Post all VM Tutorials HERE - Page 2

Posted: 14 years ago

Movie Maker Video Editing Tutorial

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZXK68NS7gU[/YOUTUBE]
SOME IMPORTANT LINKS TO STARTERS

Movie Making software for Mac (Freeware)

Downloading Streaming Videos

1. Youtube Downloader + Converter.

General Points:
  • Download videos from YouTube, Google Video, MySpaceTV and many others
  • Allows you to download YouTube videos for which you need to be 18+ years of age
  • Converts video for Ipod, Iphone, PSP, Cell Phone, Windows Media, XVid and MP3
  • Provides the ability to cut and select the output quality of converted videos
  • Uses the FFmpeg engine to convert the videos
  • Plays videos downloaded in Flash
  • Extremely easy to use

System Requirement:
  • Intel Pentium 233 Mhz (or equivalent processor, such as AMD) or better
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista
  • Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
  • 64 MB of RAM
  • Adobe Flash Player
  • Visual Basic 6.0 Run-Time Files

2. Using Keepvid
http://keepvid.com/

Points to be Noted
  • The video saved her will be in flv format.
  • Use an alternative convertor or Youtube dowloader to convert the videos to desired format. You will need FLV player to play such videos. The FLV player is available here :

Video Convertors

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ (Freeware)

Any Video Converter Freeware- the Free Video Converter - is the most renowned free video converter for converting video files between various formats, with fast converting speed and excellent video quality. This powerful free video converter application makes video conversion quick and easy.

Input formats:

avi, asf, mov, rm, rmvb, flv, mkv, mpg, 3gp, m4v, vob, YouTube videos

Output formats:

avi, mp4, wmv, flv, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, mpg (PAL or NTSC), mp3, wma, ogg, aac

Some important links for Mac users :

Video Downloaders :

Video Convertors : http://macvideoconverter.mac-dvd.com/

Edited by shaktheback - 14 years ago
FAQ's on Windows Movie Maker + Troubleshooting Tips.

Installing Movie Maker 2.1

Q.How do I get Movie Maker 2.1?
A.

Movie Maker 2.1 is included in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). To download Windows XP SP2, go to Microsoft Update.

Q.How can I tell which version of Movie Maker is installed on my computer?
A.

To determine which version of Movie Maker is installed on your computer

In Movie Maker, click the Help menu, and then click About Windows Movie Maker.

In the About Windows Movie Maker dialog box, note the version number. Version 2.1.4026.0 is Movie Maker version 2.1, and version 2.0.3312.0 is Movie Maker version 2.0.

Q.After upgrading to SP2 with the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack installed, I get an older version of the Windows Movie Maker Help file. What can I do to fix this issue?
A.

Install the latest Multilingual User Interface Packs (MUI) for Movie Maker 2.1. You can download the latest MUI packages from the .

Q.Where can I find more information to help me use Movie Maker?
A.

To learn more about Movie Maker, please visit these Web sites:

'

Microsoft Windows Movie Maker Web site. This Web site contains instructions, information, and articles about using Movie Maker.

'

PapaJohn's Windows Movie Maker Web site. This non-Microsoft Web site is maintained by PapaJohn, a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP). The site contains information about using Movie Maker and troubleshooting common issues.

'

Windows Movie Makers Web site. This non-Microsoft Web site contains tutorials that focus on how to use Movie Maker.

'

Dean Rowe's blog. This Web site is maintained by one of the Movie Maker lead developers. The site contains information about Movie Maker'including details about how parts of Movie Maker work together.

'

Windows Movie Maker newsgroup. This online group contains helpful postings in a question-and-answer format from other Movie Maker users.

'

Windows Movie Maker 2.1 FAQ. This Web page contains a list of frequently asked questions and answers that focus on Movie Maker 2.1.

'

Windows Movie Maker Help. In Movie Maker, click the Help menu, and then click Help Topics. Then explore all the fun things you can do in Movie Maker.

Saving a movie

Q.When I save a movie from Movie Maker to a tape in a digital video camera, why are there small patches of blue in my video?
A.

This happens when your computer cannot send the movie to your camera fast enough. When the camera is waiting for more video from your computer, it adds the blue frames.

To fix this issue

'

Close any other programs that are running before you save your movie to digital video tape. Programs that need to access the hard disk drive could slow down your computer when you're saving your movie.

'

Defragment your hard disk. When you save your movie to a digital video tape, Movie Maker creates a temporary DV-AVI file that eventually gets sent back to your camera. This file can be large'approximately 13 gigabytes (GB) per one hour of video'and Movie Maker will try to use the largest unfragmented space available in your temporary location.

'

Make sure you're using a fast, internal hard disk that has a speed of 7200 RPM or higher. Currently, many laptops have a hard disk drive speed of 4200 RPM, which can cause problems.

'

Make sure the temporary storage location is located on an NTFS partition (uncompressed) rather than FAT32. The Microsoft Support Knowledge Base offers information about how to convert the partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

Q.When I save a movie to tape in my digital video camera, why are the first few seconds of my video missing?
A.

This problem occurs if a digital video camera does not start quickly enough when saving a movie to digital video tape in Movie Maker. In this situation, Movie Maker begins sending the video to the camera before the camera is ready to begin recording to the tape. As a result, the first few seconds of the movie are not recorded to the video tape. You can work around this issue by adding a title page to the beginning of your movie that appears for several seconds.

If you don't want to display a title, simply leave it blank. If you already have a title page, extend it to display for several additional seconds. The first few seconds of the video may still be lost, but no one will really notice.

Q.Why does Movie Maker stop responding, or "hang," when I'm saving a movie?
A.

This is caused by a combination of having a complex storyboard/timeline (which may include many images, video effects, video transitions, and video) and an insufficient amount of memory. Work around this issue by removing some effects or transitions, or by saving your movie in different pieces.

Q.What can I do if Movie Maker stops responding at about 58 percent when I try to save a movie to a CD using Movie Maker?
A.

When you select the Recordable CD saving option in the Save Movie Wizard, select a movie setting other than the Best fit for recordable CD (recommended) setting. On the Movie Setting page, click Show more choices. On the Other settings list, choose the second item on the list: Video for local playback (1.5 Mbps). If you continue having problems, choose the third item on the list, Video for LAN (1.0 Mbps). Then click Next, and continue with the standard instructions.

Q.Why do I keep getting an error message that says a recordable CD drive was not detected when saving a movie to a CD using Movie Maker?
A.

This can be a result of having third-party CD-writing software installed that does not work properly with the CD-writing functionality of Windows XP, or of having a recordable CD that has already been written.

To resolve this issue, try one of the following

'

If you have an HP DVD+R/+RW DVD writer installed on your computer, the HP Direct Letter Access (DLA) driver might be installed on your computer. You can turn off DLA, which should let you successfully save your movie to a recordable CD.

'

Verify that the CD was not already written to using a third-party CD-writing program such as Nero. Movie Maker expects a CD to have a Joliet (mode 2) disc format. However, some CD-writing programs write discs using a different format. To solve the problem, insert a new, blank recordable CD. In the future, choose Joliet (mode 2) when originally writing to the CD using third-party CD-writing programs.

Q.I can't send a movie as an attachment in an e-mail message. Why is this?
A.

If you cannot successfully save and send a movie in e-mail by using Send in e-mail in Movie Maker, try one of the following:

'

If your default e-mail program is not installed correctly or does not support Message Application Programming Interface (MAPI), set Outlook Express as the default e-mail program.

'

If an error message indicates that the video file is too large to send in e-mail, reduce the size of your movie by reducing the amount of video or audio on the storyboard/timeline. Or you can increase the file-size limit for sending a movie in e-mail as an attachment.

Q.What can I do if I'm having problems uploading my movie to a video-hosting provider through Movie Maker?
A.

First, verify that you have a working Internet connection. This connection is required to upload your movie to a video-hosting provider's Web site. The connection ensures that a current listing of video-hosting providers for your country or region is automatically downloaded to your computer. If you cannot successfully send a movie to a video-hosting provider's Web site, try the following:

'

Make sure the user name and password are entered correctly.

'

Verify that you have enough available disk space for your account on the video-hosting provider's site.

'

Verify that a movie with the same file name does not already appear on your account on the video-hosting provider's site.

'

Reduce the video quality setting. Some video-hosting providers place a limit on the maximum bit rate for a movie file that you can upload to their site.

Q.What can I do if the video in my movie plays unevenly?
A.

If you saved your movie using one of the DV-AVI movie settings, the movie may play back unevenly on a slower computer. Save the movie using Windows Media Video format (WMV) instead. If you saved a movie as a WMV file and the video plays back unevenly, try the following:

'

Reduce the amount of transitions or effects on the storyboard/timeline in Movie Maker, and then try saving the movie again. Many transitions and effects can result in dropped frames in the saved movie, which degrades the quality of the movie.

'

Save the movie using a movie setting that has a smaller display size. For example, rather than saving the movie in the Save Movie Wizard with a movie setting that displays video at 640 x 480 pixels, choose a movie setting that displays video at 320 x 240 pixels.

'

Choose a movie setting that uses variable bit rate (VBR), which can increase the smoothness in the video. On the Movie Setting page, click Show more choices. On the Other settings list, choose High quality video (large). If you continue having problems, choose the next item on the list, High quality video (small). Then click Next, and continue with the standard instructions.

Q.What can I do if I saved a movie in Movie Maker that includes an imported Microsoft Photo Story, and the resulting movie appears black?
A.

This may occur if the Photo Story you imported into Movie Maker was saved at a higher display setting, such as 1024 x 768 pixels.

To work around this issue

In Photo Story, save your story with a setting that has a smaller display size, such as 640 x 480 pixels.

Import the resulting Photo Story into Movie Maker.

Add the Photo Story to the storyboard/timeline in Movie Maker, edit it (if necessary), and then try saving the movie again.

Q.What can I do if my saved movie contains solid black frames for a portion of the video?
A.

To work around this issue, try one or more of the following

'

Verify that you have the latest version of Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime installed on your computer. You can download Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime from the Microsoft Download Center.

'

Remove some of the video transitions or effects from the storyboard/timeline, and then try saving the movie again.

'

Keep the transitions and effects on the storyboard/timeline, but save the movie in pieces as several smaller DV-AVI files. You can then import the saved AVI files into Movie Maker, add them to the storyboard/timeline, and save it as one movie file.

Q.How can I improve the quality of a movie that I want to send as an attachment in an e-mail message?
A.

You can improve the quality of your saved movie when you choose Send in e-mail by increasing the maximum e-mail attachment file-size limit in Movie Maker. For detailed instructions on how to increase the maximum attachment size, read Save your movie for e-mail.

Q.Can I save my movie by using a movie setting that is not listed in the Save Movie Wizard?
A.

Yes, you can create your own movie settings and use them to save your movie in Movie Maker. To create your own movie settings, you can use the Windows Media Profile Editor, which is installed with Windows Media Encoder 9 Series.

IMPORTING VIDEO

Q.Can I import video recorded using Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 into Movie Maker?
A.

Unfortunately, video recorded in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, which is an MPEG-2 file that has a .dvr-ms file name extension, cannot be imported into Movie Maker.

CAPTURING VIDEO

Q.Why doesn't Movie Maker recognize my Sony MicroMV video camera?
A.

Sony MicroMV video cameras record and put out video in the MPEG-2 video format, which unfortunately cannot be captured in Movie Maker.

To work around this issue, do one of the following

'

Use the software that came with your Sony MicroMV video camera to capture video from the camera, and then import the resulting video file into Movie Maker.

'

Connect your Sony MicroMV camera to your computer using an analog connection, such as an S-video cable or RCA cable, and then capture the video using Movie Maker.

Q.How can I prevent dropped frames in a captured video file?
A.

To prevent dropped frames

'

Defragment your hard disk.

'

Close any other programs that are running when you are capturing video. Other programs can slow down the hard disk drive, which could result in dropped video frames.

'

Make sure the temporary storage location is located on an NTFS partition (uncompressed) rather than FAT32. The Microsoft Support Knowledge Base offers information on how to convert the partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

'

Turn off the video preview when capturing video from a digital video camera. To turn off the video preview, clear the Show preview during capture check box on the Capture Method page of the Video Capture Wizard.

'

Choose a lower video quality setting in the Video Capture Wizard when capturing video.

'

If possible, upgrade your computer. Adding more memory (up to 1 GB), a faster hard drive (look for hard disks with 7200 RPM or higher), or a faster processor can help prevent dropped frames when capturing video.

Q.Can I use digital video pass-through in Movie Maker to capture video from an analog device through a digital video camera?
A.

Yes, Movie Maker 2.1 supports digital video pass-through.

Q.Why does my captured audio and video get out of synch for longer video clips after saving my movie?
A.

This can happen if your computer is low on disk space, your hard disk drive is fragmented, or you are running other programs while capturing video. Captured audio and video may also get out of synch if you capture the audio for the video with a lower setting, such as 16 kHz rather than 44.1 kHz, and do not edit the video.

To work around this issue, try one of the following

'

Defragment your hard disk.

'

Split the video clip on the storyboard/timeline into several shorter clips.

'

Add a short video transition between clips or trim a few frames from a video clip, and then save the movie.

Q.What can I do if Movie Maker stops capturing video when I use the controls in the Video Capture Wizard to rewind or fast forward when capturing video from a digital video camera connected to my computer using a USB 2.0 connection?
A.

This is a known issue in Movie Maker. Video might not be captured successfully when you capture video from a digital video camera that is a USB Video Class (UVC) device and is connected to your computer using a USB 2.0 connection. This issue primarily occurs when you hold down the Fast Forward or Rewind buttons that appear in the DV camera controls area in the Video Capture Wizard in Movie Maker.

To work around this issue and capture video

'

Follow the instructions for downloading movies using a USB or analog connection in . Make sure you click Stop Capture before fast-forwarding or rewinding your tape.

Previewing and editing video and audio

Q.Why is the audio distorted and playing faster than normal?
A.

This can occur if the InterVideo Audio Decoder (Iviaudio.ax) video filter, which is installed with InterVideo WinDVD, is on your computer.

To fix this audio issue

Make sure this video filter is turned off in Movie Maker.

In Movie Maker, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

On the Compatibility tab, clear the InterVideo Audio Decoder check box. Then click OK.

Q.How can I edit AVI or DivX files in Movie Maker when I cannot seek from one frame to another?
A.

After importing the AVI or DivX video file into Movie Maker, add it to the storyboard/timeline without editing the video, and then save the movie as a WMV file by using the Save Movie Wizard in Movie Maker. You can then import the resulting WMV file into Movie Maker and edit the file.

Q.What can I do if Movie Maker shuts down unexpectedly when I add video transitions or effects?
A.

To resolve this issue

On the Compatibility tab, clear the DivX AntiFreeze Filter check box, if that check box is available. Then click OK.

Compatibility tab in Movie Maker Options dialog box with filter check box cleared

If the DivX AntiFreeze Filter is not there, or if you still experience unexpected shutdowns, follow these steps.

'

a. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

'

b. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab. Then click Advanced.

'

c. Click the Troubleshoot tab. Drag the Hardware acceleration slider to the third line from the left. Then click OK.

Q.Why do I get an error message about hardware acceleration when I click the Take Picture button?
A.

In Movie Maker, you can take a picture of a frame of video and save the individual frame as an image (with a .jpg file name extension). However, if hardware acceleration is turned off, or if your display adapter does not support hardware acceleration, you cannot take a picture.

To turn on hardware acceleration (if your display adapter supports hardware acceleration)

Close Movie Maker.

Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab. Then click Advanced.

Click the Troubleshoot tab. Make note of the current position of the Hardware acceleration slider. Drag the Hardware acceleration all the way to the right. Click Apply.

Start Movie Maker, and play the video. Pause playback at the frame you want to capture as a picture, and then click the Take Picture button under the Preview Monitor to take a picture.

Close Movie Maker.

Return to the Troubleshoot tab of the advanced display properties dialog box. Reset the Hardware acceleration slider to the original position, and then click OK.

Q.What can I do if Movie Maker stops responding when I drag the playback indicator on the timeline for a project that has a lot of audio, video, images, or titles on the storyboard/timeline?
A.

You can prevent this from happening by adding a new value in Registry Editor.

Important: Before making any changes in Registry Editor, you should back up valuable files on your computer and the registry itself. For more information about the registry, see the Windows Help and Support Center.

To add a new registry key for Movie Maker to prevent the timeline from not responding

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Run dialog box, type regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, navigate to the following location: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MM20].

Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

For the new registry key name, type DynamicSourcesforPreview, and then press ENTER on your keyboard. The default value of 0 is correct, so you do not need to set the value.

Close Registry Editor, and restart Movie Maker. Movie Maker should no longer stop responding when you drag the playback indicator on the timeline.

Important: This change can decrease the performance of Movie Maker.

Q.Why do I get an ActiveMovie window when I play back audio and video in Movie Maker?
A.

This issue is often caused by the DirectShow Subtitle Filter (subtitds.ax) that is installed by a non-Microsoft program.

To turn this filter off in Movie Maker

On the Compatibility tab, clear the DirectShow Subtitle Filter check box. Then click OK.

Troubleshooting Movie Maker 2.1

Q.What can I do if Movie Maker closes when I try to start it after installing video programs that include new Microsoft DirectShow video transitions and video effects?
A.

The video transitions and effects already in Movie Maker are based on DirectShow. However, Movie Maker will quit unexpectedly if more than 100 DirectShow video transitions or video effects are installed on your computer. If video programs that contain additional DirectShow video transitions and video effects are installed on your computer, this may exceed the allowable amount.

Programs that install additional DirectShow video transitions and video effects include Windows Movie Maker 2 Winter Fun Pack 2003, Pixelan SpiceFX Packs for Windows Movie Maker, and InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2.

To work around this issue, remove one or more of the programs that install additional video effects or video transitions.

Q.Which video filters can cause issues in Movie Maker 2.1?
A.

Some Microsoft DirectShow video filters are installed by non-Microsoft video and audio programs and are known to cause issues in Movie Maker when you try to import or preview audio and video or save a movie in Movie Maker. To prevent such issues, these filters are turned off by default in Movie Maker 2.1, which is included in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Note: Turning off DirectShow video filters in Movie Maker 2.1 does not affect their functionality in other video and audio programs that might be installed on your computer. The DirectShow video filters that are turned off in Movie Maker 2.1 include those in the following table.

Video filter nameFile nameVersion number

DivX AntiFreeze Filter

Divxaf.ax

0.0.0.0-0.4.0.0

Kristal Studio

Ac3audio.ax

All

InterVideo Audio Decoder

Iviaudio.ax

All

Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher

Mmswitch.ax

All

FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder

Ffdshow.ax

All

DirectShow Subtitle Filter

Subtitds.ax

All

To turn video filters off or on in Movie Maker 2.1

On the Compatibility tab, clear the filter check box to disable a filter. Select the filter check box to enable the filter. Click OK.

For more information about video filters and Movie Maker, see Working with Video Filters in Windows Movie Maker 2.1.

Q.What can I do if I try to capture video from an analog video camera or VCR by using the TV tuner card on my computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, and I get an error message stating that the device is in use?
A.

To resolve this issue, you can try to temporarily disable the Media Center Receiver Service. Then you can try to record video in Movie Maker from your analog video camera or VCR. If the Media Center Receiver Service is not running, any TV programs scheduled for recording will not be recorded. Therefore, after capturing video in Movie Maker, make sure you reset the Media Center Receiver Service Startup type to Automatic so that it starts up automatically after you restart Windows.

To disable the Media Center Receiver Service

Log on to your computer as an administrator.

In the Open box, type services.msc, and then click OK to open the Services window.

In the right pane, click Media Center Receiver Service.

Click the Action menu, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, under Startup type, click Disabled, and then click OK.

Restart Microsoft Windows.

Now, capture video in Movie Maker from your analog video camera or VCR.

After you have captured your video, re-enable Media Center recording by configuring the Media Center Receiver Service to start automatically again

Log on to your computer as an administrator.

In the Open box, type services.msc, and then click OK to open the Services window.

Click the Media Center Receiver Service.

On the Action menu, click Properties.

On the General tab, under Startup type, click Automatic, and then click OK.

Restart Microsoft Windows.

Q.What can I do if I cannot capture audio and video in Movie Maker 2.1 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition when I try to capture analog video and audio using an ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card as the audio device?
A.

This is a known issue in Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. When you choose the ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card in the Video Capture Wizard as the audio device rather than the default sound card that's installed on your computer, video and audio cannot be captured successfully. To resolve the problem, remove the Audio Device registry key using Registry Editor.

Important: Before making any changes in Registry Editor, you should back up valuable files on your computer and the registry itself. For more information about the registry, see the Windows Help and Support Center.

To remove the Audio Device registry key

If you see an error message stating that the interface is not supported, click OK, and then close Movie Maker 2.1.

In the Run dialog box, type regedit, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, navigate to the following location: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MM20\Video Capture Wizard].

In the right pane, right-click Audio Device, and then click Delete

Registry Editor window with Delete selected from the Audio Device shortcut menu

When prompted, click Yes

Close Registry Editor.

Now, capture video in Movie Maker from your analog video camera or VCR.

I hope it helps everyone :)
i use da same but video chalte hui kahan se mile ge
Originally posted by lavuza99

i use da same but video chalte hui kahan se mile ge

Video chalthe hui ?? You mean Running Video ??
Download it from Youtube ! 😛
Can someone tell  me how to compress videos.
Thanks
Edited by ashwini6000 - 14 years ago
heyy people can someone pls give me the link  of the any website from which we can download WMM, i know its built in with the system but mine has some problems so i was thinking to download it again, it will be realy kind of someone post the dl link of wmm.

mallu