News: Barack Obama wins the Nobel Prize

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 14 years ago

Hello friends!😊

Here is an article from Indian Express.

President Barack Obama on Friday won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.

The committee said it attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play."

----

As usual comments on this issue on social networking sites were very quick to come.

Another article from CNN now:

News that U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize has been as polarizing as his embattled healthcare reform plans.
After Obama's win, Spanish newspaper El Pais published a cartoon showing the president as a black peace dove.

After Obama's win, Spanish newspaper El Pais published a cartoon showing the president as a black peace dove.

Minutes after the news broke, social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook were flooded with comments.

Half of the trending topics on microblogging site Twitter were about the prize and the U.S. President.

Opinion was largely divided on Twitter between those who think Obama is a worthy recipient -- and those who question how he won the prize after just eight months in office.

Antwanp tweeting from Nacogdoches, USA, said it was "a great day for the United States," while kmariiezy called it a "beautiful thing."

"Wooow!! Obama wins the Nobel peaceprize. Think it's kind of early, but he is a symbol for hope, so... Congratulations!!" was gier008 from Norway's opinion.

While aaronmagner from Australia wrote: "Filled with happiness and hope by Obama's Nobel peace prize."

However DAPdave from Holly Springs, North Carolina, sounded a note of caution with his tweet saying: "I hope Obama proves to us all that he deserves this Nobel Peace Prize."

Equally vocal were those who did not think the U.S. President deserved the accolade, the first awarded to a White House incumbent in 90 years.

Ahlheid from Germany wrote: "Ridiculous! Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize. I am wondering what for? Replacing Bush? So far he has accomplished virtually nothing!"

While Michael Lipkin in Tehran, Iran, wrote: "If Obama deserves the Noble Peace Prize then so does every Miss America contestant who babbles about world peace."

Boston-based Marcela_Elisa wrote: "Can someone explain? I thought award was for accomplishments, not intentions."

Others like Mohammed, from Johannesburg, South Africa, point to the irony of awarding the peace prize to someone who is presiding over two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He wrote: "So Barack Obama wins Nobel prize for literature for his books and not peace - cos last I heard Afghanistan is still a war zone."

While Poipoi91, from Paris, wondered if "they couldn't find anyone else for the title."

Some like markknoller from Washington DC, said the title is "worth nothing," because "Obama took office less than 10 days before the Feb. 1 deadline for Nobel Prize nominations."

Some users, such as nurdfighter joked that the prize is "a pathetic way of getting Obama to visit Norway."

Meanwhile kzamri writing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, said: "How can Obama get the Nobel Peace Prize hours before the U.S. is supposed to bomb the Moon?!" in reference to NASA's attempt to crash a probe into the lunar surface a few hours after Obama's win.

Spain's leading newspaper El Pais published a cartoon by political cartoonist Forges depicting President Obama as a black peace dove holding an olive branch.

The Nobel committee most probably was asked to choose someone on short notice and didn't get time to think. 😛
Originally posted by souro

The Nobel committee most probably was asked to choose someone on short notice and didn't get time to think. 😛

right. when i heard this. i was like for what?
I think so too.  How can a President having troops waging war in Afghanistan win the Nobel Peace Prize? 😕
Hmmm.... interesting, I think President Obama has the potential but he hasn't done something that great yet.... so don't know why the Nobel Prize, but hopefully he'll use this as an inspiration and do something great soon!

-Mahi
Congratulations and well deserved Mr. Obama, rock on and take the US to new heights of prosperity and glory
He hasn't done anything yet though. :S