Swapna, Updates on the Kids - Page 3

Posted: 14 years ago
CONGRATS Mahika.

I wish you a billion a trillion an infinite such kisses from the lil un.

Love you loads,
Padma
Halloo Everyone,

Mahika, I'm so pleased to hear about your son giving you sugar over the weekend!  :)  The first time Rish kissed me was a very special memory, and somehow by a twist of fate/co-incidence, my husband just happened to have the camera in his hands at the time.  So, I have a pic of Rish pulling my ears and hair to  his little baby face (he was 3 & 1/2 at the time) and smacking a wet one right on my mouth, in a frame that says "I Love Mommy", which I keep right beside my bed.  It's the last thing at night and the first thing in the morning that I see every day!  :)

Never mind tantrums and all the hard days or trying times we go through, parenting these little angels, I' ve always said they give so much more to us than we could ever give them in one lifetime of being their parents.  Just watching my son interact with a dog makes my heart melt, to see him actually grasp a concept for the first time, the wonder and understanding in his little eyes...  there are countless little tiny insignificant little everyday things that he does which are just priceless experiences to me, and he is really an invaluable gift God gave my husband and I.

Take Care All! :)
Swapna
@ Skep: Woow! That must have been a real exhausting day!! I'm glad you made it through, and it must be really rewarding teaching the kids! 😃 I can't really blame the kid for screaming about the fly though because just last night I started screaming because a lizard was in our living room! 😆

@ Mahika: I'm sooo happy to hear that your son gave you a kiss for the first time! I hope many more are to come. I can understand why you got so emotional about it.

@ Swapna: You're so lucky to have such a cute picture of you and Rish by your night stand! 😃
Hey Skep, are you a speech therapist as well as a teacher?  I have a question for you about what kind of techniques you use to help your kids grasp comprehension when they read a story?  Rish has a lot of trouble with this aspect of his learning, and I'm trying to gather various ways of seeing how to help him with it.  They are doing their thing to help in school, but I want to supplement that at home too.  Hope you don't mind my asking your opinion on this, but since you do work with special needs kids, I thought you would have a good perspective about it.

Thanks!
Swapna
Skep, We are here to pick your brains.

I am trying to figure out how to get my son some extra speech therapy.  He has an evaluation next week, but there is a loooooong waiting list for actual services.

Then I found out that it is not covered by our insurance because they only cover speech therapy in the event of, say, vocal cord damage, so he doesn't qualify because his is no speech from birth.

😡

I just think that he is not going to start talking unless he has more help, but we cannot possibly afford the services on our own. Must do more investigating.

Feeling very annoyed about everyone trying to hide Antara's condition at Arti's wedding. Anyway the horrid FIL thinks Antara is adopted, so why would it matter if she has any genetic disorder....

Mahika.

Mahika,

I remember in TX that we were told when we were looking to get speech for Rish that if he was classified as having a developmental disorder as opposed to being on the Autism Spectrum, it would hurt his chances of getting private speech.  Your son must have been classified as having ASD when he received his initial diagnosis right?  If so then the insurance co.'s cannot claim that his is a developmental disorder to refuse services.  Maybe you can look into that angle with them.

Also, there is a place in Plainsboro called Eden Autism Services that may be able to give you advice/help when it comes to getting therapy.  They also advise the WW-P school district on classroom protocols for their autism classrooms.  Their website is: http://www.edenservices.org/.  Hopefully you'll be able to get a hold of some way to get help or advice on how to get your son more speech services.  Let me know how things go, I'm praying for your son to get the services he needs.

Take Care,
Swapna

@  Mahika and Swapna:  I didn't realize that there were so many loopholes in the  system like that! That's  really bad because whether it's autism or special needs, they both require certain training and specialized programs. There must be some loophole for you,  Mahika! I will also pray that your son gets the help he needs without pinching the pocket too much!

Varsha,

You would not believe the crap that insurance companies come up with to get out of paying for services for people!!!  I've been dealing with them for almost 7 years now since my Rish was first diagnosed at age 3 and a half!  I hate them to the core, or rather the penny pinching execs who run them, having taken our premiums and ignoring the fact that we pay through the nose to get help for our kids, they still find all sorts of loopholes to use when it come to getting out of paying for services.  I have friends back in TX who've actually had to resort to legal action to help their kid get speech therapy from insurance companies, and are still going through the whole nightmare, most likely with no positive result going to happen for them!  After all the companies have a much larger and more expensive set of battalion of lawyes at their disposal... sad to say, but the ways of the world are such unfortunately :(.😡 ðŸ˜­

Swapna
It's a sad state indeed! People just think about money money money! They have no compassion or sympathy for other people's situation. If people stopped thinking about themselves, then this world would be a better place in general. Too bad life isn't like that.

I really do hope that in the near future that children with special needs are better represented in general!

My mother doesn't have insurance issues because my brother is not that in need of help, but she had similar problems with the school systems. They won't test or label him properly because he's perfectly functional and able on the outside. They just say he had ADD, but we all at home know the problem is deeper than that.

People just don't really care when the matter doesn't concern them, and it's really sad. If people don't help each other, then who will?

Wow....I really went waaay too deep into all those things, but it's things that I think about on like a daily basis almost in one way or another.
Varsha,

I completely understand what your mum must have gone through.  Asperger's Syndrome is on the Autism Spectrum and is an even milder form than PDD-NOS is but ti also frequently is mis-diagnosed as ADD or ADHD.  Kids with AS also have a lot os issues and generally also have speech and OT issues that need help, even though they almost always are verbal kids.

Is your brother out of the school system now?

Swapna