TOTW--How to Walk in High Heels

Posted: 14 years ago
Welcome Everyone!

In this weeks
"TIP OF THE WEEK"

we are going to learn how to walk in high heels!

A Girl's Guide to High Heels - Part 1- How to Walk in Heels

Written by Zephyr - CF Editor 

Yes, it's another shoe post here! We talked about winter boots last week, and today I want to talk about a classier type of shoe that every woman should own ' high heels.

Even if you think you're "too tall" or "can't walk in heels", think again. Every fashionista should own at least one pair of fabulous heels ' they're the perfect example a true fashion must-have, a transformative piece of clothing that adds a little extra something to any outfit.

This is part one of a new series you'll see here over the next few days ' A Girl's Guide To High Heels. This series will cover everything you might want to know about heels ' from how to tell a quality shoe, what to spend on a pair of heels, and even where to buy the perfect pair of high heels.

If you don't wear heels or don't have any good quality high heels, this series will hopefully help take some of the mystery away and maybe teach you a few things you didn't know about these fabulous shoes.

How To Walk In High Heels

I've received a lot of emails about walking in heels, so I thought I'd write an article about it to demystify it a bit. But just hear this.. learning to walk in heels is something that takes lots of practice, and it's not something you can learn just by reading an article!

That said, here are my top tips to get you started. With practice, you'll be strutting like a pro in the highest heels!

Start small. If you've never walked in high heels before, don't start out learning with 5 inch stilettos ' that's a recipe for pain and maybe even injury! Try something smaller, like a 2 inch heel or wedge to get used to the feeling. You can always work your way up to your most killer heels.

Walk heel to toe, not toe to heel. While it might be tempting to put your whole foot down at once, don't do it ' it makes your walk look strange when you're wearing high shoes. Instead, put your heel down first, followed by your toe. This will give you more balance and make your stride look more natural.

Take small steps. Wearing heels naturally makes your stride shorter, so you'll need to take more steps than usual. Don't expect to be able to walk as fast as you normally do in high heels.

Step as if you were walking on a straight line. When you walk with one foot in front of the other, it gives your hips the sway that models are known for. Pretend you're walking on a line on the ground, one foot in front of the other, or practice on an actual straight line at a basketball court or on a line in the floor.

Watch how models do it. Download a video of a fashion show on YouTube and watch the professionals strut in their high heels. While models walk the runway in a way that's exaggerated from real life, you can learn from their walks and tone it down a little to get the perfect normal-person strut. Practice in front of a mirror until you get it down.

Practice' Then practice some more. At the end of the day, the best way to become a pro at walking in high heels is to do it as often as possible. Practice walking on carpet, slippery floors, up stairs, and outside. No amount of reading how to do it will make a difference if you don't work at it. Walking in high heels is like any other skill ' you need to do it a lot to get good at it.

More About High Heels

Now that you know how to walk in heels, check back here for the next part in the Girl's Guide To High Heels series where I'll explain how to find quality high heels, what to look for when you're shopping, and how much money you should spend on a pair of heels.

Link to the article

Love,

Fashion and Beauty Dev. Team

Edited by Jess. - 14 years ago
Hehe great choice of topic
Im not a bad walker in heels but I'd definitely like to get better
Heel-to-toe and small steps tips were good, thats how I walk and apparently it looks more elegant and less stumpy
lol these tips are really good! i remmeber my first pair of heels lol i was only 14 i think....i definitely agree wiht starting out small...my first heels were only like 2" stilettos ...now i can walk around all day in heels :)

great tipsss, thanks for sharing jess!πŸ‘
^^ i was interested in makeup and heels and all that since i was a kid πŸ˜†
i used to ruin all my mom's make-up and all that haha

i also started with 2 inch heels :D
now i've worked my way up to 4 -5 inches

Wow.   I prefer two-inch heels or like stacked heels, they dont require a lot of practice.    But three or more inches would take some getting used to.   

Yeah, even if you're tall, a pair of heels is a must for every girl out there.

Great article Jess. 

Originally posted by Jess.

^^ i was interested in makeup and heels and all that since i was a kid πŸ˜†
i used to ruin all my mom's make-up and all that haha

i also started with 2 inch heels :D
now i've worked my way up to 4 -5 inches

lol same i can handle 5" ...walking around and all but not like all day lol that would kill

aww haha my niece does that...a while back i left her in my room to go answer the phone and i came back and she was covered in lipstick and not only that she decided to give my furniture a makeover too LOL
and she goes....jia, dont i look pretty?πŸ˜†
Originally posted by shopah0lic_xo

lol same i can handle 5" ...walking around and all but not like all day lol that would kill

aww haha my niece does that...a while back i left her in my room to go answer the phone and i came back and she was covered in lipstick and not only that she decided to give my furniture a makeover too LOL
and she goes....jia, dont i look pretty?πŸ˜†

aww cute!
i have pictures of me as a kid...like 2-3 years old and my lips/mouth is all pink from lipstick haha i totally went out of the lip line πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

walking in heels totally kills my feet...i can only walk around for a bit but after like 1/2 an hour it hurts like hell and then i just have to bear it πŸ˜†
but i only wear heels for parties...πŸ˜›
I like the attitude of heels, esp power heels.

But I like flip flops.  They are just so cool. 
Originally posted by Jess.

aww cute!
i have pictures of me as a kid...like 2-3 years old and my lips/mouth is all pink from lipstick haha i totally went out of the lip line πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

walking in heels totally kills my feet...i can only walk around for a bit but after like 1/2 an hour it hurts like hell and then i just have to bear it πŸ˜†
but i only wear heels for parties...πŸ˜›

awww! thats adorableeeπŸ˜ƒ

lol same here but for work i have to dress formal so i dont like pairing my outfits with flats...and then i end p wearing heels and my job requires a lot of moving from one place to another lol so yeah do the math

i dread wearing heels for parties after putting up with them all week but theyre so cute that i cant resist even with the pain πŸ˜†
I would just go for dressy flats.