Pati Patni aur Woh

PPAW : Articles Corner No COMMENTS - Page 5

.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 14 years ago
February 03, 2004-Sify.com

'Even NASA cannot explain everything' 
By: Neha Mehta

An interview with Apoorva Agnihotri, who plays the male lead in Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin.
You disappeared from the public radar after Pardes, resurfacing only with Jassi. Where have you been?
After Pardes, I was in Kasoor, Pyar Koi Khel Nahin and a disaster called Dhund. But you didn't miss much if you didn't see me in them. When I started out, there was a lull in the industry because of Gulshan Kumar's death. Everyone wanted me to play an NRI. Plus, there was no one to guide me after my father's death.

Your dream role?
That of a vampire! I would hate to do a Devdas. I enjoy dark roles because I am this sweet guy in real life. I probably wouldn't want to be an out and out Ramsay devil but say like Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate.

Do you ever want to move behind the camera?
The supernatural fascinates me and when I am 40 plus, I want to make films on reincarnation. Three days before my father died, I dreamt that he was no more. That is supposed to be a good sign but I wonder whether it actually served as a warning. I saw a medium after his death. Even NASA cannot explain everything.

How do you cope with acting both for films and TV?
I think I manage fairly well. I shoot virtually all month round. Before Jassi, I worked very hard to get the lean look for a film. I then had to put on weight for TV. But the ice creams and milk shakes didn't add on the extra pounds because I was working all the time!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
January 16, 2003-Screen Weekly

Armaan Suri - YES BOSS
By: Sukanya Venkatraghavan

His film debut was almost faultless. Big banner, reputed director and established co-stars. But inspite of Pardes' success luck still eluded Apurva Agnihotri. Finally the show Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi where he plays the sauve and charming Armaan Suri, has lifted his fortunes as girls all over wish they were Armaan's secretary. A tete-a-tete with the goodlooking actor

Jassi... has happened when you were lying quite low.
Yes, the film offers were absolutely uninspiring. I think the Pardes hangover still continues because most of the roles that I was offered was of an NRI. They would come to me with visuals like, 'You will be coming down from London. The first shot is of you arriving at the airport'.. and so on. Every story sounded the same to me. As an actor I cringe from doing anything stereotypical. But Jassi... has been a suprise entry in my life. I had never really thought of television as a career option.

So how come you decided to foray into it?
I was initially confused when Tony and Deeya Singh approached me for the role of Armaan Suri in Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin. Television was an unknown territory for me. The approach and the scale is different, so is the working style. But when I heard the story and screenplay there was no more dilly-dallying with the decision. Anyone would have grabbed the role.

Did you watch the Columbian production to get a a feel of the character?
I watched bits of it. I wanted to play Armaan Suri my way, without any influence from other quarters. He should be my original design based on the sketch given to me. Hence I took care not to watch too much of the original show. And I must say that our directors have been amazing, guiding us and at the same time letting us innovate.

Can you identify with the character in anyway?
No. I don't rave and rant so much in real life. I am a softspoken guy. I am also an introvert and can't dream of chasing women with such fervour in real life. Not that I am not enjoying it on screen. (smiles)

Do you find it difficult to play someone you are not?
As an actor I should be able to excel in any role. I try and play it by the ear most of the time. I don't believe in rehearsing too much. I don't want to go for every shot with too many preconcieved notions. I like to leave room for improvisation. And as for playing someone I am not, I feel a good actor should be able to switch on and off from the character whenever needed. Once I am through with the shooting I don't let Armaan Suri come home with me.

Jassi Jaisi... is an amazing combination of the underdog and the people with power. Deep down we all want to be a bit of both'

How do you cope with this whole secrecy aspect surrounding the identity of Jassi? People must be plaguing you with questions.
Yes they do....

And?
Nothing. it doesn't bother me(grinning all the time)

Do you think it is the curiousity value that is keeping the interest levels pumped up?
To an extent yes. But more than that the basic storyline is very appealing. It is an amazing combination of the underdog and the people with power. Deep down we all want to be a bit of both.

Why do you think Jassi is falling in love with Armaan Suri?
Well, he is probably the only person who does not judge her on the basis of how she looks. He knows her worth and intelligence. Even though he might manipulate her to suit his schemes and plans, I think she feels there is a basic thread of trust between them.

So, does Jassi get the guy in the end?
You will have to wait and see.

Have you adjusted to the working ways of television?
The long hours can be taxing. But I am getting used to it. Doing television is more like a regular job with more or less fixed working hours. Sometimes it does get monotonous. But we have so much fun on the sets that no one is ever bored. But I realise I can't get complacent. Soap opera characters are constantly evolving so I can't afford to take it easy.

Do you think you are getting noticed now, because of the popularity of the show?
Yes indeed. I have signed some films, interesting projects and I have one film which is almost complete. It is with Ahmed Khan and revolves around a group of four guys. Be it television or films, I am here to stay. So I am ready to try out anything that comes my way and is good. I am not new to the indusry. My father Gyan Dev Agnihotri was a writer. He has worked with the likes of Basu Bhattacharya. You know when he was alive I was never really keen on joining films. But after he died somehow films seemed to be the natural path to take. I wanted my debut to be in a good film and thankfully it was. But I still have a long way to go.

So, are you going to be concentrating on Jassi...for the time being?
What I need to concentrate on, right now is sleep (grinning). I have been working almost round the clock. But seriously, yes Jassi...will always be special and she will get my full attention now (laughs). The show has given my career a new lease of life.
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
September 19, 2003-Cybernoon.com

He is SONY TELEVISION'S CHOSEN ONE!

How did Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin happen?
I got a call from Deeya (Singh) who was keen to sign me on for their (Tony & Deeya Singh) new project. I liked the subject immensely. Actually, even the channel was hot on me. That's how it all started.

Tell us about your character in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin.
I'm playing Armaan, an affluent guy, who experiences a change of heart for Jassi. The plot centres around Jassi, who hails from a middle-class family, and comes in contact with high falutin' people.

Did you ever imagine that you would get such a terrific response?
While shooting, I was happy with the way our project was shaping up. It's a simple subject that everyone can identify with. Touchwood, people have taken to it in a big way, which is evident from the stupendous TRPs. Plus, the fact that it's currently showing from Monday to Thursday on prime time at nine helps. I'm told the initial response has been unprecedented. Actually, it's adapted from the super-successful serial Yo Soy Beatty La Fea, which has been aired in 25 countries already. I believe it's currently running in Spain.

The TRPs are much higher than Sahara Television's Karishma, which has not evoked a favourable response. Is that flattering?
I'm not commenting on any other serial. It's not my prerogative to do so. Moreover, much has been written about it in the press already. But I'm happy that Jassi Jaissi... has kicked off well. I'm learning a lot. I'm confident it'll sustain.

Weren't you approached for Karishma too?
(A bit hesitantly) Yes, Akashdeep had called me. But, at that stage, I wasn't ready for the medium. Besides, the serial is focussed on Karisma Kapoor. I thought I'd get lost in the flood of men cast in the serial. I felt bad turning down the offer, but he was kind and understanding.

Your recent film Dhund: The Fog with Amar Upadhyay didn't fare well. Comment.
The fault lay in the marketing of the film and its music. We had a decent product on hand, and the horror genre was in. With greater visibility, we might have pulled through.

How does it feel to be launched by Subhash Ghai?
Of course, I'll always be indebted to Mr. Ghai for giving me a good launch in Pardes. We continue to share a great rapport. I'm particularly fond of his wife, who has been extremely caring and warm to me. Needless to add, I'll be happy to work with Subhashji again.

What about your next film?
 It's with Ahmed (Khan) and with several other actors. I'm excited about it. It's shaped up well.

We hear that you are doing an English film Echoes  as well?
I'll talk about it in due course of time.

What's happening in your personal life?
(Laughs) Nothing. I'm single at the moment. I'm still young, and haven't found the right partner yet.

.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
May 12, 2005-The Times of India: Kanpur Times

Excerpt: TV's hot males
By: Manisha Almadi

Apoorva Agnihotri aka Armaan Sir of Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin

Loved for: His chocolate boy looks and vulnerability
Hated for: Ignoring the bespectacled Jassi
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
March 18, 2005-Yahoo India: Entertainment News

By The hitList Team

Armaan Sir's coffee break

Apoorva AgnihotriLunchtime is apparently coffee time for Apoorva Agnihotri, otherwise known as Jassi's Armaan Sir. We spotted him the other afternoon walking towards a coffee hangout at Versova.
Chatting away with a friend, he preferred to sit in the heat in the outdoor caf Uinstead of the air-conditioned interiors. He placed the order himself at the self-service outlet and seemed extremely relaxed while enjoying his cuppa.
Beginning an extremely hot day with a warm cuppa java, we like Apoorva's style. Now that he has begun warming up to Jassi on the show, Armaan certainly needs to make himself warm and available!
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
February 2005

Apoorva Agnihotri on Valentines' Day

"Valentine's day gives you the opportunity to be really vocal about your feeling for someone who's ignited that spark in you. At other times in the year, you are a little restrained because there's no way you can suddenly go to her and blurt out, 'I love you, I really do.' But on this day you can do that knowing that she'll take it in the right spirit and if she feels the same way about you it'll make her feel on top of the world. Well, that's what I'm planning to do this Valentine's day. Say 'I love you' in all the ways I know and make her day, I hope."
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
***In September 2003 Sony Entertainment Television first aired its primetime serialJassi Jaissi Koi Nahin starring Mona Singh (playing Jassi Walia) and Apoorva (playing Armaan Suri) in lead roles.  Supporting actors in the cast included Parmeet Sethi (of DDLJ fame), Rakshanda Khan, and Manini De (now Manini Mishra).  The show produced by DJ's Creative-Deeya and Tony Singh-ran successfully with the lead pair enjoying the fame of being one of Indian Television's all time best lead pair.  Apoorva has won over the hearts of millions all over the world with his fabulous portrayal ofthe character Armaan Suri.  He has throughout the span of the show gone from playing an arrogant casanova to a man who understands the true meaning of love as well as the importance of living life with a set of values.  Viewers and critics alike have applauded his performance as he excelled in the role until the end.***
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
***After taking a much need break post Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin...Apoorva has returned on Sony with Kaajjal starring Apoorva (playing Dev Pratap Singh) and Surveen Chawla (Kaajjal) in lead roles.  Rati Agnihotri of 'Ek Dujhe Ke Liye' fame is playing Apoorva's mother on the show.  While the show has not been received as well as Apoorva's previous venture---Apoorva is stealing the limelight with another fantastic performance.***
.StarryPhoenix thumbnail
Shilpa and Apoorva Agnihotri in Pati, Patni Aur Woh with 'their' kids
On September 28, NDTV Imagine begins a new chapter in the history of reality shows with Pati, Patni Aur Woh.

The show takes you inside the homes of five celeb couples to check their compatibility and their ability to deal with the demands of an infant, 24X7. A much in love couple married for over five years, Shilpa and Apoorva Agnihotri were ready and confident to take on biggest responsibility in life – that of becoming parents and taking care of a baby! They would be completely on their own, without any maids or nannies to help them. And every move of theirs would be captured.

But all hell broke loose when the production house handed over twins Eashaan and Ayaan to the couple. From feeding to changing diapers, and from giving them a bath to doing a maalish, Apoorva and Shilpa were on their toes all the time. Apoorva, who has always lived his life kingsize and has never contributed to any household work, was doing everything that he could to take care of the babies which definitely was a relief for Shilpa. Will the couple survive these difficult task or will the hardships break their strong bond? Tune in to Pati, Patni Aur Woh from September 28, Monday to Friday at 10.30 pm, on NDTV Imagine.
-Yuks- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

**Accidental Post**

Edited by queenyuks - 14 years ago