Book Talk

Discussion: Books that Inspired You!

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Well, here I am presenting the ...

This time around we are discussing the books that inspired us, the books that moved us.  They don't have to be inspirational books written for that purpose only.  But also the regular books that moved us, the passages that made us cry.

Can you think of some books that inspired you, moved you?

What especially in those books/passages touched your heart? Did you like the theme, feelings, the characters, the way something was said?

Did you learn something particular from those books? Did you end up making some changes in your life/habits after reading it?
Any additional comments are always welcome!

Enjoy discussing!  

***If you like this discussion, please press the LIKE button, that's how I'll keep track of what you all want.  If most of you don't like it, then we will avoid similar discussions in the future.***

Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Hmmm.... Probably A Child Called "It". It was so heart-breaking and emotional... :'(
innocentdevil. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Agree with above.

I thought that was one of the most emotional books ever. I'm not really the whole "Oh my this person has the heart of gold i should do he same as he/she did." No, that's not me at all. But this book really touched me.

I think after reading the story i was so shocked a person like his mother can do such a thing that i thanked god I got so lucky with parents like mines.

Yes a Child Called "It" was very touching.
aish_punk thumbnail
 Can you think of some books that inspired you, moved you?
Well they touched me but did'nt inspire me to go the same way!..one book is Daddy by Danielle Steel and the other one the Zahir by Paulo Coelho 
What especially in those books/passages touched your heart? Did you like the theme, feelings, the characters, the way something was said?
In Daddy - when the mother left her children it was really heartbreaking. I really loved the way the dad tries to manage his children ..though they all fall out..they come together in the end!
In the Zahir - i think when the guy who the author's wife had met Mikhail tells the story of his childhood. He really appealed to me.

Did you learn something particular from those books? Did you end up making some changes in your life/habits after reading it?
Hmm no there was nothing SO bad in those books. By bad i mean that they did'nt have to go through someting really bad! They described it in a fine way.

Nice discussion...

-Aish
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I've read alot of books that can inspire you. Two that come to mind immediately are "The Monk who sold his Ferrari" and "The Last lecture."

The Last lecture I really loved, because it just made me understand that being a good person doesn't mean that bad stuff can;t happen to you. It also though me that even though you may see "brick walls", they are there for a reason and to never give up on your dreams. The passage or rather that touched me the most was when the author was talking about how he tried to be a great uncle to his neice and nephew and he hoped that after he had died he hoped they would be such great role models to his children and he was to them. Makes me cry everytime I read that!

There are countless other instances that makes you tear up in that book, but that is the one that breaks my heart the most.

The second book is The monk who sold his Ferrari. This book really made me realize that I have total control in making myself happy. I have all the power in me to inspire myself and motivate myself. It shows me that by simply looking and changing simple things in my life, I could make a difference in my outlook.

Those two books are supposed to be "inspirational' books, however there are certain novels that have the same effect too.  To Kill a Mockingbird is one such example and also Autobiographies inspire me as well.
cool_yv thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Well ALCHEMIST & ELEVEN MINUTES are the book that inspired me a lot...
To be honest i was too deep in depression few month back after my break up but this two book taught magic in my life i am extremely thankful to Paulo Coelho..
missmhow thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
the alchemist by paulo coelho..inspired me the most.i liekd every thing in that book..it can lift up depressed moods.i loved the characters and learnt a lot fm their journey..ythe language was simple and straight froward and touched my heart deeply.. another one is "the prophet"by kahlil gibraan.in my opeinoin its out of this world.its incredible for a human mind to have such clear and deep spiritual knowledge.i particularly loved the part where the author advises about children and parenting...
'autobiography of a yogi' by ypgananda paramahansa...another one of my favorites..its about the yogi's own experiences and learnings...
vijaysub thumbnail
a book that has inspired me, I would say it was 'The Story of My Experiments with Truth' by Mahatma Gandhi! In many ways, this is a somewhat unusual autobiography. The events described in the book are a hundred years old, but Gandhi has a way of describing their essence which is timeless, and will grip you in a way that makes them entirely relevant to today's world. It made me wonder how the world might have been if people today only followed his ideas. But this is no boring lecture on politics or nonviolence. In fact quite the opposite - it is the sparkling story of a very special man told in his own words. We learn about truth and non-violence in the best way possible, by observing Gandhi's actions as he goes about matters small and big. It brought Gandhi to life in a very special way. I always admired his principles, but now feel closer to Gandhi the man.

Vijay
infibeam.com
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: vijaysub

a book that has inspired me, I would say it was 'The Story of My Experiments with Truth' by Mahatma Gandhi! In many ways, this is a somewhat unusual autobiography. The events described in the book are a hundred years old, but Gandhi has a way of describing their essence which is timeless, and will grip you in a way that makes them entirely relevant to today's world. It made me wonder how the world might have been if people today only followed his ideas. But this is no boring lecture on politics or nonviolence. In fact quite the opposite - it is the sparkling story of a very special man told in his own words. We learn about truth and non-violence in the best way possible, by observing Gandhi's actions as he goes about matters small and big. It brought Gandhi to life in a very special way. I always admired his principles, but now feel closer to Gandhi the man.

Vijay
infibeam.com

I've always wanted to read Gandhi's autobiography, but somehow I've just never seem to have gotton around to it. This is now my next MUST read! Thanks for your insights!