Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

My first reaction to reservation is that it seems quite unfair to those kept out of it. On closer look I have to think why did the need for reservation arise in the first place. The demand actually had been for equality & not for reservation. As history shows, the politicians obviously find it easier to implement reservations  than to ensure equality or level playing ground for everyone though that is what should have been the objective. Perhaps b coz changing prevailing mindset is more challenging than to pass legislation in favour of reservation. So our govt has taken the easier path like it did in the past.

Reservation at best, is a temporary solution & should not be carried on indefinitely. While the govt has handed out reservation it also needs to work sincerely  on bringing about social change to provide a level playing field for everyone so that there is no need felt for any reservation. Incidents like female foeticides, bride burning, wife beatings, a dalit cook being removed from mid day meal schemes in favour of a Brahmin cook as school children refused to eat cook prepared by a dalit , so called lower caste ppl denied access to temples, young couples being butchered for intercaste marriages ought to be relegated to annals of history !

The govt cannot do anything alone without the active support of its people . So if we want to bring about equality we need to start implementing corrective changes in & around us. Do we have the courage to stand & oppose injustice when we see it ? If  the answer is yes, then we will soon have conditions where need for reservation wud  no longer be felt by women or any SC/ST/OBC/ PH. So its all upto us !

If the privileged class itself is cowed down with fear inspite of its convictions then what hope do we have for those already disadvantaged? Do we then even have the right to ask any group of disadvantaged ppl not to ask or wish for any reservation to better their conditions! I m sure given a choice between reservation & a equal level playing field any self respecting person wud choose the later. But lets  provide an equal field first ! 

Having said that I as far as women vs men arguments are concerned,  I feel that women are meant for a  much more imp role than being a bread winner or job seeker. With a womans instincts for nuturing & natural intuitiveness she is much better endowed to bring stability , peace & progress in society. As an enlightened mother she can teach the right values to her children, who in turn will result into a better society, better nation & humanity.   All great civilizations have held the womenfolk in great respect. The Indian hist is full of examples of women who enjoyed gr8 power &  respect . they had access to  all luxuries & training. Foreign invasions brought about a great social upheaval & women started losing their rights & somehow considered as " weaker sex"   . To regain the glory  of our past we have to restore women full respect they enjoyed earlier . Women & men are ideally meant to complement each other instead of being at loggerheads !

Originally posted by: angie.4u

My first reaction to reservation is that it seems quite unfair to those kept out of it. On closer look I have to think why did the need for reservation arise in the first place. The demand actually had been for equality & not for reservation. As history shows, the politicians obviously find it easier to implement reservations  than to ensure equality or level playing ground for everyone though that is what should have been the objective. Perhaps b coz changing prevailing mindset is more challenging than to pass legislation in favour of reservation. So our govt has taken the easier path like it did in the past.

Reservation at best, is a temporary solution & should not be carried on indefinitely. While the govt has handed out reservation it also needs to work sincerely  on bringing about social change to provide a level playing field for everyone so that there is no need felt for any reservation. Incidents like female foeticides, bride burning, wife beatings, a dalit cook being removed from mid day meal schemes in favour of a Brahmin cook as school children refused to eat cook prepared by a dalit , so called lower caste ppl denied access to temples, young couples being butchered for intercaste marriages ought to be relegated to annals of history !

The govt cannot do anything alone without the active support of its people . So if we want to bring about equality we need to start implementing corrective changes in & around us. Do we have the courage to stand & oppose injustice when we see it ? If  the answer is yes, then we will soon have conditions where need for reservation wud  no longer be felt by women or any SC/ST/OBC/ PH. So its all upto us !

If the privileged class itself is cowed down with fear inspite of its convictions then what hope do we have for those already disadvantaged? Do we then even have the right to ask any group of disadvantaged ppl not to ask or wish for any reservation to better their conditions! I m sure given a choice between reservation & a equal level playing field any self respecting person wud choose the later. But lets  provide an equal field first ! 

Having said that I as far as women vs men arguments are concerned,  I feel that women are meant for a  much more imp role than being a bread winner or job seeker. With a womans instincts for nuturing & natural intuitiveness she is much better endowed to bring stability , peace & progress in society. As an enlightened mother she can teach the right values to her children, who in turn will result into a better society, better nation & humanity.   All great civilizations have held the womenfolk in great respect. The Indian hist is full of examples of women who enjoyed gr8 power &  respect . they had access to  all luxuries & training. Foreign invasions brought about a great social upheaval & women started losing their rights & somehow considered as " weaker sex"   . To regain the glory  of our past we have to restore women full respect they enjoyed earlier . Women & men are ideally meant to complement each other instead of being at loggerheads !

👏 beautiful post. when u said that u would be coming back with a reply i thought u would have forgotten after so many days. u have put for ward the views in such a beautiful way that i can never ever do. i am actually too rude for that. 🤢  but what a use of words. i simply loved it.

giving reservation to these rural women wud make them taste the power & inspire them to retain it. I think there lies the crux. But again if contd for long it wud have the opp effect ' making women complacent. So I wud say timebound reservation for now !

bingo!!!!!! 👍🏼
_Angie_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: angelic_devil

👏 beautiful post. when u said that u would be coming back with a reply i thought u would have forgotten after so many days. u have put for ward the views in such a beautiful way that i can never ever do. i am actually too rude for that. 🤢  but what a use of words. i simply loved it.

thanx sandya, 😃 had been wanting to post much earlier B4 the thread reached thise many pages  ,but cudnt manage to as I ve been very busy last few days due to renovation works ! Its gr8 👍🏼 the way  you ve
been handling it almost single handedly 😉. This issue seems to be something very close to ur heart 😊
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
womens reservation is just fine.. they should get some quota... i dont think guys are going to scream discrimination unless they find that the women turn out to be smarter.....the issue though is complicated-since reservation is provided to the weak.. its difficult for feminists to come to terms with that idea....and for women in general its a confusing situation... should I call myself weak and accept the reservation or just suffer the downside of not having it.. thats the dilemma most of the time.. but i am for all out reservation for women in India in all  walks of life.. they are way too important to our society....i think they have equal rights today....
Edited by qwertyesque - 14 years ago
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

giving reservation to these rural women wud make them taste the power & inspire them to retain it. I think there lies the crux. But again if contd for long it wud have the opp effect ' making women complacent. So I wud say timebound reservation for now !

Angie darling that exactly  government did few years back when they started reservation for SC/ST.It was started with the good intention because we wanted a development in all the section of the society and it was a good decision.It was  timebound reservation but now most of  the IAS and TOP officers children r enjoying this reservation .I seriously think this is not fair especially to the intelligent childern of middle class upper caste.Reservation affect only normal intelligent person it  doesn't affect genius or a duffer. If Government can guarantee timebound reservation then its ok BUT the FACT its its impossible to do so.

thanx sandya, 😃 had been wanting to post much earlier B4 the thread reached thise many pages  ,but cudnt manage to as I ve been very busy last few days due to renovation works ! Its gr8 👍🏼 the way  you ve
been handling it almost single handedly 😉. This issue seems to be something very close to ur heart 😊

thnx. actually anything related to discrimination with women and child abuse is close to my heart. but it was more bcoz some people thought over here that bcoz i am the only one supporting reservation, i am speaking all crap and they have the upper hand.
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

womens reservation is just fine.. they should get some quota... i dont think guys are going to scream discrimination unless they find that the women turn out to be smarter.....the issue though is complicated-since reservation is provided to the weak.. its difficult for feminists to come to terms with that idea....and for women in general its a confusing situation... should I call myself weak and accept the reservation or just suffer the downside of not having it.. thats the dilemma most of the time.. but i am for all out reservation for women in India in all  walks of life.. they are way too important to our society....i think they have equal rights today....

😃oh wow!!!!! u were the last person i was expecting this from. where have u been hiding till now. 😉😆
besides y should we have majority of men only in all the sectors.for any decision to be perfect for all,  women should also have a say in it like in parliament, bcoz  they are the best people to decide decide what is good for them. 👏
the bolded part is very true.

Edited by angelic_devil - 14 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: sonur15

Angie darling that exactly  government did few years back when they started reservation for SC/ST.It was started with the good intention because we wanted a development in all the section of the society and it was a good decision.It was  timebound reservation but now most of  the IAS and TOP officers children r enjoying this reservation .I seriously think this is not fair especially to the intelligent childern of middle class upper caste.Reservation affect only normal intelligent person it  doesn't affect genius or a duffer. If Government can guarantee timebound reservation then its ok BUT the FACT its its impossible to do so.

I agree with you Sonu, the SC/ST reservation is no longer reaching the ppl for whom it was meant. Its mostly being availed by those who have already achieved a good position in society by now. The problem here is that if the govt bars the "creamy layer " like it did for OBCs then the seats resrvd for SC/ST may go vacant due to lack of a suitable candidate. I feel that if a suitable candidate is not found say after 2-3 rounds of advt & interviews these seats must be turned over to the general candidate.

Actually it's the lower qualifying cut offs for the reserved candidates that is more worrying than reservation per se. Reservation by itself shouldn't be harmful but lowering qualifying marks means compromising with quality !Its better to provide coaching & training facilities & then let them compete & get at least the qualifying cut offs similar to other candidate even if seats are reserved.

As for time bound reservation I really don't think its impossible ! all it needs is a political will to do so. If our govt  has the will to really uplift these ppl it can do so by ensuring strict laws against discrimination on the basis of caste , religion or gender,  providing better educational facilities & exposure esp in far flung remote hilly areas as well as the rural places . Most of the schools there are a farce !!! No proper school buildings, no qualified or dedicated teachers , no books in time, no regular classes , no regular attendance, no inspiration & no motivation. With conditions such as these its little wonder that things havent improved even after so many years of independence. Besides, illiterate & ignorant ppl make good vote banks for politicians !

I agree with you Sonu, the SC/ST reservation is no longer reaching the ppl for whom it was meant. Its mostly being availed by those who have already achieved a good position in society by now. The problem here is that if the govt bars the "creamy layer " like it did for OBCs then the seats resrvd for SC/ST may go vacant due to lack of a suitable candidate. I feel that if a suitable candidate is not found say after 2-3 rounds of advt & interviews these seats must be turned over to the general candidate.

besides the reason why this reservation had started is not valid any more. they enjoy the same status as others do.