DOTW l Vidding: Underappreciated ?

Posted: 14 years ago

Welcome to this week's DOTW folks! 😃

Vidding: Underappreciated ?

Having interacted with alot of creative people on IF (and other forums), I have a general feeling that vidding, as an art, is extremely underrated and underappreciated. Alot of people feel it is easier to make a video than a signature because all one has to do is open WMM, import a song, import few scenes, throw them in together and it's done. I'm not comparing Signature making and vidding, I respect both the arts equally, I was only trying to elaborate through an example. Another example is IF itself - The VM section was opened after a series of constant requests, by the mods, by the members etc, inspite of the fact that fantastic vidders have been displaying their creations on IF since a very long time. I'm not scrutinizing IF so please don't take it the negative way, I'm simply stating my observation :)

Now, for me, the obvious question is that why is it that people think that vidding is a skill that any layman can master ? That all one needs is a computer with WMM installed on it to be called a 'vidder' or 'VM maker' ? Why is vidding underappreciated when sites like YouTube are full of extremely talented and imaginative vidders ? Afterall, once can create a whole new story, a tale, a chronicle with a software as simple as WMM.

We all would have a different answer to this question, because all of us have different interpretations - Some may not even feel that this statement is true, but that's the whole spice of 'debating', isn't it ? 😉 

Have fun while discussing this topic! Looking forward to all the varied views, maybe my opinion stands changed at the end of the week ;)

Thankyou
Neeta 😊
Edited by -Neetz- - 14 years ago
I have been doing both Siggies as well as VMs but believe me both are difficult tasks and making VMs are especially more difficult !!.

I would never agree with a person saying its easy to make VMS. NO IT IS NOT !!! U need the right scenes. The sync of scenes need to be right with the lyrics of the song which is NOT AN EASY TASK !!! I seriously believe that VM makers are really provided with talent and PATIENCE which is really important. U can make siggies in maybe 10 mins. or max 1 hr. but making a single VM requires more than one hour !!! I dont want to compare both the things coz both are totally different. But since i make both for me, i would say that VM making is a more difficult task as compared to siggie making !!!

I agree neetz, i have been making Vmz for for a really long tyme, i don't know buy they help me relax and take my mind off my problems.

When i sit down to make a vm, from the downloading of scenes, to effects takes a really long time, because first u have to get scenes that match the song you use, because not all scenes fit the song u might be using. Then you have add effects to make it look appealing to the eyes of the veiwers, So trust me overall it takes alott of effort to put together a vm that you know ppl wud watch. ALso neetz ur rigth pppl do think think making vm is easy but trust me like they say " there is always more to it then it meets to the eyes" applies to making vmz there is alott of work involved. Yes ofcourse everyone who makes vm would like to be apperiacited just like the person who makes sigggy, though that does nto seem to be happening in th e forums, there're are many talented vm makers who derseve alott of repect and this👏

So this goes out to all th evm maker, you guys are doing a wonderful job, keep it up!!!!!!!👏

-Sanam-

Awesome topic. I don't know I feel I can express myself better with videomixes and though it takes more time it's easier. Maybe because I like telling stories and that's what a vm can do. As for signatures sometimes I just feel stuck and nothing looks good.

We have such awesome videomakers here. I wish we had more people appreciating all these videomixes. I am extremely happy that we got this separate section. I love watching vms but a lot of time it's hard to watch vms regularly without going to youtube directly. Now I no longer have to do that and just watch my favorite vidders shops.
well i think it is underappreciated..but would never agree that its easy..i dont know how to make them n the reason is that its so tough!..n i dont even wanna try bcuz of that..lol..i've tried making sigs..but they turned out trashy too..but still...VM's are definately more difficult..

n its just not putting in scenes and matching it with a song..u gotta tell a story..n people should enjoy it..!..

m glad we have such VM makers on IF ..this section should have come earlier..but atleast its here now!

nice tpc neeta
I've been making both VMs and siggies, and I've appreciated the talents of both creators for a long time. I have to say though, seeing the people around me, they seem to appreciate less the effort that goes into picking a suitable song, picking scenes to go with it, cutting down the scenes, adding in effects, playing around with the colouring, and everything that goes into creating the VMs we see on YT and IF, and many other sites. I'm not saying making a siggy is less hard work. It's not. Especially when you're a relative beginner in both like me. But VM making, I believe, is underappreciated. I don't know why, but it is.

Now though, I think people are opening their eyes to the painstaking patiance VM makers have to craft their works. I personally love to surf YT for VMs on many things, and faux trailers, to appreciate a person's hard work into making something that never happened in the show or movie they took the clips from seem as though it did. Case in point a trailer by the YT user themanbatman. His trailers seem as though it were an actual movie. That's the point I want to reach.

But my family thinks I'm nuts, which is a whole other story.

The point is, vidding is not as widely acknowledged as an art, though I think people are starting to appreciate it more. The talent our VM makers have is clearly opening up the eyes of people.

Love,
Radz

I would also never say that its easy. Photoshop is a lot more easier than vidding. Its not easy at all, to download the clips, scenes, music and stuff and then put effects on the video, cut it and so on. I always try to do my best and its a good way to express myself.  Especially when I vid about a couple or actors I love, and make videos about them, I always want to make sure that people who watch my videos get chills. I know its weird but its just how I think about vidding. Its like making a movie, just a smaller version of a movie.

Making siggys, icons, and stuff is way easier.
But it also depends on the software the vidder is using. I dont like to use WMM, since it lacks in effects and I also think that its more for beginners. I love Sony Vegas. And NeroVision sometimes, too.
Edited by throughmyvains - 14 years ago
great topic yaar!

i think that sig making and vidding have a separate place but if u think about it, both can require the same amount of time. a sig maker who makes 10-20 sigz could have put in the same amount of hours as a vidder on one vid. but if u're comparing the work put in one sig versus in one vid, then yeah vidding requires more work.

as for unappreciation - in non-indian fandoms - like vids of american shows and movies etc, vidding is more appreciated. at least thats what i feel. this could be due to the fact that more people watch those vids as opposed to indian fandom vids. also, many people who watch indian vids dont have a youtube account and dont visit forums so receiving comments etc can be a challenge.

anywho, here's to vidding getting its right amount of appreciation and praise! cheers.

-roz
I have to agree .. VM making is easier I feel! Coz i cannot make signatures at all.. VMs are something I can do best if I have the right songs, scenes and mood!! If everything is perfect then all falls into place eventually.. and I dont think VMs are underappreciated not especially on I-F because if it was then this forum wouldnt have had so many hits rite?
Well i make siggys and i am very new into this Videomixing but i can definately tell tht its a vry difficult task as its need lot of patience one hav to choose the rite song then the rite scenes to go wid it also proper sync is necessary otherwise it wont luk gud.we can actually create an entirely new story through videomixing .....and it gives lot of freedom to ones imaginative mind.i agree its tym consuming but wen u get ur desired output u feel so contended.:D

as for it being underappreciated i think its mainly because very few sites allow one to upload mixes, also there is a lot of copyright issues!!

I prsonally feel tht both siggymaking and vidding shud be appreciated equally . glad tht IF is finally giving VM makers a platform to showcase their creativty.Cheers for tht:)

Luv Raee<3