies support  !!!!

Til soon,

~ P ~
sanafsha thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
nice... wow.. so in this story, maybe vish n keshav will be pairing up.. great.. continue...
-RushTrip- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
hi

good stuff...i like the angle you have pursued.

everyone loves radhika and dev and yes would not want to see them as the villains...but like the fact that you want to bring in vishaka's side of the story as well...

pls continue..would love see this develop.

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
part 2

Keshav stood up and walked to the couch Vishaka was sitting on. Seeing him approach, Maji raised her eyebrows wondering who this young man was. Vishaka introduced him to her and sunk back into her silence. Keshav was thrilled to see her after so many years and enthused, "Vish, kaisi ho? I just couldn't believe it when I saw you enter the room. How many years has it been, 4-5? What have you been up to? How are your parents? What are you doing here today?"

Vishaka kept staring at nothing specifically between the floor and the center table. Keshav continued, "Arre, cat got your tongue? Where is my Vish? She would not let anyone else talk even a word! And here I am, talking and not a word from you? Hua kya, Vish?"

At this, Maji stared at him hautily and said in her steely cold voice, " Suno beta, I do not know what relationship you had with my bahu (daughter in law). I want you to be aware of the fact that Vishaka is the Prohit khandan's (family) Bahu and she has a very important position in society. So, whether you knew her 5 years ago or not, today, I request that you learn to keep your distance. The bahus of our khandan do not talk to gair mard (unrelated men). Kindly keep your questions to yourself."

Keshav was taken aback and turned to look at her. "Maji, Vishaka is like a sister to me. We go back from the time we were little. We learned music from the same Guru and grew up together. I was glad that I was 4 years her senior and never competed against her in any school singing contest as we were always in different age categories. I am so glad that she is your bahu. I never even knew she had gotten married! Please forgive me if I appeared too forward."

Maji climbed down her high horse and gave him a tentative smile. "Sorry beta, I tend to be overly protective of my bahu as she is so shy. She rarely speaks. I did not want her to feel overwhelmed by your presence." Turning to Vishaka she continued, " Beta, aren't you glad to see your mooh boli bhai? How come I never knew about his existence until now? Why was he not invited to your wedding?"

Vishaka blankly looked at Maji and opened her mouth to speak but felt her mouth was too dry to coax out any sound. So, with some effort, she swallowed hard and hesitated, "Maji, K-Keshav and I have known each other for most of our lives. He left for Mumbai 5 years ago and has become a famous singing sensation, singing in films. We did not want to bother him with the news of my wedding. We were sure that he would come to know of it through Masterji or someone."

"That is not fair, Vish. All you had to do was even let Masterji tell me about your wedding and I would have come. How can I call myself a brother if I did not even know when my sis got married. Yes, life is very hectic in Mumbai but not so busy that I cannot carve some time out for my own little sis," and winks at her.

Vishaka could not help but crack a smile remembering the effect his voice always had on her, even when she was young. There was a sunshine in it that made even the most serious person open up to its warmth. She shyly looked at him from under her lashes and told him a simple sorry. She updated him on her wedding with Dev and her moving to Delhi after the wedding.

Both of them asked at the same time, 'What are you doing here?" and burst out laughing. maji was thrilled to see that sound emit from Vishaka. She had never heard any sound, especially joyful ones. She looked at Keshav with an idea germinating slowly. She wanted this young man, with the kind smile and a most beautiful voice to come home and get her bahu out of her doldrums.

Keshav explained how he was invited to sing for the upcoming festival and he had come to negotiate the contract and finalize the program and rehearse. Maji was thrilled to hear that. She told him how it was their trust that sponsored the show and she was happy to have met him.

"Kahan tehre ho beta (where r u staying)," she asked.

"At a near by hotel, Maji," he replied.

" No more. You check out and come right home. we have a huge house and many rooms that are kept locked. Na nahin sunoongi. Ma ke aagnya samaj ke aajao.(mom''s orders, no no's)."

" Ji, Maji," grinned Keshav and winked at Vishaka once more.

Vishaka was thrilled to know that Keshav would be coming home and yet was filled with dread. Keshav meant music and music was something she was not ready to face right now. She needed her time to confront her devils, whatever they were.
Edited by blokes - 14 years ago
rkath thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
aww feel sorry for vishaka
maybe she will start singing again with keshav around
cant wait to read more
cont soon

raji
radev24 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Hi M, the story is proceeding very smoothly and nicely. Seems you've had soft touch for Vish right from the beginning to come up with this storyline which highlights the problems this CB faces, as opposed to tez tarrar fake CB Vish. Sawal ye uthta hai is whether you have your own reasons swirling in your mind to portray a meek, shy, humble kind of Vish. 

I  also like Kesh angle as a bro, so maji can relax and bahu ko thodi azaadi mil sake. Who knows coming to temple is a good sign since masterji's sonu-like singer also happens to be there. Wonder if there's going to be a kanha in your story, but I was going to say.... who knows kanha bhi yehi chhahte  hon ki dono ki phir se mulaqat karana zaroori hai.... Interesting that here also Dev is ajnabee to her, for different set of circumstances, etc.

The playback singer wala idea is right up my alley, which is what attracted me when I read part 1... I mean, this is genius to be able to write like this..... (Send me an autographed copy when your next book  is published !!!)

Somehow I get the feeling (sixth sense ?!) that parts of the story may have actually happened in someone's life, someone you personally know..... just a hunch...... no worry.......

Yaar, do continue.....

~ P ~