Debate Mansion

Women equal rights vs Women Reservation - Page 6

sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Its not only about respect RTH there r many who get admission and job from reservation but believe me even after SO CALLED reservation they fail to perform well . I think give everyone equal opportunity and then give deserving one a chance .

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

But why not just focus on anti-discrimination laws. You prevent corruption as well as prevent the situation where a rural business picks a less qualified guy over a woman. With reservation - you are putting twice the amount of effort with half the result.

But how does it make women self reliant? How will it gain women the respect she deserves in the workplace? How will she know if she got the job on merit or not? How will she know where she stands competitively?

[/QUOTE]

women put extra efforts in order to get educated in india specially rural parts and that till graduation level and above. so y not make things easier for them at least at the job front?
making girls financially independent instill confidence in them. has the status of women not grown after they have started working? self reliant women automatically gain respect from their families and people around them. they r no longer dependent on them and can easily revolt if not treated properly.
as far as treatment in offices is concerned, we now also hear cases of abuse in offices.there should be law against this too. so i think its just a matter of time.
and i am not even saying to have it forever but till the time when most girls r educated and self reliant and also enjoy the same status as men do.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

women put extra efforts in order to get educated in india specially rural parts and that till graduation level and above. so y not make things easier for them at least at the job front?
making girls financially independent instill confidence in them. has the status of women not grown after they have started working? self reliant women automatically gain respect from their families and people around them. Self reliant women make it on their own. They do not need reservation. Reservation means that people are unable to sustain on their own. Just like some African American people like Oprah have made it to the top from scratch completely on their own - self reliant people can do it without reservation. they r no longer dependent on them and can easily revolt if not treated properly.
as far as treatment in offices is concerned, we now also hear cases of abuse in offices.there should be law against this too. so i think its just a matter of time.
and i am not even saying to have it forever but till the time when most girls r educated and self reliant and also enjoy the same status as men do.

Self reliant women make it on their own. They do not need reservation. Reservation means that people are unable to sustain on their own. Just like some African American people like Oprah have made it to the top from scratch completely on their own - self reliant people can do it without reservation.

ya they made it. and they r really a handful of people who can pave their way when the wind is against them, rest generally give up and wreck. one is not born self reliant. they r to be made self reliant. y is reservation given? bcoz there was discrimination against them. same with women.

with this i am out of this debate now. i think i have beaten this topic to death single handedly. i dont think i can come up with any more points in favour of reservation. and i still maintain its vital.

Edited by angelic_devil - 14 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
whoa... this thread has really prog fast ! some interesting views here. hmm sandya seems to B the only person supporting reservation so far. will get back with my own views .
This content was originally posted by: souro

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

Actually, everyone here - male or female - is saying the same thing. Instead of reservation, can we not try to change the laws and mindset of few of those individuals who looks down to another human being based on his/her gender? For how long would the reservation policy work? Up to a certain level, and then, girls/women would again fall backwards due to the bigotry they would face later. Looking back at history, we can see that none of it worked - not for a long time, at lest.  On the other hand, if existing laws that differentiate between sexes, and the way of thinking amongst the public could be changed, you are going to help/support the entire female population for the rest of their life. The reservation policy is going to be counter-productive than what one is trying to achieve.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago
*Edited* to avoid sparks.
This content was originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

*Edited* to avoid sparks.

"😒flat face"
*Double post*
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

But why not just focus on anti-discrimination laws. You prevent corruption as well as prevent the situation where a rural business picks a less qualified guy over a woman.

unfortunately tackling corruption is a much bigger challenge  & certainly not in the interest of most politicians  they have to think about various obligations that they owe to other ppl who helped them during elections etc  So merit be damned !

With reservation - you are putting twice the amount of effort with half the result.

But how does it make women self reliant?

reservation in jobs wud help to ensure jobs & thus financial empowerment leading to self reliance

How will it gain women the respect she deserves in the workplace? Respect isnt the main  issue here as its often lacking at homefront too

How will she know if she got the job on merit or not? most of them wudnt care .  

How will she know where she stands competitively?

competition is not the issue where mere survival is a big issue

giving reservation to these rural women wud make them taste the power & inspire them to retain it. I think there lies the crux. But again if contd for long it wud have the opp effect – making women complacent. So I wud say timebound reservation for now !